The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 19, 2008, 11:08 AM   #1
vranasaurus

Reloading Supplies in Louisville, KY?

Does anyone know where to find a good selection of reloading supplies in the Louisville, KY area.
Old December 19, 2008, 11:29 AM   #2
Ozzieman

No but the best there is for mail order or internet is below.
They are out of New Haven Indiana and they have the best equipment and some of the most inventive equipment available for reloading. They are a very good company to work with and have very knowledgeable people that can answer questions and give advice. They are reloaders them selves not just salesmen.
I am lucky that I can drive to there store in 15 min.
Just look at there on line catalog and you will see what I mean. They are also known for manufacturing and selling equipment that makes reloading easier.
I use an RCBS case mouth trimmer. It trims the out and inside of the case mouth. When you do several hundred 223 cases it will wear your hand out.
They came up with a simple and inexpensive item to make that easier. It’s a chunk that holds the RCBS case trimmer. It has a small allen screw and a chunk to put it into a drill.
I can trim 250 cases in less than 15 min, did that last weekend.
This is the kind of equipment that Sinclair comes up with. They also have some of the best quality equipment that money can buy.
http://www.sinclairintl.com/
Old December 19, 2008, 12:05 PM   #3
vranasaurus

I have purchased most of my equipement and supplies over the internet.

I am mainly speaking about a place to pick up bulletts, primers, powder, etc..
Sometimes it would be nice to be able to pick this stuff up without waiting for it to come in the mail.
Old December 19, 2008, 04:02 PM   #4
oneounceload

Is Gamaliel close to you?
Old December 19, 2008, 06:56 PM   #5
rg1

Nobody in Louisville stocks a decent supply of reloading components. Tilford's has some primers, usually CCI and Winchester, and is usually a dollar or two cheaper, very few bullets, a few bags of new cases,and a small supply of powder. He will order powder etc. for you. Knob Creek Gun Range carries the best supply of components. Good selection of primers, powder, and rifle bullets. Doesn't carry many jacketed pistol bullets??? No bargains. You can get bullets and primers at Sumners on Dixie Hwy. or Kieslers exit 4 off I-65 in Indiana. Bass Pro Shop has a good supply of bullets and some powder etc. Other shops such as Shooters Supply has 100/boxes of bullets, no powder, and I don't know about primers. FireArms Service Center Eastland Shopping Center carries a few components.
No scarcity of primers or powder in the area but some shops may be out of certain bullets, primers or powder. Some other shops carry a few bullets and primers. The internet buying bulk is the only way to go. I do buy primers and powder locally and a few 100/boxes of bullets occasionally.
Ever been to Whitakers just outside Owensboro.(http://www.whittakerguns.com/ )Thousands of guns and good supply of components and equipment. Bartletts Reloader surplus is in Owensboro also. (gibrass.com) He's mailorder mostly and if you pick up from him you have to call and make an appointment.

Last edited by rg1; December 19, 2008 at 07:02 PM.
Old December 19, 2008, 07:21 PM   #6
vranasaurus

I live right by Tilfords and I didn't see much when I went in there.

Keislers or bass pro do usually have the primers and powder but their selection of bullets leaves something to be desired.

I went to biffs gun world today and the lay out and organization left me speechless.

I bought two guns at shooters supply but didn't see any reloading supplies.

Firearms service center didn't really have anything.

I guess I'll just have to plan ahead and order online. I probbaly won't be ordering powder and primers because I don't like paying the $20 hazmat fee.
Old January 3, 2009, 12:22 AM   #7
j3a5a7

Keislers across the river in Jeffersonville In. or Bass Pro on Hwy. 131 in Clarksville In.
Old January 21, 2009, 04:05 PM   #8
Nate1778

Keislers had a fairly good selection of goods last time I was there. It was all located on the back wall and a lot of it you had to ask for. I know they had quite a bit of powder, as well as bullets. Not overly priced but high IMO, but you take into account shipping and it takes some of the sting out. Don't even think about buying shot there, it was $55 per 25# bag if my memory serves me correct.

Knob Creek had a LOT of reloading stuff including brass, last time I was there. We also have 3-4 gun shows a year and I have found fairly good deals on Powder and Primers, as well as dies.
Old January 21, 2009, 04:14 PM   #9
aarhunt

here`s a site for you to try if nothing else. www.midwayusa.com
Old January 21, 2009, 08:16 PM   #10
vranasaurus

I just decided to place a large order from powder valley a while ago.

Knob creek seems to have the best selection of stuff in the area.
Old January 22, 2009, 08:35 AM   #11
Nate1778

I agree with above, MidwayUSA is awesome. If they have the item you want in stock, they can get it to Louisville in 2 days. The shipping is unreal...........
Old January 22, 2009, 10:09 AM   #12
vranasaurus

I order stuff from Midway all the time. But for powder, primers, and bullets there are cheaper places.
Old January 22, 2009, 03:29 PM   #13
HOGGHEAD

Gun Shop

Is Little Bif's still in operation?? It has been many years since I have been there.

If that guy ever lets you look at his Winchester colection you will be impressed.

Gamaliel is not very close to Louisville. It is about 2 to 2-1/2 hour drive from Louisville. But they are great people. Geoff told me that Faye retired, and man she was a great person, but Geoff is a good guy also. Tom.
Old January 22, 2009, 10:05 PM   #14
rg1

Yes Little Biff's is still in business. His store is about 1 1/4 miles south of the Gene Synder Freeway south on Dixie Highway. It's on the right going south just past Big-O Tires. He's a pack rat and has so much antiques, junk, and old gun stuff totally filling the store that you have to scrunch to get past another customer in the aisle.
Old January 22, 2009, 10:36 PM   #15
aarhunt

i guess i should a new all you gun guys would a new about midway
Old January 22, 2009, 10:38 PM   #16
aarhunt

i`ve ordered reloading stuff from cabelas too
Old January 23, 2009, 07:58 AM   #17
FatWhiteMan

When I was there for the NRA Convention last year, we took a run up to Bass Pro in Indiana. Their selection on reloading was very good but their prices left a lot to be desired.
Old January 23, 2009, 09:06 AM   #18
vranasaurus

Biffs is certainly a different place.

He has plenty of reloading equipment, not so much on supplies.

His store is an utter disastrophy. It looks like a store out of some horror movie where some stranded motorist goes in looking to use the phone and is never heard from again.
Old January 23, 2009, 08:47 PM   #19
Gnarly

Reloading Supplies

+1 for Whittakers,about 10 miles West of Owensboro.

It'd be a drive for you,but worth it.Not saying he's the cheapest,but he's prob'ly got it in stock.Over 3000 guns,anytime you walk in.

Graf's & Son's for online orders.Or Natchez Shooting supply. Or Lock,Stock & Barrel.Or Able Ammo.Or MidSouth.All good outfits.

That HazMat fee just bites!

----Gnarly