The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old November 15, 2008, 04:44 PM   #1
Z-TURK

Trying to fing 22 mag cylinder for unknown revlovler.

it says rg ind. miami florida. the barrel is made in germany .22 magnum. it has 22lr cylinder and im looking for 22 mag cylinder. any suggestions? single action revolver. my camera really sucks. i would like to know what kind of gun it is and how old. condition is in 75-80%.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PICT0175.jpg (195.9 KB, 380 views)
File Type: jpg PICT0176.jpg (247.9 KB, 216 views)
Old November 15, 2008, 05:21 PM   #2
DMZX

It looks like a RG 66 Super Single Action, which came with a .22LR and a .22 Mag cylinder.

It probably dates back to the 1970's and, like most RG's, has little value (<$50). They were not known for their quality.

The best place to find RG's is a municipal gun buy backs. Looking for a .22 Mag cylinder may be a futile waste of time.

Have you fired it? If so, is it at all accurate?
Old November 15, 2008, 05:35 PM   #3
James K
Staff

Those guns were not, to be charitable, of the best quality. Frames were often of cast zinc, not steel. If the gun works OK with .22 LR, good, but I would not count on it holding up to .22 Magnum. Shoot the gun as long as it keeps going, but don't waste time or money trying to get the .22 WMR cylinder or trying to fix the gun when (not if) it goes bad.

Jim
Old November 16, 2008, 05:36 PM   #4
Z-TURK

Thanks jim. i was wondering if you know if the brand is rg? i never heard of them if it is. i paid $80 at a pawn shop for it. it works very well and yes it fires ok to me. i do maintenance on my guns every outing. i was also wondering about a beretta model 51 semi-auto. i was looking to get one from a guy. looking to see how much it is worth and what kind of problems they had. the original issue beretta 92's had issues at around 30,000 rounds. thanks again looking forward to your feedback.
Old November 16, 2008, 06:59 PM   #5
VHinch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z-TURK
i was wondering if you know if the brand is rg? i never heard of them if it is. i paid $80 at a pawn shop for it.
Yes, it's an RG. RG Industries was an importer of cheap cast-zinc revolvers made by Rohm Gmbh in Germany. They went out of business in the mid-80's. RG's one infamous footnote in history is that it was an RG-14 .22 short that John Hinckley used in his failed assassination attempt of President Reagan. It was during that same assassination attempt that Press Secretary James Brady was wounded and paralyzed, ultimately leading to the passage of the Brady Bill. I see them regularly at pawn shops and gunshows around here for anywhere from $35-50. At $80 I'd say you got taken.

Quote:
i was also wondering about a beretta model 51 semi-auto.
The Beretta model 1951, also known as the Brigadier is a single stack, single action 9mm that was Beretta's first locked breech semi-auto, and ultimately the precursor to the 92. Same basic operating system as the 92. Original 1951's have some interest on the collector's market, but little to none as shooter, as they are simply an outdated weapon with few if any replacement parts available. The Beretta licensed Maadi Helwans are much more widely found, usually with a price tag in the low to mid 200's. If you're looking for something to carry or even shoot regularly, I'd strongly suggest looking elsewhere.

Quote:
the original issue beretta 92's had issues at around 30,000 rounds.
Beretta 92's, like most semi-autos, do need some routine maintenance when they get up over 20-25k in round count, but generally all that is needed is a locking block replacement. The gun does not magically disintegrate at 30,000 rounds. I have a 92 Elite with right at 30k through it, it's had a spring change every 2500 rounds, and it got a new locking block at around 20k. No other issues, and this was an IDPA gun that has been run hard.
Old November 16, 2008, 07:17 PM   #6
Z-TURK

very helpful thank you VHinch.
Old November 16, 2008, 10:26 PM   #7
Z-TURK

so no one knows how much a beretta model 51c would be worth at 85-90%. no problems in the 50 rounds i put through it.
Old November 16, 2008, 10:35 PM   #8
VHinch

