The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old November 21, 2008, 05:26 PM   #1
alan

Kopel on Eric Holder, Obama's pick for AG

From what I've read of Kopel on Gun Control and The Second Amendment, he is on our side. It would appear, from the following evaluation and comments that Mr. Holder isn't. Might this appointment be a good look in at what Obama's view of gun rights and The Second Amendment are? If it is, trouble can be seen on the horizon. One also wonders re what might be expected from Obama's administration. Rham Emmanuel, might I note in passing, is no friend to gun rights, gun owners and or The Second Amendment. He is Obama's Chief of Staff.

Friday, November 21, 2008
Obama's Second Amendment - Eric Holder

David Kopel puts together an excellent description of Eric Holder with regards to gun control. If Obama thinks this is a convincing move to support his claim that he supports the second amendment, I think we can continue to believe him a liar, or at least a politician, which is about the same thing.

As Deputy Attorney General, Holder was a strong supporter of restrictive gun control. He advocated federal licensing of handgun owners, a three day waiting period on handgun sales, rationing handgun sales to no more than one per month, banning possession of handguns and so-called "assault weapons" (cosmetically incorrect guns) by anyone under age of 21, a gun show restriction bill that would have given the federal government the power to shut down all gun shows, national gun registration, and mandatory prison sentences for trivial offenses (e.g., giving your son an heirloom handgun for Christmas, if he were two weeks shy of his 21st birthday). He also promoted the factoid that "Every day that goes by, about 12, 13 more children in this country die from gun violence"--a statistic is true only if one counts 18-year-old gangsters who shoot each other as "children."(Sources: Holder testimony before House Judiciary Committee, Subcommitee on Crime, May 27,1999; Holder Weekly Briefing, May 20, 2000. One of the bills that Holder endorsed is detailed in my 1999 Issue Paper "Unfair and Unconstitutional.")
Old November 22, 2008, 11:35 AM   #2
Bartholomew Roberts

Hmmm... I am starting to see a pattern here: Eric Holder, Rahm Emmanuel, Janet Napolitano...

Not to mention the latest news that all potential Obama appointees are having to answer questions regarding their firearms ownership (and that of their family as well):

http://news.yahoo.com/s/politico/200...XG2CHE52gSq594

I've got to say that it is a pattern that doesn't look very promising for us.
Old November 23, 2008, 10:07 PM   #3
Glenn E. Meyer

Kopel is a major progun scholar and advocte. BTW - he let me shoot his guns in Colorado and is a very nice guy!

Check out his various books for a serious review of the issues.