The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old November 10, 2008, 05:51 AM   #1
God's_blessings2all

Best handgun for home/personal protection?

Greetings all, I'm seeking opinions for a reliable handgun, prefer a semi auto. Reckon old recommendations stay with me, as it was what my 'dad' told me long ago would be best. Sadly, I've not kept up with all the different models and makes over the years. I was considering a .380 Cobra, but upon reading about them jamming, etc. I'm looking for other recommendations. Was even considering a tactical shotgun. I will be looking for a firing range where I live and see if they rent handguns. Am trying to stay away from those with heavy recoil as my wrist is not strong enough for the bigger bores, although I don't want to sacrifice stopping power. Thanks in advance for any and all input. This would be the first handgun I've had in awhile, I was raised around guns. I do want something that is reliable. You definitely don't want a gun to jam when you need it the most.
Old November 10, 2008, 06:04 AM   #2
Ruthless4christ

welcome to the board friend, since you say you were raised with guns i say get a glock. It is very reliable, and easy to use. the 9mm should not kick too much and will offer you anuf ammo in the mag to deal with any problems you may run into. good luck

Last edited by Ruthless4christ; November 10, 2008 at 06:16 AM.
Old November 10, 2008, 06:07 AM   #3
evan1293

Welcome to the forum! I would say for a hangun, try to stay with the top four cartriges (9mm, .40 s&w, .45, and .357 mag.) As you said, recoil may be an issue for you so I'd recommend a 9mm loaded with hollow points.

There are many different types of guns that are well known for superb reliability, accuracy, and durability. Check out guns from glock, HK, sig, beretta, smith and wesson and springfield armory. There are others as well. Find out what fits your needs / your hand size the best and go with that.

A 12 gauge shotgun would be a fine choice as well.
Old November 10, 2008, 06:19 AM   #4
Ruthless4christ

if you really have some sort of injury or condition that makes you want to keep pressure off your wrist you can always fit out your glock with one of these...

http://entertainment.webshots.com/ph...45382563RZasqV
Old November 10, 2008, 06:21 AM   #5
God's_blessings2all

Thanks so much for the suggestions.

Yes, this would be my first actually purchase, or I should say it'd be the first one I've done without my 'dad's' input. He's been gone for awhile. I've shot shotguns, rifles and handguns. I was fishing and shooting by the time I was 8 or before. Never actually did the leg work that's involved on getting the right gun. It's a new experience for me, not sure what the hubby thinks about all this. He is used to the larger guns. I do plan on getting my ccw as well. I figure it's better to get it now than to need it later and not be able to get one.

My right wrist is weak enough that I have to wear a hard brace when going bowling or golfing. My swing sends the balls multi lanes/fairways over. It's only with intense concentration I can keep it from going out of alignment. I'll have to find a way to strengthen it.
Old November 10, 2008, 06:25 AM   #6
tomgun

ccw

if this would be a carry gun a s&w lite weight m&p 340 in 357 (38spl).
for in home sd a xd 45 w thmb saftey.
Old November 10, 2008, 06:33 AM   #7
Ruthless4christ

there are all kinds of wrist and grip excersises you can use to build up streangth in your wrist in a pretty short time period(4 weeks or so) check out youtube for videos or ask any trainer.
Old November 10, 2008, 06:36 AM   #8
tomgun

springfield emp

this weapon weighs 23oz..9+1 9mm. and u can stay

Last edited by tomgun; November 11, 2008 at 06:26 AM.
Old November 10, 2008, 06:48 AM   #9
God's_blessings2all

Don't want to kick myself out.

Thanks for the tips about the exercises. I'll have to ask my physical therapist this week about it. Didn't think of it till now.
Old November 10, 2008, 07:17 AM   #10
bcarver

considering you wrist

I am going to suggest a revolver alittle bigger than I wound for normal concealed carry. Ruger gp-100 or smith&wesson 686 or 66 with a three inch barrel. Set of Hogue finger groove grips. box of .38 specials
Old November 10, 2008, 07:25 AM   #11
Keltyke

Go to a range that rents guns, or find some friends who have guns. Shoot several, in different calibers. The one that fits your hand like a glove and that you're accurate with, and that is totally reliable (by reputation) is the one you want.

Stay away from "off brands". This is for protecting your life. You don't need a $1500 Kimber, but you don't want a $250 Cobra, either. You can get quality and reliability in the $400-$600 range.

If you have wrist problems, stay away from (in general) .357, .357 SIG, .40 S&W, and .45 ACP. Stay away from smaller, lighter guns. The felt recoil will usually be more.

