The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 14, 2008, 10:32 PM   #1
gak

Low dollar O/U 16 ga ideas?

Have been on other TFL forums for awhile, but am new to the Shotgun chapter here. Thinking of getting a "nice" O/U 16. My definition of nice is nicely finished and reliable (single trigger) but "affordable."

I like the (seemingly stellar) value of Remington/Spartan and its other-brand siblings--and find nothing wrong with their pedestrian (to some) manuacturing locales/heritage in terms of mechanical quality. It's just too plain/cheap wood and overall presentation for me--at least the ones I've happened across. While you don't sense you're holding junk, neither are you fooled into thinking -- for very long -- that you've spent that much more than you did. Don't get me wrong, I don't need (or necessarily want) fancy or flourishment (and certainly can't afford much of that anyway)--just something a little more special.

I also admit to wanting my cake and.... regarding price in a similar range -- let's say at least sub-$1,000. Obviously I more than likely am talking used here--and that's more than fine with me--maybe even preferred. I can always appreciate something with a bit of use-history...as long as it isn't abuse-history. I also value elegance and "slimness" - which go hand-in-hand to me, and which a lot of the guns I've looked at lack.

AND, I lean (more) toward blue'd/dark receivers vs the "silver" treatment--though am not entirely averse to the latter if it's the right package overall. Any ideas?
Old November 15, 2008, 12:45 PM   #2
zippy13

Getting a nice O/U under $1,000 is an ambitious endeavor. Finding one in 16-ga approaches the impossible. You mentioned the Remington/Spartan, it's not available in 16-ga. nor are most of the popular O/Us. An exception if the Plain-Jane Stoeger Condor (MSRP $400); but, I doubt it will meet your definition of nice. Are you steadfast in your requirement for a 16-ga?
Old November 15, 2008, 01:40 PM   #3
WIN71

Used Citori
Old November 15, 2008, 05:18 PM   #4
gak

Thanks for the reply. Regarding:
Quote:
You mentioned the Remington/Spartan, it's not available in 16-ga. nor are most of the popular O/Us.
Remington at least DID have it available in the Spartan...must've discontinued.
My definition of "nice" I'm sure in this crowd is a bit skewed. I guess what I was driving at was good mechanicals and at least presentable metal - but with decent wood...but nothing stellar (expcted). Yes I know, my sub $1,000 criteria is a (near?) killer! Used Citori and the odd/occasional older Red Label maybe?
Old November 15, 2008, 10:07 PM   #5
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

You may find a Marlin 90 in 16 someplace. Decent O/U, but pre WWII.

Used Euro guns, including bringbacks, turn up from time to time.

Sorry, can't help much on this one.
Old November 16, 2008, 05:54 PM   #6
oneounceload

There are Browning 525's in 16 out there, but not for 1000 - more like 1500, and when they're gone, they won't be back
Old November 16, 2008, 11:06 PM   #7
publius

Don't think Ruger ever offered the Red label in 16?
Old November 17, 2008, 02:12 PM   #8
BigJimP

From time to time, Browning has offered a Citori "Sweet 16" to the market - but they keep dropping it because it doesn't sell very well. But I still see one occasionally for sale - so you just have to look around. Some of them were marketed for "ladies" - with shorter stocks, etc - with more of a European look and feel vs the traditional Browning Citori field guns (now called the Lightning series ).

The 16 was very popular in the 40's and 50's - but to my knowledge it was never picked up in competition ( where in Skeet, Sporting Clays - there are still competitions for 12, 20, 28ga's and .410 ). I still have a 16ga in my safe / its an old bolt action Westernfield from my youth ...

The other issue on a 16ga - is you're going to pay at least $ 10 a box for shells - vs half that for 12 or 20ga. These days, balistically, you can make a 12ga or a 20ga with 1 oz of shot, perform like a 16ga, even if you don't reload with the variety of shotshells on the market these days.

Not that you shouldn't buy whatever you want - but I'd seriously consider a 12 or 20ga instead - and you'll have a lot more options on styles, sizes, etc.
Old November 17, 2008, 04:10 PM   #9
Waterengineer

OK, here is your gun

gak:

If I was you this is what I would do. Not too many of these around. Sell something, pawn something, steal something. Do this deal.

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=158194

- Craig
Old November 17, 2008, 05:41 PM   #10
BigJimP

I see about 10 of them on GunsAmerica site - 3 or 4 from dealers - about $ 1,800 new in box. There are a couple of high grade ones too / and a 525 version.

$ 1350 is probably a good deal -depending on condition / $ 1700 - $ 1800 new is about right.

Personally, I'd feel better if I could hold it in my hands if I were you, before I bought it, but maybe one of those dealers is near enough to you to visit them.

Good clean ones, but used, I see around - are probably worth $ 1,000 -
$ 1,500 .
Old November 17, 2008, 09:40 PM   #11
gak

Thanks all for the replies thus far. I have 20s and 12s and 16s - shot them for many years, the latter mostly Ithaca pump, single shot and older side by side. Not a newbie to any of them; not an expert either--don't shoot enough for that. I appreciate the thoughts on 12s, etc., been there done that....16s just always been my favorite for twenty five years or so, especially when found in their own discreet frame (vs 12 etc.). I like .32 H&R Mags and .44 Specials too -- so I always seem to have to make it hard!! Will look at that Lightning. I'd be lying if I said I didn't gravitate more toward that quality, though for budget reasons I also might consider a Rem Spartan (Baikal) (discontinued in 16 this past year or so) and if the wood/finish bothers me enough, refinish it. Once opened up, they're not bad and seem durable enough.
Old November 17, 2008, 09:55 PM   #12
Death from Afar

I can understand the attraction of the 16 gauge- but please remember the cost and avalibility of the crackers will bring tears to your eyes.
Old November 18, 2008, 01:27 PM   #13
gak

Quote:
I can understand the attraction of the 16 gauge- but please remember the cost and avalibility of the crackers will bring tears to your eyes.
One of the reasons I don't want to over-spend on the gun itself in the first place/intend to shoot and carry it around w/o worrying about baby'ing a pricey heirloom-quality piece - if it's just a shooter (though again admitting I'd like at least a little charm to go along with it...may have to add that myself!)