The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 28, 2008, 09:09 PM   #1
drdriller

Home Defense Shotgun?

I have a Remington 870 home defense shotgun. It's super sloppy, and jams easily. Adide from Mossberg, what is a good, smooth, reliable, home defense shotgun? I don't want Mossberg or Remington, the mechanisms are too sloppy.
thanks
Any advice would be great.
Old November 28, 2008, 09:14 PM   #2
oletymer

Browning BPS or Ithaca 37.
Old November 28, 2008, 09:25 PM   #3
nemoaz

Quote:
I have a Remington 870 home defense shotgun. It's super sloppy, and jams easily.
If you can't work an 870, you need training not another weapon. It's probably the most reliable and sturdy shotgun on the market. My weapons instructors said "Treat it like your girlfriend, not your wife." Rack it with authority. You can make any shotgun fail to pump the thing properly. Racking it should be second nature. You should automatically rack it with full force a split second after it fires.

FWIW- Mossbergs are my favorite, because I prefer the lighter weight and the controls. That being said, any pump from a major manufacturer will work well.

Last edited by nemoaz; November 28, 2008 at 09:30 PM.
Old November 28, 2008, 09:34 PM   #4
guntotinguy

Saiga S12 or S20....with extended mags!
Old November 28, 2008, 09:38 PM   #5
Bill DeShivs

Perhaps a Purdey is in order. They have very tight actions.
Old November 28, 2008, 09:49 PM   #6
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Junior didn't like his brand new Maverick because it jammed all the time for him. Being just a teen he was aware he knew everything and blamed the jamming on the gun being both cheap and new. I finally convinced him to hand it over to me and I ran a box of the same ammo and nary a jam... Hand it back and while I watched him closely he has 2 jams on one tube full... It was then I realized he was not following thru with a smooth yet firm action... when I showed him he admitted he was afraid to rack it too hard so as not to harm it.
Brent
Old November 28, 2008, 09:59 PM   #7
singlestack45

Benelli Nova. good, smooth, reliable. My buddy runs one almost as fast as
an autoloader.
Old November 28, 2008, 11:09 PM   #8
drdriller

Thanks for the technique critique. If I rack it back hard, the slide gets stuck back. If I decrease the force, the gun jams 10% of the time. I am not asking for a "How To" on how to shot a pump shotgun, but if anyone knows of a better quality shotgun.

So, aside from the Remington or Mossberg, what is a good, HIGH QUALITY, home defense shotgun? I have shot both a Remington 870, and Mossberg 590. I think that they are approximately the same in regards to quality.
thanks
Old November 28, 2008, 11:17 PM   #9
Scattergun Bob

drdriller

OK, so you are not willing to take some sage advice from some rather experienced folks. The advice is to look within and see what is wrong, well so be it.

Others have suggested BPS by browning and Ithaca. When you are done with those you have been thru most of the "best" pump guns.

Perhaps, autos like Benelli or Remington or Mossberg fit your fiddle better, you have no physical operation skills necessary to make these run except know how to load it.

Good Luck & Be safe
Old November 28, 2008, 11:24 PM   #10
roach4047

Here's an option for you. You can either select something from them or they'll accept the shotgun that you already own and turn it into the best shotgun you could ever hope to have as a home defense weapon. Either way Wilson Combat is second no NOBODY in terms of craftsmanship or quality. They love working on 870's as well. At the very least you should give them a call and talk to them about the problems you're having. They'll have several options available to you. And you can be assured that you'll get no better advice from anybody than you will from the gunsmiths @ Wilson Combat.

http://www.wilsoncombat.com/why-wc.asp

Roach
Old November 29, 2008, 01:11 AM   #11
Teppo Sensei

i love my 870
if you short rack any pump it will jam
maybe you need a semi or a double barrel

a pistol grip converted SBR saiga12 would be fun with a 10rd mag
Old November 29, 2008, 09:39 AM   #12
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

S'funny, I've been shooting 870s since Mastodon went on the endangered list and can count the glitches on one hand.

I've had rusty agency 870s run like butter, and some personal 870s here have 20K round counts in my hands.

Still, any company can have lemons. Do try this.....

After ensuring that it's empty, remove the barrel, action bars, boltncarrier and drop the trigger group. Using a good light source, check the shell latches on the inside of the receiver, looking for a bent/broken tip.

Then examine the action bars. They should be straight and parallel. If not, use a straight edge like a yardstick to true them up.

If a latch needs replacement, any decent smith can do it in his/her sleep.

While you have things apart, lube lightly (wipe on wipe off) and remove any receiver grunge you find. Lube the action bars the same way and reassemble.

If somehow this fails to fix your 870, bring it by the range or other place we can meet. I'll pay you $200 cash sight unseen to put towards any other pump of your choice and to get this one running PDQ.