Good Luck!
Old November 10, 2008, 07:28 AM   #12
Tank Hank Kor

You have the same matter like me when I have the first idea to choose the best handgun for home or personal protection. Walther PPK380 was the first one I chose then CZ75B 9mm.

Could not beleive that three mounths later I think they are not what I want and the one I want is only 1911 with .45ACP however that I have spent a lot of money for PPK and CZ already.

Many friends of mine told me as the same words that when you start to interesting in gun you will got it more and more and you will never know how to stop it.

So I 100% agree with evan1293 and I think his recomend is the best. try to find out what is the best for you before you spend some monney for guns.
Old November 10, 2008, 08:18 AM   #13
Officer's Match

I think the Smith & Wesson M&P9 (9mm) is one of the softest recoiling modern semiauto's out. Can easily be fitted with Crimson Trace laser unit which is an excellent training aid to improve your shooting. Here's a link to Crimson Trace that shows the M&P with a laser:
http://www2007.crimsontrace.com/Home...5/Default.aspx
Old November 10, 2008, 08:19 AM   #14
hdawson228

Take a look at the Springfield XD 9mm or the equivalent S&W M&P 9mm and of course a Glock in 9. Be carefull, since many on the boards find the Glock grip angle to be unnatural and awkward. Personally, I couldn't be happier with my SA XD9. Modest recoil, reliable and accurate. And not expensive.

Go to a range that rents guns and try them all.
Old November 10, 2008, 08:29 AM   #15
woad_yurt

For reliability and comfortable recoil, I have two suggestions, a .38SPL K-frame S&W (plain ol' Model 10?) or a Makarov. They're both very mangeable and will definitely turn someone's good day into a very bad one. And, for reliability, they're hard to match.

I have both and, personally, I like the revolver by the bed as it's a but more pointable, a big plus when in the dark having just been roused from a deep sleep.

On the other hand, if you prefer semi-autos, Maks in 9x18 (the gun, not the caliber*) are great guns. DA/SA with a hammer safety that works when the thumb safety is in fire mode. Just pull the trigger and it will fire and feed.

When I've brought non-shooters to the range with me, the Mak and my ol' Wolverine are the two guns that they find the most enjoyable and get the best results with. Maks are really accurate, simple, reliable user-friendly pistols. Very carry-able, too, if you want go CCW.

* I say this because some folks call any 9x18 Com Bloc pistol a "Makarov."
Old November 10, 2008, 08:40 AM   #16
Father Time

Im with Woad Yurt. A Makarov or a medium sized revolver with .38's is exactly what popped into my head when reading the first post.
Old November 10, 2008, 09:37 AM   #17
God's_blessings2all

Thanks to all

Thanks to all of you with your ideas. There's alot of info to digest. Reckon I've got my work cut out for me. Then again, anything worth doing is worth doing the right way. Thanks again.
Old November 10, 2008, 09:41 AM   #18
Smaug

How about a nice Glock 17. Revolver reliable, pretty light recoil, and good stopping power with modern hollowpoint ammo.

If you like old school, a basic Colt or Springfield Armory 1911 would be a good choice, but will kick more than a 9mm like the aforementioned Glock. There are dozens of good choices.

Revolvers are out, due to the recoil being so much more than autos for the same power level.
Old November 10, 2008, 11:55 AM   #19
Laserlips

JMOfartO:

Well, what works for one person is not necessarily best for another, but after over 50 years of firearms ownership I can tell you MY choices for home defense/personal protection.

For home defense I prefer an all steel S&W 5906 which offers a 15+1 capacity, absolute reliability, and with the addition of a Crimson Trace Lasergrip, awesome accuracy.

As with any firearm you expect to use in defense of your life RELIABILITY is Job 1... Third Generation Smiths excel in this area.

Additionally for home defense, I have a Ruger Security-Six 357mag. revolver that I bought new in the early 1970's.. The Security-Six rests in the nightstand on my wife's side of the bed.. She likes it, and the 357 round is excellent...

For personal protection & concealed carry I depend on a smaller firearm, (S&W CS9 , J-frame Smith, but generally just a Seecamp LWS32)..

Plenty of other options, these are just my favorites..

Best Wishes,

Jesse

P.S. Two more suggestions.. Try and hold and fire whatever guns you are interested in for personal protection, and don't forget nuttin' beat's a 12ga pump shotgun when you want the best in home protection.

Old November 10, 2008, 12:00 PM   #20
ƒORTE

Quote:
Revolvers are out, due to the recoil being so much more than autos for the same power level.
I agree w/ Smaug.

