The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old November 18, 2008, 04:30 PM   #1
keller
Registration in progress

Glock 23 - Talo Limited Edition

Being new to the Forum I suspect that this has been discussed previously at times. My apologies if it has.

A dealer I know has 2 Glock 23's - Talo Limited Edition, new in the case, never been fired and is offering them to me. I did look at them and they are a nice looking handgun. Also, they are consecutive serial numbers (for whatever that's worth).

Are they worthy of being considered for "Collectors Items?" Price is $590 each, no sales tax. Or are they just a nice looking gun to use for self defense and at the range?

Would like to get your comments.

Thanks.
Old November 21, 2008, 08:29 PM   #2
AUG

I never though a Glock could be made uglier. Then I saw a Talo.
Old November 21, 2008, 09:39 PM   #3
packa45

I seriously doubt they'll ever be considered a collector's gun but that's a good price. If you want a Glock and like the Talo edition then go for it. I've seen them cost more than that so it's probably a good deal.

Don't mess with the bull, you'll get the horns.
Old November 21, 2008, 09:47 PM   #4
BanditSRT8

I love mine. I own a TALO G19, bought it the week they were released.

Don't buy it for collectibility, buy it because you like it. Between buying a new Glock and then having the barrel jeweled, and a custom slide finish (which no one can seem to do this exact finish anyway) you'd spend about $800.

Mine cost me $700 or $750, whetever the list price was when they were released. So to see it drop so steeply, so quickly... that should show you it is not an investment.

I won't ever part with mine. Damn nicest looking Glock out there.

XD9 SC 2 tone | Glock 19 "Cogan Custom" | HK45 | HK P7M8 | HK P30 | Kimber Eclipse Pro II | Springfield EMP | Glock 19 TALO Limited Edition | S&W 1911 Doug Koenig Edition Bi-Tone | EAA Witness Elite "MATCH" | XD40 Service V10 ported "Custom" | Ruger LCP | S&W M&P15 w/EOTech | GSG-5 L | FN FS2000 w/EOTech
Old November 21, 2008, 10:07 PM   #5
MrNiceGuy

The talo glock is a great addition to anyones polished **** (4 letter word that means poop and starts with "T") collection, like a gold plated huffy bicycle or a diamond studded Tupperware container.

the glock is, was, and should be all about function and utility...
polishing the slide and adding gold accents is great... if you're also going to add sights to the side for the "gangsta shootout".....
http://www.smh.com.au/ffximage/2006/..._gun_sight.jpg

all imo of course

edit #1

i cant belive **** is blocked
does **** work?

edit #2

yup
Old November 21, 2008, 10:13 PM   #6
packa45

Quote:
the glock is, was, and should be all about function and utility...
polishing the slide and adding gold accents is great... if you're also going to add sights to the side for the "gangsta shootout".....
I know that you said that's just your opinion but I don't know how the talo Glock is in any way "gangsterized"? You're right a Glock is about function but I don't see how what they've done takes away from that. At $590 for a Glock 23 you're not paying much more than a stock model. It adds just enough personalization to set it apart from a stock G23. Maybe that's all the OP is looking for?

Old November 21, 2008, 10:17 PM   #7
MrNiceGuy

Quote:
It adds just enough personalization to set it apart from a stock G23. Maybe that's all the OP is looking for?
personalization?

i dont think that word means what you think it does

it's just a "bling bling" package that's uniformly mass produced

if high points came polished up and with gold accents everyone would make jokes
there's no difference as far as i can see
Old November 21, 2008, 10:34 PM   #8
hoytinak

Quote:
I never though a Glock could be made uglier. Then I saw a Talo.
Beat me to it.

Don't get me wrong, I love all three of my Glocks, I just don't think Glocks look right with any "bling bling"....but each to their own. I'm sure not everyone likes the looks of some of my guns.
Old November 21, 2008, 10:38 PM   #9
packa45

Yeah you're probably right. I should go look up the true definition of the word.

Using a hi point analogy alongside a Glock is going to get you strung up and quartered by some people around here.

If a polished slide, jeweled barrel, and gold accents on the engraved name is your version of "bling-bling" then you need to search this forum and some others more extensively. It's not like they replaced the grip with a diamond and ruby encrusted bust of Tupac. You make it sound like the mag release and slide lock are 24k gold. It's your opinion though like you said. Just as this is mine. It's a small amount over the price of a stock G23 and if the OP likes the look of it then he should do it...despite you or anyone else thinking he's buying a bling bling show off gun with limited function.

Edit: check the numbers also. That size of a production run is no where close to being called mass produced. They do offer a level of personalization in that it's personal taste of the owner.

Old November 22, 2008, 12:00 AM   #10
vox rationis

Quote:
The talo glock is a great addition to anyones polished **** (4 letter word that means poop and starts with "T") collection, like a gold plated huffy bicycle or a diamond studded Tupperware container.
that is hilarious

But if someone digs the TALO treatment, then more power to em
Old November 22, 2008, 12:10 AM   #11
Wyo Big Bore

I can't believe how many guys on here are bashing having a nice looking weapon. I think they look nice and I always get people looking at mine when at the range. The measure of a gun should be that they go bang when the trigger is pulled and that they are accurate within reason. The glock is all that and those bashing them know that.
Old November 22, 2008, 08:21 AM   #12
AUG

I am all for nice looking weapons/BBQ guns etc.

