The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old December 14, 2008, 11:49 PM   #1
cchardwick

What's the cheapest place to buy a gun?

I have a new gun picked out and want to buy it but can't find it in any stores and they don't have one listed on Gunbroker, it's a Para-Ordinance PX1445EB, solid black, steel frame, 5" barrel, 14+1 rounds of 45 ACP. If I go to my local gun shop and order it I'd imagine I'd be paying close to MSRP. Whats the best way to get the gun at the lowest price?
Old December 14, 2008, 11:57 PM   #2
ccw08

go on gunbroker to find an ffl or just do a google search for an ffl in your area, then you can just pick out the gun you want and have it shipped to your ffl
Old December 15, 2008, 12:43 AM   #3
Jay1958

Bud's Gun has them for $898 shipped if this is it:

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...ducts_id/13630

I haven't been hearing happy things about Para-Ordnance 45ACPs lately. Hope you enjoy yours if you get it, though.
Old December 15, 2008, 12:59 AM   #4
cchardwick

Actually Bud's has it for $693. That's a great price but they are out of stock. I sent them an e-mail asking if they can order it and if it will still be that price.

Bud's Gun Shop, Para 14.45

I don't really want a light rail and double action trigger, but the one you mention is in stock. I'm hoping they can get this one.

Actually I think Buds messed up on their description on that gun above. The description says its stainless but the photo shows a black gun LOL.
Old December 15, 2008, 08:55 AM   #5
CortJestir

There's also Auction Arms and Guns America. You can also always try posting a WTB ad here on TFL... Good luck in your search.
Old December 15, 2008, 09:35 AM   #6
jg0001

I recently made a purchase where the item was supposedly "out of stock, everywhere", in terms of local (little) gun shops and the distributors they reached out to. Many reported it back-ordered at the warehouse level.

What did I do? I called someone that might actually stock it, and that would NOT charge a premium due to it's scarcity. CABELA'S. They are a chain of (outdoor) sporting goods stores, and each store is massive. Now, I don't even have one in my state, but if you call them (I called one in Hamburg, PA -- very friendly) they will go onto their system and check the entire nationwide inventory for their stores. For me, they found 4 stores that had what I was looking for. The first one I called (in Idaho, no less; I live in NJ), had it and the process to FFL-transfer it to my local gun shop was super easy. [Don't bother going online to Cabela's to check inventory, just call them; I don't believe they even show handguns on their online site.]

I recommend Cabela's over any random or internet driven purchase, easily.

For the same gun a local shop wanted $1419 (when they had one left), I got it from Cabela's for $1145 (though, yes, I did pay my local shop a transfer fee).

[FWIW, Bud's is great for price checking, but I noticed that a LOT of guns they list are out of stock lately.]
Old December 15, 2008, 10:55 AM   #7
flight954

No where these days.
Old December 15, 2008, 11:00 AM   #8
Logs

Also check out Davidsons website, if you find a gun you like they have a link to get quotes with the area dealers on what they would sell it to you for.
Old December 15, 2008, 11:01 AM   #9
JWT

Around here Sportsmans Warehouse has the lowest prices on new guns. They are generally $20 to $50, or more, below any other stores. A friend just bought a Browning BT99 there for over $300 less than anywhere else, including Buds and the on line stores. Worth taking a look if there's one in your area.
Old December 15, 2008, 11:55 AM   #10
oneounceload

You can also check out Guns International...(Cabela's lists their entire inventory on it as do several other stores)
Old December 15, 2008, 01:19 PM   #11
cchardwick

I've been to several Sportsman's Warehouses in Denver in the last couple months and instead of handguns on the wall now it's just a wall of empty pegs. Perhaps I can call and order though.

Actually I did look at Davidson's Gun Genie and all local stores list zero in inventory. I even changed up the zip code but no luck.

Last edited by cchardwick; December 15, 2008 at 01:24 PM.
Old December 15, 2008, 02:10 PM   #12
jg0001

Let's back up a step.

Did you try your local gun shop?

If it's like the two near me, they won't likely have a huge selection in stock, but part of the reason is that they can get almost anything in 1 day from a warehouse/distributor.

So, the real question is, is the gun you are looking for very hard to find or is it simply not something that would be on the shelf, readily available? Just because they don't have it on the shelf doesn't mean that they won't give you a good price on it.

Of the five guns I've bought, not a single one was readily available, 3 were easily ordered with 1-day delivery to the gun shop, 1 took a little bit of calling around, and the last required me to find someone that DID have it in inventory (the Cabela's purchase I mentioned in my prior post).
Old December 15, 2008, 02:21 PM   #13
BigJimP

Go to a good local shop - develop a relationship with one of the owners if you can. But this gun, order it, whatever ......it'll work out much better for you in the long run.
Old December 15, 2008, 05:34 PM   #14
scorpion_tyr

If you have an Academy Sports and Outdoors nearby check them out. I've seem them in stock at several stores. I don't remember what price they were, but I bought my Big Hawg (5'', 14+1) for under $700 there. I'm new to Para's but it looked like the exact same thing to me except the Big Hawg's not all black.
Old December 15, 2008, 10:21 PM   #15
imp

+1 to Big Jim

I used to scour every source before every gun purchase, then get the cheapest one available, even if I only save two or three dollars...if you buy one online, you have to pay to have it shipped and transfered, and that takes away most of any savings you are going to get by doing it that way.

