The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old December 18, 2008, 09:53 PM   #1
navman

Steyr aug vs sig 556

I am trying to decide whether to buy the new Steyr Aug when it comes out or a Sig 556 Swat for my black rifle in case things get bad. Any thoughts as to which is better?
Old December 18, 2008, 10:03 PM   #2
onthejon55

airsoft right?
im sure you dnt have the money for the real thing
Old December 19, 2008, 06:56 AM   #3
TheManHimself

Quote:
airsoft right?
im sure you dnt have the money for the real thing
Why was this necessary or considered appropriate?

Anyway, to answer the OP's question, I've heard good things about the AUG but I'd go with the SIG because the civvie AUGs may not make it in before the commies push through another Constitution-defying piece of legislation.
Old December 19, 2008, 11:05 AM   #4
Billy Sparks

This is trully a apples to oranges kind of discussion. A Aug is a bullpup and the 556 is a "regular" rifle. Also you can get one of the MSAR Stg-556's right now, Steyr has been promising a rifle for what 3 years?
Old December 19, 2008, 11:10 AM   #5
M1911

The AUG looks cool, but the trigger sucks.
Old December 19, 2008, 12:19 PM   #6
KChen986

Well, the sig uses the short stroke piston system, so it's pretty reliable. Only draw back is it's pretty heavy.

Anyone know what type of cyclic system the AUG uses? Reliability?

I'd go with an AUG if it's as reliable as the 556. Short, ergonomic, maneuverable without sacrificing barrel length.
Old December 19, 2008, 12:23 PM   #7
tulsamal

Quote:
The AUG looks cool, but the trigger sucks.
I had one back in the 1980's and I didn't really think the trigger was that bad. I spent a lot of time shooting US Army M-16's back then though and most stock M-16's aren't that great in that area either!

If I owned an AUG today, I would pull the trigger pack and send it off for some work. I've heard good things about what some people are able to do with them.

Gregg
Old December 19, 2008, 12:31 PM   #8
tulsamal

Quote:
Anyone know what type of cyclic system the AUG uses? Reliability?
It has a chrome plated piston. Mine never failed with reloads or surplus ammo. The only issue I had was reloads with commercial primers. Some CCI primers would give me doubling issues. Firing pin would go forward with enough force to dimple the primer of the next round. With military ammo, the dimple would be tiny and no issue. (Lots of other rifles do this as well.) With some CCI primer reloads, the second or even third round would go off without any trigger action. I got some dirty looks at ranges that didn't allow full auto fire. I switched my reloads to the harder military primers CCI also sells and had no further issues.

Gregg
Old December 19, 2008, 12:49 PM   #9
M1911

Quote:
I had one back in the 1980's and I didn't really think the trigger was that bad. I spent a lot of time shooting US Army M-16's back then though and most stock M-16's aren't that great in that area either!
There are excellent AR15 triggers available -- the hard part is just choosing which one.

The problem with the Aug is that the sear is connected to the trigger by a very long bar. You just can't get a crisp trigger with that design.
Old December 19, 2008, 02:23 PM   #10
no one

I had both the short barreled black aug, and the long barreled green aug, both with the dot inside the circle reticle. Both rifles were outstandingly reliable, and always returned to zero whenever I took the barrel off to clean it (I never did figure out how they did that). I competed in 3-gun matches with the aug for about 5 years, but sold them and went back to the AR-15 as I just had too hard of a time adjusting to the aug's ergonomics. The aug shot about 1 to 1.25 inches at 100 yards with good ammo, plenty good enough with a 1.5 power optic. With a 4x optic, I suspect I could have gotten better groups, but I had to shoot the rifle with "stock" optics.

I have nothing bad to say about the Aug, it just felt wierd to me, so I went back to a system that felt more natural for me. If I were choosing between the two, I would buy the Sig for that reason.
Old December 19, 2008, 02:40 PM   #11
tulsamal

Quote:
There are excellent AR15 triggers available -- the hard part is just choosing which one.
I understand that but I didn't say one word about the AR-15. I specifically said "US Army M-16's." My M-16A1 in Basic Training in 1985. My M-16A1 when I was assigned to the 25th ID. And my M-16A2 when the Division upgraded a year or two later. I was the assistant armorer for the last couple years I was there. So I've pulled the trigger on at least a couple hundred M-16's. In none of those cases did my commander authorize me to order and install a match trigger!