The talo does not belong in that group.
Old November 22, 2008, 09:06 AM   #13
Officer's Match

Well, I actually like it. For that price, why not?
Old November 22, 2008, 09:34 AM   #14
BanditSRT8

Not sure what all the chest thumping is all about.

Take a wonderfully reliable gun that comes standard in a very basic look and modify it slightly to make it a bit more attractive. Doesn't take away from the functionality, and makes it "look" a bit more desirable like half the mods available for a 1911.

Nothing bling about it. Actually the finish work is very subtle (as compared to nickle plating, etc) and looks great. Nothing over the top about it at all.

And at only 300 made of the G19 and 300 made of the G23, they are HARDLY mass produced. But I wouldn't expect anything less than pure speculation from MrNiceGuy anyway.
XD9 SC 2 tone | Glock 19 "Cogan Custom" | HK45 | HK P7M8 | HK P30 | Kimber Eclipse Pro II | Springfield EMP | Glock 19 TALO Limited Edition | S&W 1911 Doug Koenig Edition Bi-Tone | EAA Witness Elite "MATCH" | XD40 Service V10 ported "Custom" | Ruger LCP | S&W M&P15 w/EOTech | GSG-5 L | FN FS2000 w/EOTech
Old November 22, 2008, 10:05 AM   #15
Pops 1

I would buy them in a heart beat. Pops
Old November 22, 2008, 01:40 PM   #16
Ozzieman

If you like the gun, then buy it, and don’t worry about what others think here.
What they did to the gun does nothing to take away from its function and that is the important issue.
The gold Glock is not something I would want on a gun just for the fact that it reflects light, same for the machined barrel.
But who am I to talk. Last summer I picked up a gun that I had been looking for, for a long time.
A smith and Wesson "Thunder Ranch" N frame 44 special.
My best friend calls it the Thunder Chicken, it has this HUGE gold engraving on the side of the frame for the thunder ranch. I hate the gold medallion but love the gun.
As with all things, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder.
But let’s face it, Glocks are ugggly,,,, and if a gun ever got me a date like a new car, say a Corvette could,,,,,
You can bet that I would not be carrying a Glock.
But since I am married and impressing my wife in any way is long gone,,,,
I will stick with my G26,,,, a highly modified G26.
Old November 22, 2008, 01:52 PM   #17
keller
Registration in progress

Apparently some like the Talo and some don't. I will be seeing the dealer who has them today...I'm thinking I will get them both.

Thanks for all your comments!
Old November 22, 2008, 05:17 PM   #18
RINGKINGS

Who carries the Talo?

anyone know what dealers carrry the Talo versions???
Old November 26, 2008, 01:18 AM   #19
#1 Moses

I like it

Some rifles jewel the bolt. It aid to hold lube. For a few bucks more over a std glock I would spend the extra just to be different. If you sent that job out to a smith it would be expencive
Old November 26, 2008, 09:37 PM   #20
Tatsumi67

I was actually talking to a range employee today after reading this thread.. we had a few laughs.... nuff said.

A jeweled breach would be kinda cool, but you can just buy aftermarket barrels like that from lone wolf instead of getting a "Talo custom"
Currently schemeing on an AR-15 build.
Old November 26, 2008, 09:49 PM   #21
packa45

Quote:
A jeweled breach would be kinda cool, but you can just buy aftermarket barrels like that from lone wolf instead of getting a "Talo custom"
So what exactly did you two laugh about? I don't get it. At that price for a limited run gun what's funny? The OP likes it. Add up the cost of a new Glock 23 and add on the cost of a LW aftermarket barrel. (the cheapest maker of those btw) You'll come out with a more expensive gun than this one. If you buy one with that hideous logo on the top side of the barrel then feel free to laugh. To each his own.

To the OP-I hope you did go buy them both. Keep them both if you want or sell one for more than you paid...easily. Take that money and buy a couple thousand rounds of ammo and take that new toy to the range. Shoot the middle of the targets out with it and hush everyone up that wants to talk about how it looks.

Old November 27, 2008, 04:42 AM   #22
BanditSRT8

I too wondered what would be so funny.

You couldn't build the gun to mimic the looks of the TALO for the price of the TALO.

And even if you did... it would not be a true limited edition piece.

I see that you too are in MN... I hope we shoot at the same range and you give a hearty chuckle at the TALO when I'm around... I'd love to hear your reasoning as to why it's such a terrible waste of money.
Old November 27, 2008, 03:12 PM   #23
varoadking

Not a bad if you like that sort of thing...as long as you don't overpay for it...

These have always sold NIB for about the same as any other Glock...

Someone on this board said they paid $800.00 for one and that it was worth every penny...
Old November 27, 2008, 03:19 PM   #24
AJD21

Just remember..we are all "serious operators" on this forum...and need our guns to reflect our "tactical" and "utilitarian" needs. Just in case one of those paper targets at the range starts firing back!
Old November 27, 2008, 03:47 PM   #25
ElectricHellfire

Quote:
I was actually talking to a range employee today after reading this thread.. we had a few laughs.... nuff said.
I dont get it. Why would this firearm elicit laughs from you or a "range employee"?

The gun looks good to me.

Tags
talo