Over the years however, I developed a good relationship with the FFL that had previously did all my transfers, and now I get my guns from him at just a few bucks over his cost.

At the end of the day, I would rather do business that way. The profits go to the small businessman instead of the retail giant, but I still get a good deal. Plus, he keeps an eye out for things that might interest me, lets me know when he gets shipments of ammo, and even passes out my business cards to some of his other customers.

Plus, its always nice to have a brick and mortar establishment to go to if something should go wrong, or I need a place to sit and drink coffee and talk guns for a while when the bug bites.
Old December 15, 2008, 10:53 PM   #16
B.N.Real

Your local gun store,gun show or neighbor used.
Old December 15, 2008, 11:29 PM   #17
mxa

sportingamrs ...

I've had good success with www.sportingarms.com.
Old December 15, 2008, 11:33 PM   #18
trayzor

Lipsey's or TopGunSupply. Cabela's uses Lipsey's as a source.
Old December 16, 2008, 11:37 AM   #19
HD2006

I like Scheels, Sportsmans Warehouse, and Cabelas.
Old December 17, 2008, 01:24 PM   #20
cchardwick

Well I tried the local gun shop and they called the manuf. and they are out of stock in the distribution center and he said who knows when they will get it in and to check back. But just walking into a gun shop and buying one is a gamble. I have been comparing all prices with Buds Gun Shop online who seems to have the cheapest prices (but is out of stock on just about everything). I found the gun I want to buy on Gunbroker, only problem is that it's $200 more than Buds and the last gun I bought which is just the alloy version of the gun was $75 LESS than Buds. That's a $300 difference and for a gun under $900 that is a HUGE difference. I am SO tempted to pay the extra $300 just because time is running short before our government changes hands, but I'll probably wait until I can find a better deal.
Old December 17, 2008, 02:10 PM   #21
Bang Gunley

If Pensacola is convenient to anyone, Jay's Guns & Accessories II (and their others stores in Crestview, Baker and Panama City) claim they'll beat any competitor's price.

So far, they have lived up to that claim with me; I've bought quite a few pistols from them -- and traded back a couple -- and have been totally satisfied with the deals I've received.

Have a day. Bang Gunley
Old December 17, 2008, 07:08 PM   #22
cchardwick

May be hard to beat some deals on new guns on Gunbroker, I've seen some sell for about a hundred less than Buds.
Old December 17, 2008, 07:20 PM   #23
Smaug

Don't buy into that stuff with the gov't changing hands. The gun business just loves it, and we are a paranoid lot already. It is all too easy for them to feed on it.

Keep your eye on gunbroker. Have your funds and FFL arranged beforehand, so you can pounce when one shows up.

Buds has good prices, but their photos are pretty lacking in a lot of cases. They show one gun, then describe another, and I don't feel conficent sending them a check for hundreds of dollars sight-unseen. Who knows which one I'll get? You should definitely call if you're going to order from them.

That's where gunbroker comes in; when the gun you're after is harder to find. It really is the ebay of the gun world.

The guns I look at are usually less at Bud's than Gunbroker. But again, there is the question of stock and which gun would I actually get?

More and more, I appreciate my local stores. I picked up a used Redhawk ($650) with a $300 scope for $500. When there was a problem, they shipped it to Ruger for free, and Ruger repaired it for free. If it had been an internet gun, especially gunbroker, it would have at least cost me shipping. It is good to support your local stores, unless they're totally ridiculous. I have a local shop whose prices on used guns are good, but new guns --> ridiculous. So I go to another local shop for new guns. The real kick in the nuts is having to pay tax.
Old December 17, 2008, 08:21 PM   #24
HisSoldier

"Don't buy into that stuff with the gov't changing hands. The gun business just loves it, and we are a paranoid lot already. It is all too easy for them to feed on it."

Well, Wayne Lapierre of the NRA doesn't share the optimism. Neither do I.

In my short 59 year life I've seen accelerated change, some good, but a lot very bad. What has grabbed me by the throat lately is how fast our country is changing! Personal responsibility is a phrase that many people never think of anymore, much less say out loud. Christianity is fast becoming an offense that needs stamping out, even in this forum I see sig lines ridiculing faith. Clearly related to this change is an upset in morals and personal responsibility.
Open the January 2009 American Rifleman, just inside at page 10. Please read the facts Mr. LaPierre reports. Make no mistake folks, the boom is about to be lowered. If you don't own a gun now is not a bad time at all to buy, if you can't afford a new gun buy a used one. I don't work for any firearms manufacturers, I don't have a dog in any gun sales argument, but I just finished reading page 10.
No offense meant to you Smaug, I'm sorry to say we just disagree.
I have CNC produced 416 stainless triggers to replace the plastic triggers on Colt Mustangs, Mustang Plus II's, MK IV Government .380's and Sig P-238's. Video on installation in Sig;http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jh2v_-87DRM
Old December 17, 2008, 08:34 PM   #25
ScaryWoody

Best place to buy a gun is at a gun show in the parking lot or from someone walking around with one to sell.