I like AR's a lot but I was comparing "stock military to stock military."

I haven't shot an AUG with a modified trigger pack but I've certainly read of people who do some amazing things with them. That is really cool that you can slide out the trigger pack and then send it off while leaving the rifle at home. That dramatically cuts your shipping costs. Plus it appeals to me to have the expensive part stay at my house rather than sending the whole receiver (or entire gun).

I have an ex-Army buddy who bought a SIG 556. I liked it. I would have replaced the stock and forend but it reeked of high quality internally. And a VERY nice trigger. (Although quite "different" in feel.)

Gregg
Old December 19, 2008, 03:59 PM   #12
Jermtheory

I like the look of the TPD Aug myself.

That might have something to do with my big pile of AR mags that it will accept though.

Not sure how to actually get my hands on one either,i cant find them anywhere.

The trigger tamer is supposed to really improve the trigger...still wont help with reloads,but they feel/handle so good it would be worth it to me.Wont take away my love for a nice AR but it would be a good supplement.

I would go with an XCR over the Sig 556 myself...if a quality AR was out of the question that is.

But for a bullpup with whats available...yeah an Aug.
Old December 19, 2008, 05:19 PM   #13
IZinterrogator

I'd go with the Sig, the ergonomics of a bullpup aren't that great and the chamber right below your eye tends to leak gas into your eyes and cause you to tear up while firing for extended periods.
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!” - Samuel Adams
Old December 19, 2008, 05:41 PM   #14
MTMilitiaman

I thought the SIG 556 was long stroke?
Old December 19, 2008, 05:47 PM   #15
Jager78

That's a tough one...

If you plan to accessorize go with the 556, if not get the AUG
Old December 19, 2008, 06:20 PM   #16
KChen986

MT militia. You'd know better than me.
Old December 19, 2008, 06:24 PM   #17
TwinTurboG35

if this is your only rifle get the 556 if its just another one i would get the MSAR

if i had some extra monies right now i would grabe one but im more interested in magazines and ammo at the moment
Old December 19, 2008, 06:25 PM   #18
SPUSCG

ive heard the aug clone thats out now is better than a real steyr, is it polytech making augs now?

oh yeah, get a sig
Old December 20, 2008, 12:03 AM   #19
M1911

Quote:
I understand that but I didn't say one word about the AR-15. I specifically said "US Army M-16's
He most likely can't buy an M16. Since he is shopping for a semi-auto Aug or 556, AR15 is a reasonably comparable rifle. An M16 is a different market. $1000 - $1500 gun versus $20,000.
Old December 20, 2008, 02:52 AM   #20
Destructo6

Quote:
Well, the sig uses the short stroke piston system, so it's pretty reliable. Only draw back is it's pretty heavy.
The SIG uses a long stroke gas piston, just like the AK.

I couldn't justify paying that much for a rifle that felt as odd as the AUG.

Keep all of them clean.
Old December 20, 2008, 05:30 AM   #21
maimai

I've heard good things about the AUG but I'd go with the SIG because the civvie AUGs may not make it in before the commies push through another Constitution-defying piece of legislation.I also trying to decide whether to buy it.
Old December 26, 2008, 12:15 PM   #22
jtdominate

Navman-

See which feels best in your hands. I haven't shot an AUG but have shot the MSAR STG. Ergonomically the Aug has a nice feel, although the bullpup design makes it loud. I shot it with a EOTech and find it very accurate with surprisingly little recoil given the small design. On the other hand, the 556 is front heavy but dead on accurate (probably attributable to the increased weight up front). As stated before the 556 can take standard AR mags whereas the STG uses a proprietary design.

Tough choice for ya but I would probably go with the 556 because of the mod factor and mag compatibility.
Old December 26, 2008, 12:42 PM   #23
BeCoole

You can't fire an AUG from your opposite shoulder without replacing the bolt.