The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old November 19, 2008, 11:23 AM   #1
w_houle

Just bought a .38 Special

I bought a revolver from gunbroker and am paying for it on Friday. I don't plan to shoot it much, if I even shoot it at all. I know a lot of my questions will be answered by handling the gun itself, but just felt like asking before I go tearing into it when it gets here.
It's an RG-63 in .38 Special. It's a double action revolver with a loading gate and cartridge ejector similar to an SAA. I tried to find information about it, but can only find generally bad comments about the manufacturing company. So, aside for how well they work, does anyone know how they work? Are they based on another design? Do they have a half- cock notch, or do they load like a Ruger?
It was $100 +30 to ship, and $20 for the FFL.
Old November 19, 2008, 02:56 PM   #2
Daryl

Umm...you want the truth?

As much as I hate to tell you this, I think you probably got ripped off.

RG = pot metal gun = junk. They're generally refered to as an example of the ultimate in cheaply made firearms.

I've only seen two of them in my life. One belonged to my cousin, and he had a lot of problems with it. The other was under the counter in a gunshop I worked at for a short time back in the late 1980's. The top half of the cylinder was missing, along with the top strap. We showed it to people who insisted that they wanted "one of those quality built RG's that their friend told them about".

The one my cousin had would make a worn out sloppy Taurus look like precision art work.

But other than that, they aren't too bad.

Daryl
Old November 19, 2008, 03:10 PM   #3
w_houle

I have two types of guns: The ones that I shoot, and the ones that I take apart and play with, and this is the latter of the two.
I was looking for pertinent information on the particular piece, and since you only have dealt with two, and by the sound of things not this model. Because you don't want to participate in this thread in any meaningful way; I kindly ask that you edit yourself out of it. Thank you.
Old November 19, 2008, 03:15 PM   #4
Darsh

He offered his experience and opinion, which is meaningful imho.
Old November 19, 2008, 03:17 PM   #5
dmickey

I'm with Daryl!! :barf:
Old November 19, 2008, 06:09 PM   #6
w_houle

I started this thread to get INFORMATION, not to read troll BS.
I knew the issues before posting anything. So to those who post "Fuh fuh fuh, its a P.O.S. hurr a durr", I KNEW the quality of the piece already.
So, with that being said: is there anyone who has any information on this piece.
Old November 19, 2008, 08:21 PM   #7
Coastal

Once you have it in your hands and fire it,
you'll have all the information that you will need.
Old November 19, 2008, 08:42 PM   #8
w_houle

Wow, really? Golly Gee willikers there buddy; I didn't know that! Now please, listen:
Any information about the action/ lockwork would be great. If there are any special tools needed to work on it would be nice to know.
Is this the only gun like this, or is it a copy of something?
Old November 19, 2008, 10:46 PM   #9
Daryl

My apology for simply stating the truth of my experience with RG's.

If telling the truth is considered "trolling", then perhaps I'm a troll. I tend to tell things the way I see them, and I'm not a newbie on firearm and hunting discussion boards. In fact, I'm an administrator on one of them, and try to treat others with respect as a result.

On that note, I tried to respectfully state my opinion. In no way did I ever try to insult you, but sometimes the truth isn't accepted well.

If the RG is up to your standards for whatever intended use you may have for it, then by all means enjoy it for all the fun it's worth. I'd not try to detract from another's joy.

Please forgive me if I don't want to shoot next to you at the range, though. I have my reasons.

Daryl
Old November 20, 2008, 07:30 AM   #10
mega twin

You might try Numrich,or Gun-parts for a schematic that will help with your project>
Old November 20, 2008, 07:34 AM   #11
WESHOOT2

mine

Many years ago I had one, a swing-out cylinder version, in 4"; I wore it.

Do NOT shoot +P loads.

Mine "spit" badly, but was reliable in function and very accurate.

It is was it is, that's all that it is.

(The version you have is copied from early Colt DA versions.)
Old November 20, 2008, 09:13 AM   #12
w_houle

I forgot about Numrich: They have online viewable schematics.
I looked at their schematic for the gun in question, and it sure is an odd one. I cannot find an online schematic of the DA Colt (Thunderer or Lightning). For a DA, it doesn't look as complicated as I thought it would be.
Old November 20, 2008, 09:37 AM   #13
Hemicuda

I have experience with one... but since it is not a totally positive experience, it would make me a troll to post it... so I'll refrain...

Enjoy your ULTRA nice, SUPER-high quality piece, w_hole... you asked for exxperiences with these and then bit the head off the first poster with actual, real-world experience...

and you call HIM a troll?

If you want my experience with one, ask nicely... and I'll tell you...

gun and car collector.
Rare cars, and rarer guns.
Old November 20, 2008, 09:46 AM   #14
Captain38

RG Revolvers

The RG revolvers ARE strong AND heavy and would make great boat anchors!
Old November 20, 2008, 10:17 AM   #15
w_houle

I know the company has a reputation for being shiat. I guess I didn't frame the question in a matter that was easily understood. No I wasn't asking if the company was any good, or if the gun in question has any defects, flaws, drawbacks, setbacks, or any other problems. There has been a number of people who felt they didn't have anything to add, so they went on to other things. Two people were helpful; although I cannot find DA Colt schematics to make comparisons to..
Oh and Hemicuda, nice way of making a veiled as(remove)shole comment. Like that isn't trolling in any way.
Old November 20, 2008, 01:55 PM   #16
Laz

Wow!

Use It Up, Wear It Out,
Make It Do, Or Do Without