The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old November 28, 2008, 08:10 AM   #1
rsh32crew

Decocking a Glock 23

Hello All,

I am new to the pistol world and do not want to be uneducated with my pistol. I have read here that there are 3 internal safety mechanisms for the Glock 23. I am wondering since there is no "decocker" what is the proper method of decocking the glock if there is any issue.

I know to remove the magazine, but what is the proper method upon this for removing a jammed round? Also, is it possible to decock the pistol with a round in the chamber?

Thanks,
Old November 28, 2008, 08:17 AM   #2
Tamara
Moderator Emeritus

Since a Glock is never completely "cocked", there is no method of "de-cocking" one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsh32crew
I know to remove the magazine, but what is the proper method upon this for removing a jammed round?
Cycle the slide. Also, when unloading the gun for storage or cleaning, make sure to remove the magazine first, then cycle the slide to remove the round in the chamber.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsh32crew
Also, is it possible to decock the pistol with a round in the chamber?
No.
Old November 28, 2008, 08:21 AM   #3
trublu

Hi. Sounds like you need some training.

No you do not decock the pistol. There are only 3 controls - the mag release, the slide/slide stop and the trigger. The pistol can only fire when the trigger is pulled - that is the 3 safeties you are talking about.

To prove the weapon is clear, firstly make sure you are pointing it in a safe direction, remove the magazine with the mag release, pull and lock the slide back to eject the round in the chamber. You can now check that the magazine is out and there is no round in the chamber. The weapon is now safe to pass to others or to store.

To load, insert a magazine and release the slide lock to let the slide move forward and chamber a round. Pulling the trigger will fire a round.

Thats enough to start with, I'll leave the rest to others....
Old November 28, 2008, 08:25 AM   #4
Homerboy

Please get yourself some training. Guns (and particularly Glocks) are not something that you learn with as you go along. Did you take a course or anything prior to buying a pistol? If not, you really should, or at the very least, go shooting with an experienced shooter who will school you.
Old November 28, 2008, 08:35 AM   #5
stephen426

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamara
Since a Glock is never completely "cocked", there is no method of "de-cocking" one.
Technically, you can decock a Glock by pulling the trigger. Make sure the gun is unloaded first!!! This step is required for disassembling the gun for cleaning. The gun goes into the half-cock position once it is racked (or when it is fired and the slide moves back to load another round). Glocks are perfectly safe to carry in the half cock position.
Old November 28, 2008, 08:48 AM   #6
Tamara
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen426
Technically, you can decock a Glock by pulling the trigger. Make sure the gun is unloaded first!!! This step is required for disassembling the gun for cleaning. The gun goes into the half-cock position once it is racked (or when it is fired and the slide moves back to load another round). Glocks are perfectly safe to carry in the half cock position.
Yes, I know all this. Thank you.

When a novice says "How do I decock my Glock?", I am not going to push up on my scotch-taped glasses, adjust my GSSF lapel pin, and intone "Well, technically, you can de-cock a Glock by pulling the trigger..." because, sure as God made little green apples, there would be a *BANG!* before I could follow up with "Make sure the gun is unloaded first!!!"

It's not cocked, it doesn't need to be de-cocked, and that's all that really pertains at this point. We can cover the vagaries of the Safe-Action™ lockwork at the armorer's course.
Old November 28, 2008, 09:02 AM   #7
rsh32crew

Many Thanks

Many thanks for all of the information, I know that a handgun is not the gun you go to learn with. I have several law enforcement friends and expert shooters who I will be attending the range with. There is also a class (i believe two day) that I will be attending after the new year (i don't have money as I just bought a place to live). In this class you learn proper safe techniques and the basic how to's with your weapon.

I'm honestly not one of the morons who just goes out to buy a handgun to abuse my privaledges. Hence, why I joined this forum and am asking questions. I will take note to what everyone has said and look forward to many more questions and answers here with the expert members of this site.

Thanks again
Old November 28, 2008, 09:27 AM   #8
Jimtl

Rsh32crew ... congrats on choosing a great pistol! You've also made a great choice signing up for that gun training/safety class. Be safe and enjoy!
Old November 28, 2008, 09:42 AM   #9
anythingshiny

good job joining the fray here...a lot of opinion but a lot of good information too!

all above are correct, unlike other systems ( hk or sig for example ) the Glock Safe Action has no external safety or decocker.

Read the manual again and it sounds like you have some training lined up already...good deal.

