The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old December 2, 2008, 08:47 PM   #1
gdeal

44 Magnum SnubNose

What does anyone think of a .44 Magnum Snubnose? Who makes the best one? Is this a good defensive firearm? Is it no better than a .357 Magnum?

Last edited by gdeal; December 2, 2008 at 08:54 PM.
Old December 2, 2008, 08:52 PM   #2
long rider

Yeah recoil and muzzle blast
Old December 2, 2008, 08:57 PM   #3
sandbag

I had one

it was an S&W 629 with a 2.5" barrel.It was a custom shop job I think.It came with a finger grooved grip-might have been Hogue-I don't know.Anyhow,it was brutal to shoot-I regularly fire .44 mags from a 29-2 (recent acquisition 6.5" barrel) and a Ruger Vaquero-I find both pleasant to shoot.I got rid of the chopped hand cannon:barf:.
Old December 2, 2008, 09:53 PM   #4
KBG

???????

If you want a snub go with the Charter Bulldog .44 Special and save some $green$ for ammo.
Old December 2, 2008, 10:21 PM   #5
mavracer

Dont know if this counts it's a 3"

Speer makes a wonderful SBGD 44mag load for SD and I shoot a lot of 240-250 LSWC and rainiers @1000fps for fun.
My handguns are are for one purpose only, though...
The starter gun on the "Fat man's mad dash tactical retreat."
Old December 2, 2008, 11:03 PM   #6
Smaug

44 *Special* is a better plan

...unless it is a bear you're trying to fight off.

I shoot 44 Magnum out of a 7-1/2" Ruger Redhawk with a scope. This is a heavy gun. The recoil is pretty stout even with this setup.

I don't even want to think about what it would feel like out of a snubby revolver.

Talking about it online is one thing. Touching one off is quite another. It is going to hurt you some.
Old December 2, 2008, 11:24 PM   #7
Sam06

Get One if that is what you want! Thats the great thing about the USA. Me I have never been a big fan of Snubnose Magnum anything.. I think of all that wasted powder burning in the air with no bullet behind it. I would think about a Snub 44 SPL. There are some M24's out there with 2 and 3 inch tubes that would be killer. Get what you want and have fun with it.
Old December 2, 2008, 11:49 PM   #8
HoraceHogsnort

"Yeah recoil and muzzle blast"

Its just a matter of how you load it.
Old December 3, 2008, 12:16 AM   #9
Wolfeye

I'd say it can be an excellent defensive handgun. I'm considering a Ruger Alaskan in .44, and plan on using it for the bedstand and in the woods. Muzzle blast from a .44 magnum snubbie can be quite large from what I've heard, but it's not nearly as bad when loaded with .44 special. That's still on par with a .45 auto. Specials for general shooting and for defense, magnums for the woods.

The only .44 magnum snubbies I know about are the Ruger Alaskan, Smith's new 329 Nightguard/Backpacker, and Smith's 629 Emergency Survival Kit. I'd pick the Ruger out of those for its greater weight.

Edit: I heard one guy describe the magnum recoil as feeling like you've hit a pole with a baseball bat. Buyer beware.
Old December 3, 2008, 11:09 AM   #10
Keltyke

"I don't even want to think about what it would feel like out of a snubby revolver."

A big +1 on THAT! It's gonna hurt.

"Its just a matter of how you load it."

If you have to download it to shoot it, you take away the advantage of the "hand cannon" round. Just get a smaller caliber to begin with. It's like buying a .357 mag, and shooting .38 spcls, in it. Why get the .357 to begin with?

This is not a good PD gun for concealed carry (or even for open). Even the snubbies are big-framed and heavy. The recoil will make multiple shots difficult. The blast and muzzle flash at night might temporarily blind you.

Personally, I wouldn't shoot a .44 mag. in anything less than a 4" and a 6" would be preferable.
Old December 3, 2008, 11:35 AM   #11
Magnum Wheel Man

Quote:
I don't even want to think about what it would feel like out of a snubby revolver.

