The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 29, 2008, 12:53 PM   #1
Katrina Guy

finally got Persuader, now a question

I had trouble putting more then two shells in the magazine. When I finally was able to push more then two shells in it, a wooden dowel with two rubber "O" rings came out, is this dowel with "O" rings needed for anything?? Or some kind of shipping / safety kind of thing?
Old November 29, 2008, 12:55 PM   #2
Creature

Did you read the manual?
Old November 29, 2008, 12:56 PM   #3
Katrina Guy

yea, had to put on better reading glasses, my bad

It says to take it out, no idea what it's doing there to begin with.
Old November 29, 2008, 12:59 PM   #4
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Yep that there is the "duck plug"... If'n you lose it I am told a new yeller pencil works as well...
Brent
Old November 29, 2008, 01:03 PM   #5
Katrina Guy

just glad I finally got it!

Have been waiting a month for Academy Sporting goods to get restocked.
$279. for those interested in how things are going up.
Old November 29, 2008, 01:07 PM   #6
Creature

Pics?
Old November 29, 2008, 01:09 PM   #7
Katrina Guy

keeping it plain jane

Not adding anything on it...so looks just like the one on the Mossberg website *LOL* Oiled it and put in five buckshot shells, unchambered, and it's on my bedroom dresser, replacing the Remington HD model that was on the dresser.
My Remington didn't come with any wood dowel, why the Mossberg I guess threw me for a loop.
Old November 29, 2008, 01:22 PM   #8
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Mossberg has been including a wooden dowel with 2 o-rings for more than 20 years. I thought all the makers inluded one.... was your remmy in the box? Being an HD maybe the dealer or Reminton just didn't plan for it to in a field during migratory bird season... It don't matter what you are after... it is real hard to talk yer way out of a game fine during M.B. seasons if you are caught with an unplugged gun. I was out shooting jugs in my wooded backyard in 1989 and a G-DUBYA pulled in and wanted to see my plug... I told him "DUDE..." (I was 21 then...) I ain't seen that thing since I chucked it in the trash. Mind you I am holding a HD 18 inch 20 gauge with PGO grip... Like I was shooting doves by busting off 100 rounds an hour between beers I by myself and my dogs...
Brent
Old November 29, 2008, 01:22 PM   #9
zippy13

The O-rings are just to keep your duck plug from rattling around loose in your mag. With them in place, you have a legally silenced shotgun (sort of).
Didn't the Remmy come with a green plastic duck plug?
Old November 29, 2008, 01:26 PM   #10
Katrina Guy

the Remington didn't have a plug,

But it was the display model at the gun store, perhaps they took it out?
Old November 29, 2008, 01:57 PM   #11
Katrina Guy

there is something I'd like to replace on the Mossberg

Without wearing glasses the front bead on the Mossberg doesn't pop out to my vision, one of the reasons I bought the Remington a while back-the 870's bead is on a little platform sort of, can I replace the front bead on the Mossberg with something a little larger in diameter? I'm not talking about a ping pong ball or a cue ball of course.
Old November 29, 2008, 02:03 PM   #12
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

http://www.truglo.com/content/produc...ite_deluxe.asp
Just a start... My local walmart had these in a blister pack of several different ones... like 10 bucks IIRC... would this help?
Is yours the white or brass bead? If brass I would polish up brighter...
Brent
Old November 29, 2008, 02:07 PM   #13
Katrina Guy

it's brass Brent

I'll check that link out, apparently I'm not the only one with a completely out of focus front bead huh.
Just checked out the link, I'd have to find out first what size Mossberg puts on the shotgun so I'll have a reference point on size, second these beads light up?, and finally, this apparently can be done by me not needing a gun smith?

Last edited by Katrina Guy; November 29, 2008 at 02:09 PM. Reason: additonal text
Old November 29, 2008, 02:13 PM   #14
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

I considered them but then walked them back to the shelf thinkin... "Shucks that gun hasn't let me down and I have never had any plastic sight parts on anything bigger than a BB gun..." My luck (not known to be good) I would snap it off in the woods flush with the barrel giving a new fixit project...
Brent
Old November 29, 2008, 02:15 PM   #15
Katrina Guy

yea, I was thinking of a larger brass bead is all

If such a thing exist.
Old November 29, 2008, 02:26 PM   #16
Katrina Guy

just to editoralize for a second on my new purchase

It's kind of strange, I mean yes I'm proud to have what I have been waiting to get, proud of my purchase and even somewhat excited about it. But unlike a hunting firearm where you can't wait to take it out hunting, this is just something (Home Defense model) that you hope you never have to use/employ. Kind of a weird feeling, unlike handguns for the same purpose that I have purchased before. Feel like a just spent $300. (with tax) for a bedroom ornament *LOL*
Every other long arm that I purchased in my life was for hunting purposes so naturally I couldn't wait to take it to the woods and shoot game with it.
Old November 29, 2008, 02:33 PM   #17
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Sorry you feel that way... Mine is also my nitty gritty swamp gun. My Mossberg 20 gauge will see more deer hunting than the 28 inch maverick in the closet...
Brent
Old November 29, 2008, 02:50 PM   #18
Katrina Guy

oh I don't know Brent,

another Katrina type event occurs and I'll be most grateful for what I purchased today!