The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old December 13, 2008, 08:43 PM   #1
harleyman959798

sig finish problems??

went to a local gun show today with intentions on buying a new sig p220, well they only had one and it didnt have nights sites, but i had several people there tell me that the finish on sigs are horrible and will rust in no time, especially if u carry alot

kinda bums me out as i really want a sig but dont wanna spend $800 plus on a rust magnet

anyone chime in
Old December 13, 2008, 08:47 PM   #2
usnavdoc

Ive had a sig220 for twelve years. Just putting my second set of trijicon sights on it. Never had any issues with the finish.
Old December 13, 2008, 08:53 PM   #3
wtfd661

My department switched to Sig P220's 3 yrs ago and we haven't had any problems with the finish, carry them all the time in all seasons and all weather. No rust here.
Old December 13, 2008, 08:55 PM   #4
harleyman959798

from what i hear the older ones are fine, but the newer ones have very light finishes and nothing to protect the finish so there for it rust really easy,

i heard this from quite a few people there and they were selling sigs, so i dont think they were try brush off a sale
Old December 13, 2008, 09:21 PM   #5
AK103K

Quote:
i heard this from quite a few people there and they were selling sigs, so i dont think they were try brush off a sale
Whoever told you that didnt know what they were talking about.

The newer SIG's have stainless slides and a decent finish on top of that. The older models have steel slides and some have reported rust with them. I have a couple of both, old and new, and have never had a rust problem with either.
Old December 13, 2008, 10:05 PM   #6
schmeky

Have rust problems with mine, a carbon steel folded slide version made in New Hampshire.
Old December 13, 2008, 10:56 PM   #7
harleyman959798

well i had 3 different people there tell me that sigs have finish problems. i really want a sig, just hate to see the damn thing rust. all 3 of them told me the older sigs were ok, but newer models were terrible, especially if u carried them, im assuming from the sweat causing rust
Old December 13, 2008, 11:00 PM   #8
Creature

Quote:
well i had 3 different people there tell me that sigs have finish problems. i really want a sig, just hate to see the damn thing rust. all 3 of them told me the older sigs were ok, but newer models were terrible, especially if u carried them, im assuming from the sweat causing rust
Sigs suck bad. Please dont buy any sigs...

Old December 13, 2008, 11:08 PM   #9
AK103K

I dont know what to tell you, other than you talked to three people who dont know their ass from a whole in their head.

I carry a P229 every day, year round. I've also carried P220's, both old and new, as well as a couple of other P series pistols, and I have yet to have a SIG rust, regardless of steel or finish.

If one were to rust, it would be one of the older guns, the newer guns have stainless steel slides and a better finish over it. (seems I heard this before somewhere )

If you really want a SIG, by all means, buy one, you wont be disappointed. If you want a lot of SIG specific information, try over at the SIG forum.
Old December 13, 2008, 11:59 PM   #10
fastforty

I carried my P239 IWB for 8 years. Through long sweaty summer months working in the field & seldom took it out of the leather holster at night to dry out. More then 50% of the finish is worn off of the slide from extensive training and practice (over 100,000 draws from a Kydex holster). No rust, zip, NADA.
Old December 14, 2008, 12:40 AM   #11
Dabull

"well i had 3 different people there tell me that sigs have finish problems."

Well, that about sums it up for this issue. The 3 have spoken. Anybody want to buy my rusty Sigs? They aren't rusty yet...but you just wait...
Old December 14, 2008, 04:03 AM   #12
oldandslow

harleyman, 12/14/08

I have four Sigs, two newer ones and two older ones with the blued slides. The older ones developed a light surface coat of rust quite easily but I attribute this to the salt air in the tropical climate where I live and my caustic sweat which tends to cause rusting in anything metal. Hard chroming the slides solved the problem. The newer ones, one a 220-ST (stainless) and the other a 239-9mm in Nitron have had no slide rust problems. One problem I did have with all four pistols is with the controls which face my skin developing rust (mag release, decocker, slide release). The problem was bad enough with the mag release that I couldn't press it in to drop a mag. The problems were solved with hard-chroming the controls or replacing them with nickel-plated ones.

I would not put too much stock in third hand mis-information about Sigs. They are one of the few manufacturers who make a reliable, accurate and long-lasting pistol right out of the box. I have a variety of other pistols to compare them to (SW 3rd generation, Springfields, CZ's, Berettas, Glocks, HK's) and I feel Sigs are a great pistol.

Merry Christmas- oldandslow
Old December 14, 2008, 06:41 AM   #13
jlh26oo

Quote:
well i had 3 different people there tell me that sigs have finish problems. i really want a sig, just hate to see the damn thing rust.
While Nitron isn't the best finish out there, it's also not a problem I.M.O. Thinks like sights, grip screws and other little parts will corrode before your slide from the finish wearing off, even with abuse/neglect (I.E. profuse sweating and not wiping down etc). But if you are particularly worried about it, I'd still not let it hold me back from getting a Sig. You could always splurge on a "combat" P220, which passes the "240 hour salt spray test", but I think any Sig will be O.K. in that respect.
Old December 14, 2008, 09:03 AM   #14
revance

Only part of a sig I've seen rusty is the controls and grip screws... probably because they are only blued and people often neglect to oil those parts.
Old December 14, 2008, 09:09 AM   #15
David the Gnome

Like AK103K said, all new Sigs have a stainless slide, some just have a black finish on top of it. Rust should not be an issue with a new Sig.
Old December 14, 2008, 09:57 AM   #16
Homerboy

The 226's the NYPD used (at least back in the mid 90's) were all sent back to the armorers for a finish treatment. I have seen SIG's look purple in used gun shops. As much as I dislike Glock's, their Tennifer finish is top-notch. My Glock 19, that had been carried for ten years, abused daily, and unholstered thousands of times, still looked new the day I sold it.