The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old November 8, 2008, 08:53 PM   #1
roebuckga

Mossberg 4x4, is it crap?

So i am in the market for a new rifle. I have a pretty low price range at about the 400-500 dollar range. I have looked around a bit and have come to like the mossberg 4x4 with synthetic stock. I finally went ahead and ordered one a few weeks ago. It took just over 2 weeks to finally get it, which i thought was a bit much, but needless to say it finally came. I went to the dealer to pick up the rifle and found out that the bolt release lever was broken or missing a screw. I disassembled the gun and found out the release lever screw snapped clear off in the gun. I immediately sent the gun back. I gave it another try thinking the first one was was a shipping issue. This time i went to another local place and he managed to get one in the next day. As my luck goes, it had the exact same thing wrong with it. I sent it back also and the shop owner ordered me another one that will arrive next week. I know mossberg has a good rep for their shotguns, but i obviously dont have a good outlook on the quality of their rifles. If anyone has anything that they can share, maybe similar problems with their products or maybe some positive reassurance before this 3rd rifle comes in and i tell mossberg where they can put it. please feel free to share!
Old November 8, 2008, 08:58 PM   #2
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

I don't like the sounds of that... I am interested in a bolt rifle and the Mossberg ATR is on a short list of affordable rifles.
Brent
Old November 8, 2008, 09:36 PM   #3
Hemicuda

Personally, I don't much care for their shotguns either, and I own an 835 Ulti-Mag...

they all seem like they are built cheraply... the best Mossberg 500 still feels cheap when you rack it... compared to a steel-action Remington 870 or Ithaca Mod. 37

gun and car collector.
Rare cars, and rarer guns.
Old November 8, 2008, 09:42 PM   #4
natjohnb

I have been happy with my Stevens 200 (Savage), basically a Savage 110 without the AccuTrigger. Paid less than $300 new.
Old November 8, 2008, 10:25 PM   #5
elkman06

Wow, No dis intended but I keep hearing about rifles in the 4-500 range that may or may not be good. For the same money, SPllll Warehouse sells Tikka T3s'. I know the quality of the rifle, know the accuracy and just can't imagine spending the same money on a Stevens/Mossberg, etc. They may be fine rifles but bang for the buck I think people are missing the quality of the Finn rifle. Last I checked, T3 lites ran $480.
elkman06

"Better to be tried by 12 than carried by 6"
Old November 9, 2008, 12:19 AM   #6
Antihero47

I own a Mossberg 100 ATR, picked it up 2 months ago. The 4x4 is pretty much the ATR with a different stock. My rifle works great, been able to shoot sub MOA with it pretty much at will.

The only issue that I have is when I placed a bipod on the plastic pin for the sling, and i tightened it soo tight that it actually snapped. I purchased a new stock and painted the old one. I'm going to get screw in swivel and just tap it. Should work great, also I'm going to put some weight into the hollow parts of the stock to get it a little heavier for target shooting.

Hang in there bud.
Old November 9, 2008, 12:30 AM   #7
j.chappell

I'll ask since no one else did....why on earth would you even order another one? I would have said the heck with it and bought a Savage, Howa, or Weatherby Vanguard. You would have been buying a proven firearm from a reputable Maker in any of the above.

J.
Old November 9, 2008, 06:05 AM   #8
DIXIEDOG

I would go with a Savage / Stevens in that price range, you aren't going to beat them for out of the box accuracy. I've never heard of a bad one, I'm sure it's happened but I never heard of anyone receiving one that wasn't ready to go out of the box. I don't care for the looks of the Savage as much alot of other bolt guns but the targets shot by them are hard to argue with.
Old November 9, 2008, 09:00 AM   #9
kristop64089

I looked at 1 Mossberg rifle, and never looked back. I saw the sling studs formed into the stock, and made up my mind at that. Plus the action was less than impressive.

I was searching for a gun in that range as well, and it came down to 2 choices for me the Tikka T3, or Howa 1500. I decided on the Howa for 2 reasons:
- Because I was shooting 300 winmag, I opted for the heavier gun
- It was a proven action in a reliable gun(Weatherby Vanguard)

I picked my Howa 300wm up (with scope) for $387nib. The scope is less than impressive but VERY clear/sharp. But the stock is a Hogue overmold, and feels quite "right". I will give a range report later today.

