The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 7, 2008, 04:14 PM   #1
ubang2

Benelli Crio Choke?

I have a SBEII and I want an extra choke and found the Benelli Crio chokes and was wondering if thats what I need for my gun. The way I see it I can shoot the Crios in my SBEII but I don`t have too so what is the purpose? Thanks
Old December 7, 2008, 09:50 PM   #2
RUT

I believe the SBEll takes the Crio+ chokes.

http://mpcsports.com/index.asp?PageA...&Category=1041
Old December 7, 2008, 10:47 PM   #3
ubang2

Will only the Crios work in my gun? That is the question.
Old December 8, 2008, 09:39 AM   #4
RUT

Yes, that's what it was designed to take. (and threaded accordingly)
Old December 8, 2008, 12:48 PM   #5
BigJimP

The Benelli Crio Plus and the Beretta Optima Plus chokes are the same choke.

Some of the earlier guns had the "Crio Sport" chokes in them ( threads toward the top of the choke ) - so make sure you look at your current chokes, in terms of where the threads are on the body of the choke to make sure you are ordering the correct one. I ran into this problem on the Benelli Super Sport as well - guns made in 2006? had the Crio Sport / the newer ones had crio plus. Benelli literature sometimes refers to them all as Crio chokes - so you have to be careful.
Old December 8, 2008, 10:12 PM   #6
BradF

I just checked my SBEII and my factory chokes say CrioChoke and two Briley ported chokes I got for the skeet range say Crio Plus. As far as I know there is no difference in the two. My gun doesn't think so anyway. Both have the threads at the top. There is however a huge difference in the chokes used before the Crio or Crio Plus. I use to have a Nova and the chokes it used were much shorter. I would not recommend the ported chokes. Not enough recoil reduction to justify the price difference.
Old December 9, 2008, 12:43 PM   #7
BigJimP

If the threads are near the top - its probably the Crio Sport choke - but look at the Briley website - it has photos of both and dimensions on it.
Old December 9, 2008, 06:59 PM   #8
BradF

BigJimP, you are exactly right. The threads on my chokes are not all the way at the top, they are near the top, the Crio and CrioPlus. I knew they were Crio's and CrioPlus cause that's what they've got etched on them. You'd think I could remember what they looked like on the return trip from the safe to the puter, but alas my memory ain't what it use to be.
Old December 10, 2008, 12:23 PM   #9
BigJimP

Trust me, it will only get worse unfortunately.

I went to the gun club the other day and forgot my shells ... ( 35 miles away from home ...). I grabbed my gun case (told myself I'd be back for the shells as I walked by them) - even layed a tub of reloads out on my bench to take / went back to my shop, made sure the safe was locked, walked right past the tub of shells, went upstairs, made coffee and left .....
Old December 10, 2008, 07:13 PM   #10
BradF

I too have left home without shells. I went bowhunting one time without arrows..... One thing I always remember. Don't shoot another 10ga.