It'll be another PETP rescue effort.....
Old November 29, 2008, 10:09 AM   #13
drdriller

I'll try that. My main issue is that when I rack the slide back, it jams open, and i cannot get it to move forward. If I rack it with less force, the spent shell ejects, but the new shell gets stuck half way if. If I rack with more force, the spent shell ejects, and the new shell goes in. Sometimes, 10% of the time, the rack will stick open, and I have one hell of a time getting it unstuck. I have shot about 200 rounds through the gun, and have had this problem from day one. I have shot 3" magnums, and 2 3/4 birdshot, and 00. This happens no matter what brand I have, I have lots laying around from the birds hunting with my Browing gold huinter.

Any more help would be great. I don't relish the thought of getting a new gun, I like this one, but I need it, or me, to be more reliable.
Old November 29, 2008, 10:13 AM   #14
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

You did do an initial teardown when new correct? I know nothing of the 870's so could someone speak up as to what could cause the action to hang open? Maybe a scum issue?
Brent
Old November 29, 2008, 10:56 AM   #15
drdriller

I took it apart, cleaned it, then lubed it. I did not debur or sand anything down. I have never bought any firearm that needed something like that. I expect it to work with some lube.
Old November 29, 2008, 11:26 AM   #16
tackdriver

Doesn't Remington offer a warranty?
Old November 30, 2008, 08:10 AM   #17
762x39

Benelli all the way!!!
Old November 30, 2008, 10:31 AM   #18
drdriller

This is to dave or anyone else in Houston, I'll take that $200.
Old December 1, 2008, 04:25 PM   #19
ThChrMn

I'd send it back for repairs. That gun should cycle perfectly.

Anyway, I would go with an auto loader. I have a Benelli that has never let me down.
Old December 3, 2008, 11:01 PM   #20
iuindy2l

Winchester 1300

I love my 3 Winchester 1300s. 2 black shadows and an 18 inch defender. Never a problem out of any of them.
Old December 3, 2008, 11:23 PM   #21
scorpion_tyr

This has to be the first negative 870 post I've seen. I'm not trying to insult you or say you're doing anything wrong, I'm just going to try and cover everything. Stop after the gun starts functioning properly. For the safety of you and your family I hope the problem is resolved quickly.

1. Follow the inspect and/or repair procedures, and advise of the others that replied before me, a gunsmith, and people at Remington.

2. Shoot the gun again.

3. Try at least 4 different brands/types of ammunition, bought, not handloaded.

4. Shoot the gun again.

5. Let someone else, with a few hundred rounds through a pump, shoot the gun.

6. Send gun back to Remington.

7. Shoot the gun again.

8. Sell gun, buy another pump action, either another 870 or another "higher" quality brand.

9. Shoot gun.

10. Buy an automatic.

11. Shoot gun.

12. See a pro-gun priest.

I listed these steps instead of suggesting another "higher" quality brand because I do not believe there is another brand that is of higher quality than Remington or Mossberg. The 870 would not have lasted longer than 50 years, nor would it be (from what I have seen) the most popular shotgun in the world, if the design had flaws. If you like the feel of the 870, just not the reliability, and you get to step 8, I suggest buy another 870.
Old December 3, 2008, 11:26 PM   #22
KUHIO

The 870 is a military/LE grade weapon, perhaps you have a factory defective firearm??? I wouldn't say 870 is poor quality at all, it's been around a long time. I won't criticize your technique, sounds like you've done it all. I'd contact Remington or your local gunsmith to check it out, you may not need to buy a new gun. Hope you get it sorted out
Old December 5, 2008, 02:06 AM   #23
skeeter1

Remington 870 bad?

Quote:
"If you can't work an 870, you need training not another weapon. It's probably the most reliable and sturdy shotgun on the market."
That's news to me. My brother's police department (he's the Chief) have used them for years, and no one's ever complained.

I prefer side-by-side doubles, but that's only me. The pumps are probably the best way to go.
Old December 5, 2008, 11:04 AM   #24
LucifersPants

drdriller...while I've never owned a Remmy 870, but I have fired several of them shooting skeet with friends, and never had an issue. New/old/clean/dirty, they all worked quite well. I do have a Mossberg 590 that has never had a single issue, and I've put thousands of rounds through it...slugs, 00 buck, target loads (despite it's 20" barrel, I have lots of fun busting clays with it, and I can generally hit about 2 out of 3 targets...doubles are a little tough with a pump) Sometimes I get a chuckle or two when I first take the gun out of the case, but they usually shut right up when I start hitting more targets than they do with their $2000 semi-autos.

Maybe you just got a lemon?? I suppose that can happen with anything. I hope you get it sorted out. Good luck.
Old December 5, 2008, 12:45 PM   #25
New_Pollution1086

user error

T
- T. Boone Pickens