The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 4, 2008, 06:01 PM   #1
Danzig

New to shotguns...

I have a Maverick 88. I've had it for maybe five or six years. I've even shot it a few times.

But I don't KNOW shotguns. So I have a few questions that I'd like to ask you knowledgeable individuals and if you have something to add that I haven't asked, please feel free to do so.

I'm not a hunter. I'm not averse to hunting..it is just not a need for me right now. So this 88 isn't a hunting gun. It's a home defense gun.

What are some improvements I can make to my 88 to make it better suited for that role?

And about shotguns in general...what ammo would most of you recommend for home home defense?

Thank you in advance.
Old December 4, 2008, 06:11 PM   #2
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

18 inch barrel...
Brent
Old December 4, 2008, 06:19 PM   #3
rantingredneck

Quote:
What are some improvements I can make to my 88 to make it better suited for that role?
Number 1 thing would be ammo and range time. Practice, practice, practice.

If you are talking physical additions/improvements to the gun there aren't many that will actually add value. You may consider a sidesaddle or buttcuff of some sort for extra shells. Any actual HD use of the gun will most likely be limited to what is on or in the gun. I like slings for all my long guns. There are arguments pro and con about lights.

Biggest thing is to not add so much to the gun that it becomes non-functional. Avoid PGO stocks like the plague. Vertical foregrips are also nigh useless.

Quote:
And about shotguns in general...what ammo would most of you recommend for home home defense?
Most any buckshot of #4 or larger will work. Many folks will advocate birdshot. Aside from apartment living I wouldn't recommend it. Buy several brands of buckshot in different sizes and pattern test it at the range. Think about the longest shot you would have to take within your home and use that as a guide. Think about if you had to shoot outside your home (unlikely but possible).

I've had best results with Remington Express or Managed Recoil 2 3/4" 00 and Federal LE 127 00. The Federal is by far the best I've used. The Remington stuff is more than acceptible though....

Length of my hallway the BG would never know the difference.

PCCA Member (What's PCCA you ask? <- Check the link)
Old December 4, 2008, 06:23 PM   #4
Danzig

Thanks hogdogs and rantingredneck.

I like the idea of a shorter barrel. The 88 is rather big and unwieldy, especially in an enclosed space.

Good advice about the importance of practice rantingredneck.

I shoot my handguns and rifles a lot but not so much the shotty.
Old December 4, 2008, 06:26 PM   #5
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Double R hits a good point... I use the CHEAP Winchester 00 buck. Not that I have a value on our security... Just that these rounds go bang and lead is lead at HD range...
Brent