If I were in your shoes, I would cut my losses now, and order a different gun. Not sure what the attraction to the Mossberg is for ya, IMO time to move on.
Old November 9, 2008, 10:33 AM   #10
Stillhunter

could you have gotten the same gun? did you check the sn#? I,ve got an ATR 270,it shoots just fine,but it,s down to a 2 shot,if i load a third the jam is sure to follow.
Old November 10, 2008, 05:48 PM   #11
tuffteddyb

I would also go with the savage ,awesome accuracy and cheap to buy,didnt like the feel of the vanguard personally,but never heard nothing bad about them,where did you people get the howa,s?.I had one before and cant find em up here anymore.
Old November 10, 2008, 05:54 PM   #12
j.chappell

tuffteddyb,

You like the Howa but not the Vanguard? You do know that they are the same firearm right?

What was it that you didnt like about the Vanguard, was it the stock?

J.
Old November 13, 2008, 11:51 PM   #13
roebuckga

Well thanks for the info guys. I am sure it wasnt the same rifle because the first one was still on its way back to montana when the second one came in. But i have since received the 3rd! rifle. It did come good out of the box and so far with handling it and upon a close inspection seems to be in good shape for a low priced rifle. I still have not shot it though. I will be taking it out this weekend to site it in. Lets hope i dont get any fun surprises like stray shots or anything like that. Ill keep you guys posted once i shoot it to let you know if i really am the most unlucky mossberg consumer out there.
Old November 14, 2008, 12:14 AM   #14
jpwilly

My ATR is a just fine for what I paid but wouldn't consider the 4x4. Get a Savage if you want to spend a little more.
Old November 15, 2008, 12:15 PM   #15
jtedescucci

"antihero..."

Antihero, for what it's worth I just recently had issues with swivel sling mounts also - and here's how I fixed it: I have this old Marlin 782 22WMR given to me by a friend & it had the swivel sling mounts held on with 3/4" wood screws. They looked pretty but wouldn't stay in; they kept unscrewing themselves. So I figured that a long screw (SS) completely thru the stock & secured with a "nylock" hexnut would work better. I did just that. Wasn't difficult because I had a friend help hold while drilling. OF COURSE the "thru holes" must be counterbored for the locking nut & to clear for the barrel up front & my rt cheek at the rear. I plan to also tap the buttstock & insert a brass plug to help with weatherproofing. But all during the process I had to keep reminding myself: "This is a working gun, not a show piece." And when it's finally finished I plan to shoot the heck out of it AND ENJOY IT.

FredT
Old November 15, 2008, 03:36 PM   #16
Antihero47

jtedescucci

Yeah, I wound up buying a screw in swivel, drilled a 5/32" hole through the stock, and found some would that I shaped in perfectly to fit down where the hole was, drilled it there too, not too thick. I then epoxyed the screw and drove it home through the stock and into the wood. Its rock solid now.
Old November 15, 2008, 05:50 PM   #17
eastbank

wallmart sold rem 700 adl,s with syn stocks for 323.00 out the door with a rem factory rebate earier this year, a friend bought a 308 and it shoots as well as my 550.00 308 rem 700 bdl with wood stock. eastbank.
Old November 26, 2008, 07:11 PM   #18
roebuckga

finally shot it

I finally got to get out and fire a few rounds through the 4x4. I borrowed a friends bore sighter to begin to sight it in. With no other tweaking i was putting 4 rounds within an inch at 50 yards consistantly. I know its only 50 yards but im not gonna tell you im the best shot in the world. The trigger pull is a little strange to me. It seems to be a little heavy but with a little practice and after 15 rounds i put the 16th round (hornady 165 grain) dead center. So the next day i took it to the woods and attempted to get a deer, but of course i didnt see a damn thing except a fox squirrel. But i do have to say some of my confidence is back in the gun. I cant say im fully confident due to the fact ive only put minimal ammo through it, so i guess time will tell.
On another note, at one point i read that the design of the stock was supposed to flex to reduce the recoil and make it comparable to a wood stock. I will go ahead and call BS on that one because compared to my friends 30-06 FNH wood stock this thing kicks like a mule. To me thats not bad because if i need more than one shot i should prob consider a new hobby, but to those that are curious, beware of the scope eye.
Old November 26, 2008, 10:08 PM   #19
ken22250

i like the mossberg 500, and 835, but am leary about their rifles, have been since the early accuracy problems to the 100 ATR, the best remington shotgun i have ever used is my 1960 vintage 870 wingmaster, a truly exelent shotgun, i have a new 870 express super mag, and its not very good, i would trade it in on a mossberg 500 any day, still my personal favorite is the 1897 or M12 winchester, 2 of the best shotguns ever made in my opinion
ken
Old July 10, 2009, 07:50 PM   #20
Rifleman777