A big +1 on THAT! It's gonna hurt.
not necessarily so... this one is actually quite pleasant to shoot...

coupling the weight of the full sized Dan Wesson revolver with the very effective comp chamber barrel nut, makes this one of the easiest to shoot 44 mags I've ever shot, the ( beveled away from the shooter ) comp chamber angles, keeps the muzzle blast to a minimum as well... if this had been a stainless gun, I would have had no reason to buy my Ruger Alaskan ( in 454 Casull ) which I also really like
Old December 3, 2008, 01:15 PM   #12
mavracer

Quote:
If you have to download it to shoot it, you take away the advantage of the "hand cannon" round. Just get a smaller caliber to begin with. It's like buying a .357 mag, and shooting .38 spcls, in it. Why get the .357 to begin with?
It's called versitillity.
The Speer SBGD 44 magnum load has a 200gr bullet at just under 1100 fps,
or just about as fast as you can from a 357,with little muzzle flash and is very easy to controll from a 3" N-frame.was also easy to controll from a K-frame size Taurus tracker.
Quote:
Even the snubbies are big-framed and heavy. The recoil will make multiple shots difficult.
contradicting statement big heavy guns recoil less.heavier gun will allow you to shoot a heavier load just as fast.
Quote:
The blast and muzzle flash at night might temporarily blind you.
Having actually shot a 125 jhp federal classic 357magnum from a 2 1/4" Sp101 at night. I can tell you this is not gonna happen.And both the Speer load and my Keith style reloads are tame in the muzzle blast dept. by contrast.
My handguns are are for one purpose only, though...
The starter gun on the "Fat man's mad dash tactical retreat."
Old December 4, 2008, 11:00 AM   #13
biggfoot44

I have one. I recomend against them. Actual vels in a 2.75 in bbl are way down from even a 4 in , while muzzle blast and muzzle flip way up. had to have it Magnaported to make it vaguely controlable. Took near max loads to get close to 1100 fps with 240 gr. Then I did a side by side comparison with 4 in M65, and it was smaller in all respects.
If you feel the requirement for a .44 mag, then make the comitment to carry a 4 in bbl. If you "need" a smaller gun, go to a 4 in .357.
You can only bend the laws of physics but so far, and a .44 mag snubbie isn't it.
Old December 4, 2008, 12:30 PM   #14
Gadget

I CC the Alaskan and like it. It's a brute as far as weight for extended times, but that helps with recoil. The blast in reduced light is a bit much, but I feel that its helpful under the right circumstances. As far a recoil, its stout. I recently had a drill where I emptied the cylinder four times as fast as possible, my wrist and forearm complained for a couple of hours. That was the first time I can recall that I was affected by recoil in almost 35 years of shooting big bore pistol. Make your choice, try it out and adjust as needed.
Old December 4, 2008, 10:40 PM   #15
batmann

Once again I find myself defending the .44M and Alaskan--LOL
IF you use a round designed from the ground up for SD, like Cor-Bon, for example, it is easier, IMHO, to use than a .357. The C-B 165 grn in either .44 Spl or the Mag version are no harder and no more muzzel flash than a hot .357.
I really like the Alaskan and stroke it with C-B's, I have a Simply Rugged holster and with winter here, have been carrying it under my coat.
Old December 5, 2008, 04:51 PM   #16
golfsixactual

Snub 44 mag

Sounds good to me.

I think 44 specials would work in 44 Remington Magnum caliber gun, that is if 44spls were not an obsolete caliber these days.

What kind of damage could a hard cast 240 grain semi wadcutter flat piont bullet traveling ~900fps possibly do?
Old December 5, 2008, 05:24 PM   #17
Stainz

Here's what you need... a S&W 296 Ti AirLite 5-shot hammerles 2.5" .44 Special. It sports the Hogue .500 Magnum X-frame grips - you'll appreciate that when you squeeze the trigger with some Speer #4429 200gr Gold Dots loaded, whether you use Speer or the ballistically equivalent Georgia Arms load. Real thumper - nicely controlled with that backstrap-enclosing 'one size fits all' grip, available only from S&W Accessories.

