The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old December 8, 2008, 11:27 AM   #1
PAcountryboy

remington 798?

hello, im new to the site but i like it alot so far. as you can see, this is my first post. ive been doing a lot of thinking and comparing lately concerning a new rifle. i already own a marlin 336 in .35, a savage 340a 30-30, a marlin 995 .22, and a mossberg 500 12ga. i love my brush guns for deer hunting, but ive really got a thing for long range/accuracy shooting lately. ive been looking at alot of brands and models and i think ive settled on one but its a relatively new model (under this name) and i wanted some first hand opinions on it. im talking about the remington 798 mouser with the laminate walnut stock. everyone i talk to says its every bit as good of a gun as the 700 and some people say its even better. im looking at getting the 798 in either a 7mm mag or .300 win mag, havent decided yet but im leaning towards the 7mm. i would prefer to have opinions from you that own or have owned a 798, but if you have expirience or really know about the gun, im all ears. if your just going to tell me its junk because its a mauser and its made over seas, i dont need to hear it. i already know about the mouser action, i just want to know about the over all gun with the rem name on it. is it accurate? reliable? seem well made? btw, i can get the 798 in 7mm mag with a decent 3-9x40 bushnell scope for $475 brand spankin new. so whatcha think?
Old December 8, 2008, 11:42 AM   #2
Savage99

The last I saw one of the Rem. mauser type rifles made in Europe I found it interesting. I glanced at the Rem site and the 798 in 7mm RM shows a 22" tube yet the plastic stock version shows a 24" tube.

mm Remington Mag 3 22" Walnut 42 1/4" 7 3/4 89844 $690

In either case the listed weight, if correct, at 7 3/4 lbs is rather heavy.

You would get pretty much what you see I hope and that price sounds good.

Best of luck

http://www.remington.com/products/fi.../model_798.asp
Old December 8, 2008, 12:18 PM   #3
PAcountryboy

the barrel on the one im eyeballing is 24" as well, not 22. as for the weight, i did handle the gun in person and its really not that heavy. but at the same time, with a 7mm mag or .300 win mag, i wouldnt want a little 5 or 6 lb gun because of recoil issues. thanks for the input. anyone else?
Old December 8, 2008, 01:15 PM   #4
fisherman66

Any 98 Mauser clone is going to be a solid performer from a mechanical standpoint. At 7 and three quarters it not really a heavy weight and should tame the magnum a bit. I wonder if the 798 heralds from Spartan lineage.
Old December 8, 2008, 01:18 PM   #5
PAcountryboy

from what i understand, they do. keep the comments comming guys. so far, im thinking of geting one of these real soon. btw, what is going to be a flatter shooting, more accurate gun between the 7mm mag and .300 win mag?
Old December 8, 2008, 01:25 PM   #6
fisherman66

I sure can't speak for accuracy, but the 7 will shoot flatter (which means little in the thick woods). It's higher BC will carry more energy out yonder (which also means little in the thick woods). It's SD will allow it to plow deeper (which means little once you start talking about Magnums and medium thin skin game).
Old December 8, 2008, 02:46 PM   #7
Slamfire

Quote:
everyone i talk to says its every bit as good of a gun as the 700 and some people say its even better.
After reading your post, I think you are looking for reassurance about a purchase that you have already decided to make.

Quote:
i can get the 798 in 7mm mag with a decent 3-9x40 bushnell scope for $475 brand spankin new. so whatcha think?
Regardless of the “Quality” of the rifle, a 7mm Rem Mag is an excellent cartridge, and the price is very good.
Old December 8, 2008, 02:55 PM   #8
Scorch

Quote:
I wonder if the 798 heralds from Spartan lineage.
The 798 is made by Zastava in Serbia, Spartan firearms are made in Russia.
Quote:
Any 98 Mauser clone is going to be a solid performer from a mechanical standpoint
I agree. The 798s are a little rough, but you'll have a hard time finding a better rifle than a M98.
Taylor Machine
Old December 8, 2008, 03:06 PM   #9
PAcountryboy

slamfire, as of now i am leaning towards the 798 but i havent decided yet. it just seems like the best bang for the buck right now. im not looking to spend a fortune, but just enough to get a decent rifle that i can count on and is accurate at 2-300 yards
Old December 8, 2008, 03:08 PM   #10
PAcountryboy

scorch, define "rough" please
Old December 8, 2008, 03:35 PM   #11
Scorch

The finish on the mating parts (bolt lugs, cocking piece, bolt ways) needs to be smoothed out a little, either through use or by a smith. Exterior finish on the rifles is OK.
Taylor Machine
Old December 8, 2008, 07:54 PM   #12
Jimro

The fit and finish on the Rem798's isn't as good as it was on the old MarkX's.

By the time you shoot out the first barrel the action should be butter smooth from use.

Jimro

http://randomthoughtsandguns.blogspot.com/
Old December 8, 2008, 10:26 PM   #13
PAcountryboy

so anyone actually own or use a 798 that can give an opinion?