The design of the G19 is one reason why I chose it as my fighting pistol as well as the wife's bedside bump in the night gun..no "safety" or decocker to fumble with in the dark...pick up, point, squeeze, repeat.

Congrats and enjoy the zoo.
Old November 28, 2008, 09:50 AM   #10
sheepman

RSH you are doing the right thing by taking training. I would suggest that you search the Internet for details on how the Glock works, when you understand how the drop safety works you will not worry about decocking one. The drop safety is a shelf that keeps the trigger engaged with the striker and only lets it drop out of the way when the trigger is pulled all the way to the rear. This IMHO is where the Glock is safer than an M&P or XD. Be Safe and enjoy your new gun--Bill
Old November 28, 2008, 12:40 PM   #11
Tatsumi67

Buddy,

From the nature of your question I gather that you don't quiet understand how handguns work. Take some training courses. Your local VFW, Range or Gunshop can help you out with that. Hands on training is the ONLY way to really understand what you do with a gun.

Glocks are DAO or Double Action Only pistols, meaning the hammer cannot be cocked untill you are actually pulling the trigger. Glocks are unlike other pistols as tehy dont use the traditional safety mechanism, its more than effective in its uniqueness but it will make you very anal about constantly checking the chamber.

The key to safe gun handling in my educated opinion Is awareness of your gun, knowing what its doing, why its doing it, when its doing it.
Currently schemeing on an AR-15 build.
Old November 28, 2008, 12:48 PM   #12
ElectricHellfire

As others have said, Glocks are not decockable unless you pull the trigger. Theres no need to do so since they are not fully "cocked" until the trigger is pulled. No need to beat that horse.

Training would do you some good and experience would do some better. I never had one training session, unless you count CHL class, and I figured out stuff including Glocks. Make it a practice to triple check that its unloaded and go to town with dry firing excercises, handling and disassembling it. Glocks are about as simple as you can get and its pretty hard to mess one up.

Above all, be safe, but do more than attend training class. Familiarize yourself with the thing. You'll be fine.

BTW, Welcome to TFL.
Old November 28, 2008, 01:22 PM   #13
golfnutrlv

+1 Glock System

The Glock is a very dependable, and safe weapon. I feel safe and secure knowing that the only way my Glock is going to fire is if I pull the trigger. Therefore, I feel comfortable not having to work a safety like a 1911.
America is at an awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards.
Old November 28, 2008, 08:00 PM   #14
MADISON

Decocking a Glock 23

How do you decock a Glock?
That is very simple---Take your finger off the trigger.
Old November 28, 2008, 10:39 PM   #15
oneounceload

Quote:
How do you decock a Glock?
That is very simple---Take your finger off the trigger.
that's it - very simple......simple is good
Old November 28, 2008, 11:52 PM   #16
vox rationis

Please don't give yourself a Glock Leg...Check that chamber three different times to make sure your chamber is empty, every single time, before "decocking", that is pulling the trigger on that Glock.
Old November 29, 2008, 09:33 PM   #17
fg12351

NRA Basic Pistol Course

I attended it about a month ago, I highly recommend it.
Old November 29, 2008, 09:45 PM   #18
BanditSRT8

lol, I love when people get up on their hind legs and talk down to others.... and then say something just as wrong as the point they are replying to.

Quote:
Buddy,

From the nature of your question I gather that you don't quiet understand how handguns work. Take some training courses. Your local VFW, Range or Gunshop can help you out with that. Hands on training is the ONLY way to really understand what you do with a gun.

Glocks are DAO or Double Action Only pistols, meaning the hammer cannot be cocked untill you are actually pulling the trigger. Glocks are unlike other pistols as tehy dont use the traditional safety mechanism, its more than effective in its uniqueness but it will make you very anal about constantly checking the chamber.

The key to safe gun handling in my educated opinion Is awareness of your gun, knowing what its doing, why its doing it, when its doing it.
"Buddy" (note how being condescending can be irritating),

From the nature of your answer, I gather that you don't quite understand how Glocks work.

Glocks are N-O-T DAO pistols. They are semi-cocked once the slide has been racked, and a round has been chambered. Pulling the trigger completes the cocking action then releases the striker at the end of the trigger pull.

So before you go talking down to others, and expounding on your proficiency in handguns, you might want to know what you're actually talking about. It's one thing if you had offered help, but you chose to degrade the OP and put yourself up on some internet pedestal in hopes that he would be in awe of your incredible knowledge. That bugs me.