Yeah, it's not pocketable with those grips... not very practical. I keep the OEM boots on mine - and the 296 in a Robert Mika pocket holster fits ~75% of my britches front pocket. I have a smaller Mika holster for my 642 for the 'tighter' fit. It's comforting to have that 296 in my pocket... I don't know why. Here it is with a Buck 560XLT - a Ti handled & 110-bladed knife. The 296 was $789 MSRP over six years ago, just before it was canned. I bought mine new on closeout for less than half of that... a 642 was more then!

A lite weight .44 Special is pretty nasty... a similar .44 Magnum would be insane!

Stainz
Old December 5, 2008, 05:43 PM   #18
M14fan

Have two, workin on three. One S&W, one DW, Planning a Ruger. Love em! They are a blast (pardon the pun) to shoot.
Old December 5, 2008, 05:45 PM   #19
Magnum Wheel Man

as long as we are posting pics of 44 specials...

this is the carry gun I use 95% of the time & have the most confidence in... however if I thought the "bad guy" might be of the 4 legged variety, the 44 Magnum Dan Wesson I posted earlier goes onto the belt instead

Old December 5, 2008, 06:42 PM   #20
Johnc

Quote:
What does anyone think of a .44 Magnum Snub nose? Who makes the best one? Is this a good defensive firearm? Is it no better than a .357 Magnum?

According to various sources, the .357 Mag is as effective if not more than a .44 Mag. Unless of course you are defending yourself against big game. The internetarmory.com had this to say:

Quote:
.357 Magnum Caliber:
One Shot Stopping Success: 68-96% (Actual)
Self Defense Rating: Best
Recommended Cartridges:

Remington JHP 125 grains 96%
Federal JHP 125 grains 96%
CCI JHP 125 grains 93%
Federal JHP 110 grains 90%
Remington SJHP 110 grains 89%
Winchester JHP 125 grains 87%

The .357 Magnum, in Remington or Federal JHP, 125 grains, is unquestionably the most effective handgun cartridge in existence. Its proven ability to produce one shot stops exceeds that of any other round, including more powerful cartridges such as the .41 Magnum and .44 Magnum.
Old December 7, 2008, 01:25 AM   #21
Mat, not doormat

The "one shot stop" levels for .44 Mag aren't low because it's a lousy stopper. Lol. They're low because the stats don't take misses into account. Lots of people who "practice with specials, but carry magnums" also hit with specials, but miss with magnums.

I'd sooner stay with 4"-5.5" bbls. less than that, and things get unpleasant in a very big hurry.

My suggestion would be to set up something on the order of an El Presidente If you can get 12 Alphas in 10 seconds, then that's good for carry. If not, then consider something more manageable.

~~~Mat
Old December 7, 2008, 01:52 AM   #22
Smaug

44 Specials are not bad. Winchester makes a cowboy action load that is QUITE light to shoot out of my Redhawk. Would probably feel just a bit more than a 38 Special out of a smaller-but-still-steel snub.

Don't be afraid of 44 in a small revolver. Just 44 Magnum

Another good option is 45 ACP. More power and bigger bore than 44 Special. (in factory loads at least. ) Easy to find ammo for it. If you ever get into reloading for it, you can buy 45 Auto Rim brass and not even need to jerk around with moon clips at the range.
Old December 7, 2008, 01:19 PM   #23
Ozzieman

I don’t know, maybe I am masokkiss,,,,, how every you spell it, I love my 3 inch 629. It’s the one with out the fluted chamber on a round but frame.
Its shoots 44 specials like a 38 special and the 44 mags although they are a lot of flash I feel the recoil is less than a longer barrel 44 mag due to the fact the a lot of the powder is burnt out side the barrel instead of inside the barrel. That means less velocity and less energy and that means less recoil.
Get one you will like it.

Last edited by Ozzieman; December 8, 2008 at 04:43 PM.
Old December 8, 2008, 08:48 PM   #24
Nanuk

Its all subjective. I love snubbies, 357, and 44 mag. I am 6'0" and 260 with very large hands.
Old December 9, 2008, 12:18 AM   #25
HoraceHogsnort

If its an SD gun try the Cor Bon 165 gr. JHP. It launches at 1300 fps from my 4" 629 and the recoil is manageable even for this 65 yr. old man.