Go to the GunShop and HOLD the ones you like. Do not let the GS workers make recommendations. I think(based on your post above) that you're a woman and it is common for them to throw a .38 revolver into your hands as a result. Do not be pushed around by these morons, pick what you want. Try to rent the models selected at your local indoor firing range. Some great makes are Glock, Kahr, Hk, Springfield Armory, and Ruger. I would bet you pick a 9mm in some capacity due to your wrist situation, but in.45s a lighter recoil is possible in 1911 models. Good luck and it may behoove you to check out www.corneredcat.com

Last edited by ƒORTE; November 10, 2008 at 12:40 PM.
Old November 10, 2008, 12:45 PM   #21
Old Gaffer

Greetings, and Welcome to the Board!

You'll get lots of good advice here, so the only thing I'll add is to check out the "Women and Guns" board for a more female-centric point of view http://womenandguns.servertalk.in/wo...s-forum-1.html

The only down side (from a newbie perspective) about W&G is that you're expected to bring cookies when you first show up - I like chocolate chip cookies, myself - though brownies area always welcome

Also check out the Cornered Cat website, another popular stomping ground for women shooters http://www.corneredcat.com/

All the best,
Rob
Old November 10, 2008, 09:02 PM   #22
God's_blessings2all

Many thanks to all

Thank you so very much for all the suggestions. Bad news is that there is no firing/shooting range in the local area. There's a place north of us to go shoot, just no where to rent handguns presently. Who'd thought it, being out west
Yes, as a woman I'm still leaning toward getting a shotgun for home protection as we live in an apartment. It'll definitely stop someone coming through the door, which will probably be best as I'll not have to be concerned about overpenetration into the other apartment across the hall.
After looking at all the recommendations, I like the SA EMP, the S&W M&P 9mm. and I like the glocks, just out of my price range at this time. What are you all's thoughts about the Bersa .380 for a ccw? Hubby stopped by a gunshop and it was a recommendation of them and a state police.
I can see where the crimson laser would be deter someone. As long as they are in their right mind.
Again, thanks to everyone for the recommendations.
Old November 10, 2008, 09:25 PM   #23
Keltyke

The Bersa Thunder is a fine little gun. I enjoy shooting mine a lot and it's remarkably easy to carry concealed. Mine has never jammed or had any FTE/FTF issues. It's very accurate. The recoil is minimal. It has a hammer-drop safety with a first round DA pull followed by all others in SA. There's also the option of carrying it "cocked and locked".

There are many who will say the .380 is too puny for a PD weapon, but none of them have volunteered to line up to take a shot from one to prove that. ANY gun is better than none.

Shotguns? Good HD weapons, but some kick like a mule. I did see a nice little tactical-type pistol grip .410 pump the other day. Just right for those who can't handle the kick from a big, booming 12 ga.
Old November 10, 2008, 09:31 PM   #24
IdahoG36

Quote:
Best handgun for home/personal protection?
You just asked the million answer question. You are going to get a ton of different answers to this question. There is no "BEST". Get out there and shoot some pistols. Find the one that fits your needs. That will therefore be the "BEST" choice.

The only question that gets more responses, and can get quite heated, is "Which caliber is best for self defense?"
Hk 45C, Hk VP9 9mm, Hk P30S 9mm, Walther PPQ M2 Navy SD 9mm, Walther PPS 9mm, Beretta 21A Bobcat, Spreewerke CYQ P38, Ruger LCP .380, S&W 360 SC .357 Mag, Patriot Ordnance P415, Patriot Ordnance P308, Kel Tec KSG 12ga, Swiss K31 7.5X55, BNZ 42 K98, Mosin Nagant M91/30 1934 Tula, Ruger 10/22 50th anniversary design contest rifle, Tikka T3 CTR
Old November 10, 2008, 09:57 PM   #25
dabigguns357

I am going to tell you what my wife tells me all the time.Try them all,my wife and i don't have a rental gun range near us either so we had to kinda rely on friends for all our loner guns.After a couple of weeks of going out on our weekend shooting dates,she finaly found what she really liked.I will not tell you by any means what you should get or need but my wife(91 pounds) loves her snubbie .357.We use 110 gr fed hydra-shok low recoil .38 rounds in all of our revolvers for around the house.Heavier snubbies tend to have less recoil.the biggest reason she likes her revolver is it goes bang x 6,no pulling slides or jamming.She can't pull back the slide very good on any one of the semi's i own.As her confidence grew she started firing my bigger guns like my sig 239,but it's not her taste.The most important piece of advice i can give you is to look at guns like you would a vegetable,if you don't try it then how do you know weather or not you will like it.Have loads of fun shootin and welcome to the forum.