The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 2, 2008, 11:14 PM   #1
Gunlocator

Quick suggestion on redot / cmore type optics for shotguns

For a tactical configured shot gun I am putting together for my self I already have a picatinny rail on a Converted 8 shot Moss 500 Cruiser. Looking for a good heads up reddot style optics for fast target acquisition. This is for a 12ga and want to ensure it can handle the recoil. What is everyone using thats not an arm and a leg.
Old December 2, 2008, 11:20 PM   #2
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

IMHO, YMMV... Set up the weapon the way you feel most comfortable.
I handle my shotgun practice to include carry gun defended and mount, point and shoot as well as mounted gun while covering ground (don't know the tactical name for that). In both ways I couldn't tell you if the bead is still on the barrel. I do not want any devise interfering with my vision. I am a minute of "COM" shooter for HD/SD and my shot hits where I am looking, not aiming... I hope that isn't too confusing. Others have a better way of explaining this.
Brent
Old December 3, 2008, 08:00 AM   #3
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Put a couple cases of shells through that 500 as is. Then decide if you want/need to complicate things.

There's some deadly defensive shotguns out there. Many have simple beads and not high tech anything.

Every deadly defensive shotgun is manned by a deadly defensive operator. Become such and it will do much more for your life expectancy than addons and gadgetry.

I know quite a few folks who make livings in harm's way. Few have fancy sighting systems or only pistol grips on their well worn and effective shotguns.
Old December 3, 2008, 08:07 AM   #4
alloy

i asked a question about red dots on a shotgun forum recently.
frankly the answers regarding low and no light situations were less than convincing, and i think i will just keep it old school with a bead sight, because for 30 or so years...i'm used to it.

but this was posted here this morning and it seems relevant.

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...ght=flashlight
Old December 3, 2008, 09:34 AM   #5
T.A.Sharps

These are all the best of that I know of, all are serving on the rifles of our troops. I know I would love to be able to put one of these on my deer gun.
EoTech
Leupold Mark 4 CQT

ACOG