The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 16, 2008, 03:21 PM   #1
petefett22

Adding a Mag Ext to 870

I am considering getting a 26" 870 due to the lack of availability of the HD version. The guy at Dicks told me I could simply add an extender, but I was reading on some other postings about the dimples. I looked at the 870 and sure enough they have it. A guy named Scattergun Bob seems to know the way to do this. Can anyone advise how hard this is and any experience with sending one back for warrenty that was modified and getting denied.

thx
Old November 16, 2008, 04:42 PM   #2
MAX100

The 870 Express models that come with a factory mag tube ext don't have the mag tube dimples. That is the Express HD I would recommend., Model # 25077.

GC

Last edited by MAX100; November 16, 2008 at 09:49 PM.
Old November 16, 2008, 05:01 PM   #3
bcrash15

That is also what I would recommend, so you don't have to go grinding on a new gun. I just got an 870 express with an 18" barrel and factory 3 round extension tube (I guess that's the HD model you speak of). I chose this model mostly because I can drop in a new barrel, take the extension off, and add a regular magazine spring and cap and have a legal hunting gun but don't have to deal with the dimples.

I do find it odd that the HD model is not available. I don't know what your feelings are on online gun purchases shipped to local dealers, but there are some decent deals online, it depends on how much your FFL charges for transfers. I bought a model 5077, which is the gun I spoke of above, 12ga 18" 6+1.
Old November 16, 2008, 07:09 PM   #4
Scattergun Bob

petefett22

That guy Scattergun Bob, watch out for HIM!

There are a number of ways to remove those pesky dimples, drill them out, if you have the right dent removal mandrel you can drive them out, you can remove them with a dremel tool. The problem is to make sure that the inside of your tube is baby butt smooth so that the follower does not snag on the alterations. I have had a shotgun returned from Remington as warranty void because this operation:barf:. You will also need to find a way to secure the mag extension so it does not come unthreated, 1 good reason for a mag clamp. So my suggestion is NO DON'T do that to a new scattergun.

I would think that if you are interested in a mag extension, pay a little extra and get it from the factory the way you want it. The reason for all the surgery on EXPRESS shotguns is that for a while the EXPRESS was not offered with a mag extension.

Hope this helps, Good Luck & Be Safe
Old November 16, 2008, 07:28 PM   #5
Cerick

Get a factory HD model from Budsgunshop.com. Thats where I got my HD 870 and I got a good price on it too. Make sure that if you do, you get one with a threaded barrel for the choke. Some come with unthreaded, chokeless barrels. My 870 Desert Tac Recon came with a choke, but the less expensive Tactical 870's dont! I didnt even know that b4 I bought mine but I'm glad as I also use my 870 as a hunting gun so a change of the choke, and removal of the mag extension makes it a good bird gun.