Double check your model designation. 51c doesn't jive. I'm assuming you mean a 1951, but there was no c designation, at least not that I've ever seen or heard of.
Old November 16, 2008, 11:02 PM   #9
Z-TURK

yeah sorry 1951 beretta no c
Old November 17, 2008, 08:28 AM   #10
VHinch

The 1951's don't pop up for sale here all that often. I know of one for sale right now, probably 80% condition with an asking price of $450, but it's been for sale at that price for a while. When a 95% or better shows up with correct box, etc, they can bring almost double that. Be sure the one you are looking at is a Beretta, not a Helwan. The Helwans are licensed copies of the 1951 manufactured for the Egyptian army. The show up much more frequently than the 1951's do, and usually sell in the low $200's.
Old November 17, 2008, 12:10 PM   #11
Z-TURK

again VHinch very helpful.
+1
Old December 21, 2009, 05:11 PM   #12
SidecarKenn

22 Magnum Cylinder For your 22 Single Action

First of all ,while RG IS KNOWN GENERALLY for crappy little CHEAP GUNS they made SOME PRETTY GOOD ONES ALSO !! YOURS IS ONE OF THEM !!
Yours has an ALUMINUM FRAME ,NOT ZINC !!! THE INTERNALS ACTUALLY LAST LONGER than the Single ACTION Colt 22s . I have 7 of those and the Cylinder hands & the Triggers wear and the Cylinder Stop ( or bolt)/Trigger leaf Spring Combination ARE BRITTLE & BREAK ALL THE TIME (about EVERY 3500 Rounds!!).
The RG Madel 66 was Also known as the Rohm and while many Gun VALUE BOOKS list them CHEAP or NOT AT ALL and ALL OF THESE "GUN EXPERTS " seem to have an AXE TO GRIND AGAINST RG , I WOULD CHALLENGE THEM TO BRING THIER COLT SCOUT , FRONTIER SCOUT & 22 PEACEMAKER for a shoot out!! The kind where we shoot THOUSANDS OF ROUNDS AT TARGETS (NOT AT EACH OTHER !!! ) . I am from Texas and the last 4 years lived in NEW MEXICO and I have owned 5 RG 66s and since the RG 66 is made with COIL SPRINGS ( like the RUGER ) it is kind of a secret amoungst us guys who traips the Hills , Plains, Rugged Brush Country, Mountains ,etc,... as while not worth ANY WHERE AS MUCH as our COLTs & RUGER which we ALL HAVE , it is as DEPENABLE as the RUGER ( I HAVE PROBABLY put 50,000 Rounds through my 3 RGs that I still have and I bought them ALL USED and a Couple in DEPLORABLE CONDITION & HAVE NEVER HAD A FAILURE!! AT LEAST 50% of my rounds WERE 22 Magnum at WoodChucks & Prairie Dogs , a few RATTLE SNAKES , JACKRABBITS , Cotton Tails ,ONE DEER in the SIDE OF THE HEAD at 20 Yards WITH a 22 LONG RIFLE SLUG , a BADGER & NO FAILURES!!! )!!!
Drop & Break an RG and you DON'T LOOSE a $500- $800 Gun ( Colt) or a $350-$600 Gun Ruger !!)
I saw about 3 years ago at a Single Action Compition a kid KICK EVERYBODY ELSE'S TAIL WITHTHE VERY MODEL RG that you have !! IT IS ACCURATE !!
Oh yeah The little but Shielded Adjustable Sight on MOST of them DOESN'T get Caught on Clothes, Branches , YOUR HAIR ( I an 54 Years old ,LONG HAIRED old CONSERVATIVE HIPPIE /BIKER/Country Guitar Player ,Farmer & Killer of ALL things FURRY & 4 Footed!! ),etc....!
Now back to YOUR 22 MAGNUM CYLINDER PROBLEM !! THEY DON'T hardly EXIST!! I have 4 , but ONLY 3 GUNS!! ALL of the PRICES at Numrich Gun Parts etc,.. list them at $22.50 or some LOW PRICE that was the LAST PRICE WHEN THEY WENT OUT OF STOCK ON THEM 15 YEARS AGO !! I SELL CYLINDERS AT GUN SHOWS and have gotten as little as $50 for an so-so RG Magnum Cylinder to $150 for a NEW ,OLD STOCK one!! MOST GUYS PROTEST & WHINE that that is what they PAYED for the Gun OR MORE !! I HAVE a NEW ,OLD STOCK ,NEVER FIRED CHROMED ONE that doesn't even have any Drag line around it ( even though I have Tried it in ALL my Guns & SEVERAL at Gun Shows to show buyers that the RGs ALWAYS TIME PERFECTLY and on EACH CHAMBER with a 22 Cleaning Rod ). My Wife got Transferred to Maryland , so here I am where the GENERAL PUBLIC has let COMMIE KENNEDY TYPES take AWAY THEIR GUN RIGHTS & I was about to put this on Gunbroker.com ( a GREAT SITE !! ), where SOMETIMES you WILL SEE these GO FOR $125 - $250 !!!
If you are interested in my Cylinder you can CALL me at 443-500-3392 or email me at SidecarKenn@yahoo.com Oh yeah, all you NAY-SAYERS who DON'T LIKE RG model 66s , JUST KEEP IT TO YOURSELF !! YOU KNOW SQUAT !! I DON'T HAVE TIME TO ARGUE WITH AN IGNORANT OPPONENT !! SidecarKenn
Old December 21, 2009, 09:05 PM   #13
absolute0

