The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 15, 2008, 02:50 PM   #1
dv0042

New shotgun owner...got some questions

Hi all...I recently purchased my first shotgun (any gun for that matter), a Mossberg 590SP (12 gauge)with the full barrel length magazine (8+1) and ghost ring sights, and a 20" barrel. I bought it primarily as a home defense weapon. My question is can this gun be used to shoot skeet effectively or am I wasting my time? I'd like to take it to a local range to get some instruction and get familiar with it. Am I gonna hit anything with a 20" barrel, or am I kidding myself?

I have fired shotguns before, but not since I was 13 or 14 in the Boy Scouts...couldn't tell you what kind of gun it was...probably a 20 gauge.
Old November 15, 2008, 03:10 PM   #2
zippy13

Welcome aboard, dv0042
"My question is can this gun be used to shoot skeet effectively or am I wasting my time?"
Not effectively, the ghost ring sights will block your view of the targets. Sure, you can give Skeet a try to familiarize yourself with the new gun. Don't get frustrated if you can't keep up with the other newbies shooting more appropriate guns.

Last edited by zippy13; November 15, 2008 at 03:46 PM. Reason: ICT4S
Old November 15, 2008, 03:40 PM   #3
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Ideal? Heck, no. Shoot it anyway. A defense tool, shotgun or not, needs to be totally known to the user.

Shoot it until it feels like a body part......
Old November 15, 2008, 03:56 PM   #4
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

How are the GR sights attached? If easily removed I would at least remove the rear section for shooting clays... Heck for me I would want just a front bead or at worst the blade type but likely ground down some. I would personaly, YMMV, not want anything but the bead for home sefense as well as hunting, or clays. You will find that a shotgun is most effective when pointed rather than aimed. The reason, IMHO, that law enforcement has gone to rifle sights on shotguns is that officers are trained with pistols and/or rifles mostly so for them to feel confident with the shot gun they give them something they are familiar with...
A very effective training practice method is to use an empty gun and find a spot on a wall, now close your eyes, take the gun from a passive position and raise to shoulder and mount, now open your eyes and see how close you are to "aimed". Once you perfect this you have a good idea of what you will be doing in a skeet, bird, moving animal or home defense situation. Good luck with the new gun...
BTW, This is just the opinion of a simple redneck shotgun lover... not a pro shooter...
Brent
Old November 15, 2008, 04:06 PM   #5
New_Pollution1086

skeet might be a little tuff.

set up water filled milk jugs out at 25 and 50 yards, blast away. or take 20 oz coke bottles and hand throw em.

both are good times

T
- T. Boone Pickens

Last edited by New_Pollution1086; November 15, 2008 at 04:42 PM. Reason: haha hogdog
Old November 15, 2008, 04:11 PM   #6
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

pollution, Where can I find them "mile jugs" and is that how far they fly when hit? I saw the word mile and jug and at first glance thought you were tellin' the feller to hike it out a mile to shoot it
Brent
Old November 15, 2008, 04:17 PM   #7
Ricky B

A 20" barrel is obviously not ideal for skeet but you would not necessarily be wasting your time. With the ghost rings, however, I personally wouldn't bother with skeet. Trap might be more feasible.

You might want to consider buying another barrel that is longer and has a bead sight and a rib so you could use the gun for skeet or trap or sporting clays.

If you want to use your 20" barrel, be aware that many trap, skeet, and sporting clays fields will not allow barrels shorter than 26". Call ahead first and find out if your short barrel will be allowed.
Old November 15, 2008, 05:03 PM   #8
dv0042

Thanks for the responses guys...

As far as other barrels are concerned, does anyone know if the 590SP can accomodate other length barrels? Mine has the 8 round magazine...I was under the impression that my options were somewhat limited for this reason.

Thanks again.
Old November 15, 2008, 05:43 PM   #9
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Somewhat limited yes... In fact I see no barrels for you in the Mossberg catalog...
Brent
Old November 17, 2008, 02:07 PM   #10
Vergeltung

@DV0042: I bought the same model shotgun a few weeks ago. Just get yourself some shells and get down to the range, and like some others have said, just practive running some shells through it.

I am getting pretty accurate with slugs in the 50-75 yard range. BTW, I got it for largely the same reasons you did, some home defense and some shooting-range recreation.

there are some great videos of the 590 in action on youtube. just search and you'll find them. good luck & enjoy!!
Old November 17, 2008, 03:16 PM   #11
dv0042

"@DV0042: I bought the same model shotgun a few weeks ago. Just get yourself some shells and get down to the range, and like some others have said, just practive running some shells through it.

I am getting pretty accurate with slugs in the 50-75 yard range. BTW, I got it for largely the same reasons you did, some home defense and some shooting-range recreation."

Hey Vergeltung...just got back from the range. The 590 is a really nice weapon, and definitely has some kick with the slugs! Not too punishing, but you certainly have to lean into it. I'm somewhat out of practice. This was the first time I fired a shotgun in about 20 years. I put 40 rounds through her...several different loads. She seems to like the Federal Power Shock 2 3/4" 12 GA rifled slugs and Brenneke KO 12GA 2 3/4" slugs...the box says sabot slugs, but they don't really look it and they are for either smooth or rifled barrels. This load is a little smokey, but I had the best results at 25 yds (the limit at the range I went to) with these.
Old November 17, 2008, 03:22 PM   #12
Vergeltung

glad to hear it man!! yeah, when I last went to the range it was so nice out I only had a thin shirt on (the Sunday after the election, had to be 55 degrees F here in the Northeast), and I got some serious bruising.

think I went through 25-30 shells altogether with the 590. nothing but slugs, 3" as well as 2 3/4". was hella fun, but, I needed a rest so we went off to shoot my brothers Colt M4. that .223 sure felt easier on the arm.

last time I shot (before I got this Mossberg) was about the same as you, when I was a kid in 1974. Shooting skeet with the "outdoorsman" neighbor we had. heh.

Last edited by Vergeltung; November 17, 2008 at 03:23 PM. Reason: clarification
Old November 18, 2008, 12:53 AM   #13
zippy13

dv0042
Quote:
As far as other barrels are concerned, does anyone know if the 590SP can accomodate other length barrels? Mine has the 8 round magazine...I was under the impression that my options were somewhat limited for this reason.
Yep, your 590 lacks the flexibility of a standard Mosberg 500. It has a special length magazine and a special barrel to accommodate the long mag. Check the recent archives to see about modifying your gun's mag to accept standard Mossberg barrels.