The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old November 29, 2008, 03:34 AM   #26
arcticap

This shows how to make charcoal for black powder:

http://cid-ba8d17d301aebc5c.skydrive...20for%20BP.pdf

This shows how to make homemade black powder:

http://cid-ba8d17d301aebc5c.skydrive...lackPowder.pdf

On Monday, 11/24/08, I bought the last pound of American Pioneer Powder fffg at my local Cabela's for $13.66 plus tax, plus I saved an additional $2.70 by using a store discount coupon. That was cheapest price that I ever bought it for, even before using the coupon.
I was also surprised to see that the APP ffg cost $16+ dollars at Cabela's compared to the APP fffg. It's been selling for $18 - $20 at the gunshows around here.

Last edited by arcticap; November 29, 2008 at 03:54 AM.
Old November 29, 2008, 05:52 AM   #27
darkgael

BP pdf

Checked the Making BP link. It IS informative. It is NOT black powder as it can be purchased commercially. It is commonly called Brown or Green powder. It will work but is not nearly as efficient as commercial BP.
The biggest difference comes in the way that the powder mix is combined and corned. There is a detailed description of the process at the beginning of one (can't remember which) of the BP load manuals. The process of milling is done with a ball mill over a lengthy period. This is followed by another lengthy period of combination or incorporation lasting many hours and involving considerable pressure, See this link: http://books.google.com/books?id=Ykc...result#PPA3,M1
Pte
Old November 29, 2008, 06:28 AM   #28
shortwave

Went into Wally World the other day. Triple seven $28.57, Pyrodex $18.67. Thats crzy for both but I`m sure T7 doesn`t cost that much more to make than Pyrodex. The dreaded raping,greed of supply and demand.Glad I have plenty. For all you newbies out there that have to pay this premium price cause you`re just starting out and don`t have any powder, make sure you go back to Wally World(or your supplier) after m/l season and stock up on same powder for $10-$12.
Old November 29, 2008, 04:49 PM   #29
arcticap

Not too many Walmarts even carry BP guns & supplies around here anymore. Everyone just wishes they could always buy powder at Walmart's lowest clearance prices, but sometimes the prices only get reduced incrementally over a period of time and then everyone wants to stock up once the price bottoms out.
Well this Kansas outfit below sells Pyrodex for $12.20, 777 for $17.70 (listed under Hodgdon) and the new Blackhorn 209 for $25.98 (listed under Accurate Arms).
They also sell CCI percussion caps.
Cabela's sells Blackhorn 209 for over $36.

Hazemat fee is $20 per package but:

Quote:
WE CAN COMBINE UP TO 48 LBS. OF POWDER AND PRIMERS UNDER ONE HAZMAT TO SAVE YOU MONEY.

TOLL FREE - 800.227.4299
http://www.powdervalleyinc.com/index.html

Last edited by arcticap; November 30, 2008 at 01:51 AM.
Old November 29, 2008, 05:36 PM   #30
long rider

I live in mesa in az, and i have not seen any wally world
that stock any muzzleloaders let alone powder, but then
again waltmart is the home of cheap goods.
Old November 29, 2008, 09:00 PM   #31
karwelis

heres the link to my site where the pdf file is located on how to make black powder, and charcoal. i get the saltpeter and sulfer at the local CVS, and or riteaid

http://kabooom.proboards102.com/inde...=cowboyscorner
Old November 29, 2008, 09:04 PM   #32
karwelis

hey arcticap, nice hijack of the pdf files that belong to cowboy cs. the proper link to them is in my above post
Old November 30, 2008, 07:10 AM   #33
DKA

I use 777 FFFG, but friend of mine has been testing Black Horn 209. He says that it burns cleaner, but cost more, not much difference in performance.
Old November 30, 2008, 08:46 AM   #34
darkgael

BP

I'm impressed. That second pdf about homemade BP - using the ball mill - is much more thorough than the "green mix" pdf. He seems to know what he's doing - though the "big guys" mill the mix wet - and the end product, unglazed, looks pretty good to the eye.
I wonder how well (clean/dirty) it burns.
The procedures that I am familiar with are at: http://www.wfvisser.dds.nl/EN/bp_making_EN.html
Pete
Old November 30, 2008, 08:49 AM   #35
shortwave

Thanks for Kansas connection Articap. For comparison sake on the W/World prices, went to local shooting range last night- T7, Shockey`s Gold and Goex @ $21+change, Pyrodex@$18+change. W/World cut way back on the stores carrying m/l and acces.`s here also but a few still do and its worth keeping an eye on.