While Glock calls it "Safe-Action", it is a proprietary name for semi-cocked, and it is most certainly not double-action only.
XD9 SC 2 tone | Glock 19 "Cogan Custom" | HK45 | HK P7M8 | HK P30 | Kimber Eclipse Pro II | Springfield EMP | Glock 19 TALO Limited Edition | S&W 1911 Doug Koenig Edition Bi-Tone | EAA Witness Elite "MATCH" | XD40 Service V10 ported "Custom" | Ruger LCP | S&W M&P15 w/EOTech | GSG-5 L | FN FS2000 w/EOTech
Old December 1, 2008, 08:43 AM   #19
rsh32crew

Thanks Bandit for you help, I didn't feel like I should be looked down upon for trying to further understand my pistol, as well as go to the people who should be most willing to give advice and assistance to a fellow friend.
Old December 1, 2008, 09:05 AM   #20
Sturmgewehre

Quote:
As others have said, Glocks are not decockable unless you pull the trigger. Theres no need to do so since they are not fully "cocked" until the trigger is pulled. No need to beat that horse.
Not to beat a dead horse or anything...

There is a need to "de-cock" a Glock, and that's for disassembly. I agree there's no need to de-cock one for carry as already noted it can't fire until the trigger is pulled and the striker is pulled completely rearward before being released.

But you will need to return the striker to its at rest position by pulling the trigger before you can disassemble it.

This is an important note as recently we've seen at least two threads where LEO's have had accidental discharges when "de-cocking" their Glocks while they were attempting to disassemble them.

I know you already know this, I just wanted to make it clear to the OP there is a need to dry fire the pistol... or to "de-cock" it.

Last edited by Sturmgewehre; December 1, 2008 at 09:20 AM.
Old December 6, 2008, 08:38 PM   #21
new2thagame

i was in the same boat. this was my first gun and the first one i ever shot or handled. i did some reading and asked the people at the gun store about everything and now i know a good bit about it. before i didnt even know how to load or unload one so trainging is always good
Old December 6, 2008, 08:52 PM   #22
cchardwick

I think a Glock should be 'decocked' when it's unloaded and stored in a safe. Basically you remove all the ammo and pull the trigger which takes the tension off of the spring. How many people do you know that actually get training on a gun before buying it? Every single gun that I've purchased in a retail store came with absolutely no instruction at all. I didn't even get instructions on how to disassemble or clean it. The way I've always 'trained' with my guns is to buy them and sit down with the owners manual and read it cover to cover. Then take it apart and put it back together, work the action with no ammo, take it to the range and shoot it, search online and post questions like the one you asked here. No questions are dumb, if you have one feel free to post it and ignore all the grumpy people.

Old December 6, 2008, 10:00 PM   #23
vox rationis

Quote:
I think a Glock should be 'decocked' when it's unloaded and stored in a safe.
Well the old Glock boxes had a built in "decocker" It was that post that fit inside the trigger guard only if the trigger was in the uncocked position..of course they did have 3, yes count them, 3 stickers inside the box warning not to stick the Perfection in there if there was a chambered round in it, but with that box, Gaston managed to build the Perfect Moron Trap
Old December 6, 2008, 11:04 PM   #24
Officer's Match

If someone wanted to bad enough, it is possible (not advisable) to empty the chamber, pull the trigger, remove the slide, remove the recoil spring assembly, slide the barrel forward enough to allow a cartridge to be placed into the chamber while the rim of the cartridge in engaged with the extractor, slide the barrel back in place, reassemble the Glock in a new "3rd" condition. Now the trigger is "dead" until reset by a very small rearward movement of the slide.

A long way to go for a nonsense problem, but it is possible - a decocked, chambered Glock.
Old December 7, 2008, 08:55 PM   #25
vox rationis

Quote:
If someone wanted to bad enough, it is possible (not advisable) to empty the chamber, pull the trigger, remove the slide, remove the recoil spring assembly, slide the barrel forward enough to allow a cartridge to be placed into the chamber while the rim of the cartridge in engaged with the extractor, slide the barrel back in place, reassemble the Glock in a new "3rd" condition. Now the trigger is "dead" until reset by a very small rearward movement of the slide.

A long way to go for a nonsense problem, but it is possible - a decocked, chambered Glock.
haha awesome! But if Gaston was dead he'd be rolling in his grave at the mere mention of such a molestation and perversion of his sweat Perfection design