My 4x4 experience

I bought a 4x4 6/12/09 after reading good things about it and seeing that it had and adjustable trigger that adjusted down to two pounds as advertised by the Mossberg website. I had decided to get model 26455 and wrote this number down directly from the Mossberg website and the local store ordered it. It arrived for pickup on 7/3/09 exactly as described except it had no adjustable trigger. First I sent mossberg an email and they never replied so i called them. Their customer service was terrible as they took down my name and number and said a supervisor would call me three times and they never did. FRUSTRATING!!! Finally the fourth time I called they put me on hold for 10mins to talk to a supervisor after the lady that answered the phone said he could send me a new trigger so I had hope. When he got on the phone he informed me that I had gotten a 2008 model that does not come with an adjustable trigger but rather only the 2009 models come with the adjustable trigger. He also said the item number did not change after they changed the gun's features and that they couldn't help me. IMO this is false advertisement I ordered a gun with a specific model number and got something different. On top of that Mossberg wouldn't fix the problem. I would definitely NOT BUY THIS GUN AGAIN!!! go with a Savage for about the same price and you will actually get what you paid for.
Old July 10, 2009, 08:08 PM   #21
banditt007

Honestly, all i've read about these mossberg rifles at other websites is bad! This was when they first released them but even so. I wish a few more people would check into the new centerfire line from marlin. The ONE review i read was very positive. I'm not sure the cost but i know it was very cheap. There is also Stevens which is basically a savage w/o the accu-trigger. And of course you could consider the H&R single shot rifle. Has to be the cheapest of the bunch and i've read good things including a free lightening of the trigger from the factory. I have their shotgun and it is very well built, so solid ect ect. And the price is just a bonus!

I wish you luck with it, and hope it gives you years of trouble free service but if it does become a lemon i'd check into the other options myself and others have suggested.

PS: Some states have deer season NOW? I'm from the north east and it is winter seasons only. starting in November. Though i am unsure of the regulations concerning 'crop damage' permits.
Old July 11, 2009, 08:34 AM   #22
moosemike

I've heard alot of bad things about Mossberg bolt rifles. There are alot of firing pin problems too.
Old July 11, 2009, 10:01 AM   #23
jmr40

Like everyone I have rifles that I like better than others, but there are 2 that I would never recommend. The Remington 710/770 and the Mossberg. For the life of me I simply cannot find anything to like about either.

There are far better chioces for about the same money or even less if you buy used. I could spend a couple of hours visiting pawn shops and looking through the used gun racks locally and find 20-30 used rifles that would be much better choices for around $300
Old July 11, 2009, 11:30 AM   #24
OJ

I bought a Mossberg 464 lever rifle 30-30 - magazine holds six (6) rounds - extractor failed before one magazine full was fired. Sent it to their "repair" which is in Texas - not even in the same state as the factory and got it back in about six weeks.

Started to load it when the screw holding the front stock in place broke. Local stores/gunsmiths didn't have a screw that fit so we contacted the repair facility - who wanted me to return it to them. I convinced them - with some difficulty - I had a screwdriver and could just replace the broken one if they would just send it to me.

Finally got the screw and tried loading it again but, it wouldn't load and unload a full magazine without malfunction.

Reported this on the lever gun forum and the same type experiences were numerous - one reported the extractor failed on the first round.

Review of Gun Digests from the mid 1990s revealed they had produced some half dozen or so 30-30 lever guns that somehow didn't make it for long - the 464 lever 30-30 was advertised as a new venture for Mossberg - clearly a flagrant lie. It was reviewed in several gun "rags" including NRA Rifleman (which I had tended to hold to a higher standard - again WRONG) - all reporting it to be a great gun!!

Now I have a rifle I wouldn't sell or even give away - knowing what I'd think of someone who I'd received the rifle from. It's junk!! Worse than that, I'd invested a fair sum for XS ghost ring sights the reside on that piece of junk before receiving the rifle - have to call it "tuition" - I guess.

It's been said the school of hard knocks differs from formal education in that you get the test first, then the lesson.

When I returned it the first time to my long time friend and dealer, he informed me that Mossberg had produced a new shotgun and they couldn't get enough firing pins to replace the ones in the new gun that failed - eventually, the "repair" facility just sent them out by the handful.

Mossberg is #1 on my s___ list and I will never consider one again !!

:barf:
NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Last edited by OJ; July 11, 2009 at 12:18 PM.
Old July 11, 2009, 12:12 PM   #25
ELMOUSMC

I don't own a Mossberg rifle but I do have a couple of their shotgun and they both have given me many years of great service.A young lad down the hollow from me bought a Mossberg ATR in 243 last year he put a cheapo BSA scope on it and has used it to clean out most of the ground hogs in this part of the county not to mention feral cats,coyotes and a pack of wild dogs that were roaming this area.I have more than a little experince with guns and I agree with those who said there are a lot better guns out there but this young lad is more than pleased with his mossberg and uses the hell out of it with no complaints that I have heard