Thank you SIDECARKEN. Now a word from our sponsor BORAX CLEAN AND SHEEN...makes your gun shoot straighter and your whites whiter for ONLY PENNIES A DAY.

Some Sh%#ty Colt or Ruger Single Six DOESN'T STAND A CHANCE in a shootin' contest with an RG so just SEND YOUR DOUGH TO ME ASAP.

mmm'kay?
Old December 22, 2009, 12:33 AM   #14
Uncle Buck

Geez Sidecarken,
Why don't you tell us how you really feel? And while your at it, please, feel free to take the cap locks off and use a few paragraph breaks.

You sound like you really know this gun, very well. It would be interesting to get your opinion on it with-out name calling others. You could become an asset to this forum, but please, write nicely and clearly.

Uncle Buck

P.S. - I miss Texas also.
Old December 22, 2009, 06:34 AM   #15
w_houle

Yeesh... Sounds like someone seriously boiled SidecarKenn's water.
Don't worry too much about the opinions around here, as the metal that an RG is made from will be the source of derision for the foreseeable future, and not even the Walther (Umarex) P-22 is immune.
Old December 22, 2009, 08:33 AM   #16
w_houle

I read through the description again and notice it's an RG Ind. and has German made parts. That makes it a Post '68 made gun. Now I don't know if any frames were actually made in Germany, or in Florida, or some variations of partial cast there and finished here, but I have experienced variations in parts for Rohm GmbH and RG Ind. Fla., and think it's <U>part</U> of why gunsmiths don't want to mess with them.
Old December 22, 2009, 09:28 AM   #17
woad_yurt

About RG et al:

RG made guns of differing quality, from "they're ok" to pure crap. Some of their stuff was for recreational shooting, like this one, and was of much nicer construction. I met a guy with a RG/RG-type .357 and it was a great shooter.

On the other hand, some of their guns were only good for pocket-stuffing and six foot accuracy for the lowest possible price.

This guy's gun is one of the better ones.
Old December 22, 2009, 09:46 AM   #18
kraigwy

Z-Turk

Quote:
it has 22lr cylinder and im looking for 22 mag cylinder. any suggestions?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I read this as you have the RG revolver in 22 already and you are looking for the 22 mag cylinder.

If thats the case, I think I have one in my parts bin. I will check this afternoon to see. If so I will get back with you this afternoon.

I'm pretty sure its the one you need, if it is I'll have you PM me with you address and I'll send it to you. If it fits fine, if it dosnt toss it.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old December 22, 2009, 06:22 PM   #19
PetahW

Hey, be kind -

SidecarKenn might be THE world's premier RG collector !