The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old November 9, 2008, 09:01 PM   #1
ffffg

how to hold 1911 properly

I was shooting a new to me m1911a 80 series .45 today, and all seemed ok except my grip with two hands shooting off a pad was giving me different impacts or so it seems............ I was using winchester 230 grain red lettering on white box ammo. groups were about 4 1/2 inches at 25 yards and it seems it would shoot better if i got a better grip with it.. What is a good standard reload for these guns with good defence power that shoots well?. ... I would like to use non holow point bullets or simular to ball ammo.. It had no malfunctions so im good there.. Im used to .45 long colt and they dont give me this much accuracy problems.,, and seem to shoot better than this .45 auto..but i know how to hold them... ... thanks dave..
Old November 9, 2008, 09:04 PM   #2
zoomie

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k2...pexcerpts1.flv

Like that.
Old November 10, 2008, 01:40 AM   #3
Majic

Quote:
Like that.
Unless you use a Weaver stance.
Question to the OP. When shooting off the rest do you place the gun or hands on the rest or rest the wrists/arms? If your 1911 is not a tight accurized pistol then a 4.5 inch group at 25 yards isn't all that bad. You may be asking more of the pistol than it can deliver.
Old November 10, 2008, 07:19 PM   #4
CzCasull

I've seen many opinions on how to hold a pistol, weather it's a 1911 or a Glock.

In my opinion it's best to of course follow rules- such as where to hold the firearm.. but also best to hold it in a way that fits you the shooter.
The man in the video says not to squeeze the grip tight. . but I find that if I squeeze it real good I can shoot more accurately and keep the recoil controlled much better.

Practice to me is also a big deal in finding the best grip naturally.
Old November 10, 2008, 07:29 PM   #5
Ruthless4christ

GREAT VIDEO zoomie, i kept waiting for the man to say something i did not agree with but then the video stopped. sure wish i had that man around when i started shooting semi autos, would have kept me from wasting a heck of alot of ammo.
Old November 10, 2008, 07:34 PM   #6
Tom2

Try a 230 grain bullet and a nominal manual listed load of something like Bulleseye, Red Dot, Unique, Winchester ball like 231, etc. that is noted in the manual to duplicate factory MV or so. Loading it less than 750 fps or so would be a waste, as well as trying to hot rod it over 900. If you have a smooth barrel that does not attract leading buildup, one of the 230 weight LRN bullets could be a little cheaper to shoot. It might not shoot as good as your revolvers unless you have things tightened up a little for accuracy work, like match barrel and NM bushing hand fit by a gunsmith, not drop ins. Tightening the slide or other refinements beyond a decent combat trigger pull are getting into more expensive territory and not worth it unless you are gonna build an all out match gun or something. Or if your factory barrel is decent quality, just tightening up the fit and the NM bushing might help some.
Old November 10, 2008, 07:44 PM   #7
HorseSoldier

Quote:
Unless you use a Weaver stance.
I've been told the Weaver grip has some things to recommend it for revolver use, but does anyone still teach or advocate it for semi-auto use? Both at my last military unit, and at any of the civilian shooting classes I've attended, it would have been considered bad technique by the trainers.
Old November 10, 2008, 09:21 PM   #8
Majic

There is no bad stance. If you are comfortable with it then it can work for you. Also no stance is specific to a certain type of handgun. What works for you using a revolver also works using a semi-auto. Those teaching the isoceles stance use that stance, but the weaver stance is a viable alternative if you are comfortable with it. I think the weaver allows you to handle recoil better which may be why it's recommended for revolvers. Try both and see what works for you the best. Instructors generally frown on you doing something different from them but that doesn't make it wrong. Back when I was shooting a lot an instructor was touting the virtues of the isoceles stance to me even though I outshoot him using the weaver stance.
Old November 10, 2008, 09:35 PM   #9
KyJim

To expand on the video Zoomie linked to, also take a look at a great video from champion shooter Todd Jarrett at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysa50-plo48.

I have to modify this grip a bit because my hands are small and getting my thumb over the safety just doesn't work for me. I normally place the thumb of my strong hand just under the safety with plenty of room to put the weak hand and thumb in place.

I used a modified Weaver stance for a long time. It has some advantages over and above shooting -- like presenting a smaller profile to the bad guy. However, I eventually went back to the isosceles stance with the grip described above because I shoot better with it.
Jim's Rules of Carry: 1. Any gun is better than no gun. 2. A gun that is reliable is better than a gun that is not. 3. A hole in the right place is better than a hole in the wrong place. 4. A bigger hole is a better hole.