Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old November 9, 2008, 06:36 AM   #26
sureshots

Good Neighboros

The tree could be A legal matter
Old November 9, 2008, 06:37 AM   #27
sureshots

Good Neighboros

I wouldn't call these people NEIGHBORS. They are just people whose lands join. Neighbors don't cut each others trees.
Old November 9, 2008, 05:01 PM   #28
fisherman66

Quote:
there is this thing called a safety zone. don't shoot towards it or carry a loaded firearm/knocked arrow within it, 450' of property line
Rem870, what state do you live in? or is this a municipality ruling?
Old November 9, 2008, 09:26 PM   #29
rem870hunter

i'm in NJ its a state thing only i guess. i thought that it was a federal thing,until you asked that question. unless you have on your person written permission to hunt within the 450' area of a property line,dwelling. i doubt very much that anyone could get permission to hunt that close to a school or playground. even if you could i would not.

i have a horsepen 75' to the right of my property, to the left a small field with a house practically on the property line of the field. the house on the left is within 450'. across the street from the house on the left is another house. they have a horsepen too. i can sit on my front porch and see horses and cows right at the fence sometimes,if they get that close. i have woodchucks come in between my line and the horsepen. i have permission to shoot them when i can. i don't dare shoot towards the other 2 houses or properties. the dwellers of the 2 houses on the left know i shoot the woodchucks and also know i don't/won't shoot towards there side. i told them i would not. so i won't.
Old November 10, 2008, 08:54 AM   #30
fisherman66

I was on a dove lease last year had near a 100 acre field that butted up against a school. We were very careful to respect the property line near where the football stadium stood. We gave that structure a good 50 yard berth if we wanted to work that side of the field. Our shot would only go away from that property line.

Yesterday I build a ground blind ON a fence line. He hog wallow is UNDER the fence. We felt this one required giving the neighbor a heads up.
Old November 10, 2008, 02:59 PM   #31
SWMAGMAN

W.C.Quantrill...

Quote:
As much as I detest bowhunters,
Any particular reason for this smear? Glad you have met them all, so you can legitimately make such a well-thought-out statement.:barf:
Old November 10, 2008, 05:00 PM   #32
heyduke

Quote:
Any particular reason for this smear? Glad you have met them all, so you can legitimately make such a well-thought-out statement.
Thinking the same thing.

Honestly, haven't met a bowhunter yet that litters or thinks they have a god given right to hunt on someone elses property without asking for permission first. Can't say the same thing about other hunters
Old November 10, 2008, 05:01 PM   #33
sureshots

Detest Bowhunters???????

I don't know why anyone would DETEST Bowhunters. I know lots of GOOD GUYS who happen to be Bowhunters. I,m one of them myself.
Old November 10, 2008, 05:10 PM   #34
FrontSight

His neighbor had EVERY RIGHT in the world to put up the tree stand, and your friend had NO RIGHTin the world to go onto his property and cut it down.

What your friend did is just disgusting.
Old November 10, 2008, 06:16 PM   #35
RedneckFur

Stuff like what your freind did is what gives hunters and gun owners a bad name.

I know what its like to have people hunt near my property line, but as long as they dont cross over it, I'm fine with it.
Old November 10, 2008, 06:57 PM   #36
guntotin_fool

re cutting the tree down, if he had cut my tree down, he would be in jail for it. I do mean jail, criminal damage to property as well as disturbing a legal tree stand and hunter harassment are jail term kind of things around here...

RE bowhunters. I used to work with several, and I lost respect for them,

When they routinely shot deer at late dusk, and after a 4 minute "search" decided the mosquitoes were too thick to continue the search, and the deer was just weasel bait.....

When the latest rage is shooting BIG bucks in velvet, before they can mate and pass on the genes.

When they post stands in bird hunting areas, and put up nothing orange and insist on head to toe camo, but then sue some young kid who tries to shoot a grouse on the wing and a few pellets hit the bow hunter.....Deer can't see colors, the only thing head to toe camo does is cost the hunter more money. I have blaze orange with a pattern of black lines on it, Last deer season I had two does and a small buck walk up with in spitting distance to me when I was just sitting on a camp chair, They knew something was there but until I said Hello deer, they had no idea.

If bow hunters consider a wounded deer to be the use of their tag, to skip velvet bucks until after they breed, or to start wearing orange, I say not on my land.
Old November 10, 2008, 07:06 PM   #37
fisherman66

In all fairness, you've just described a number of rifle hunters I know. I share your disdain for slob hunters. They are in all weapon ranks, not just bow. I'd consider your "polling sample" unrepresentative.
Old November 10, 2008, 07:49 PM   #38
heyduke

Quote:
I share your disdain for slob hunters
Being a "rifle" hunter from my youth until now, where I only bowhunt for deer, I agree with your comment 110%.

Quote:
I'd consider your "polling sample" unrepresentative
Right on the money!
Old November 11, 2008, 05:11 PM   #39
shortwave

With the opinionated responses to some peoples style of hunting being posted(that are clearly off topic) this thread is going to 'hell in a handbasket'. No decent hunter likes a slob hunter of any kind and there are alot of them using all weapons to do it. Most poached deer around this neck of the woods, found with their racks cut off are usually shot with a rifle. At any-rate back on topic. Neigbor two farms over just had to pay his adjoining neighbor $1700 for two Black Walnut trees accidently cut off property when he was having a select cut done. Loggers got over property line. The price that was paid was dirt cheap but was in agreement between parties. Cutting or damaging someones trees can get expensive real fast.
Old November 15, 2008, 08:06 PM   #40
orionengnr

Okay, back on topic...

Quote:
He has gotten married within the last year, so maybe that will help keep him under control.
Or maybe he'll get shot next year while cutting someone else's tree, and that will cure him of his impulsive actions (and prevent him from passing on his genes)
Old November 15, 2008, 08:21 PM   #41
Brian Pfleuger
Staff

The entire property that we hunt is 14 acres. "Crowding the line" as it's called is pretty well unavoidable with 3 or 4 hunters when the lines are only 150 yards apart. Our neighbor has probably 200 acres available to him and he routinely hunts within 50 yards of our line. Too bad for us. Too bad for him to when we hunt near the line. Oddly, when we see each other we wave and exchange pleasantries without a hint of animosity.

If my neighbor came on my property and cut a tree for ANY reason I'd call the police and/or sue him. That's trespassing and destruction of property. I think that in NY the secondary crime makes the trespassing a more severe charge.
-The Architect
-----
He is no fool who gives what he can not keep to gain what he can not lose.
-Jim Eliott, paraphrasing Philip Henry.
Old November 15, 2008, 09:48 PM   #42
rem870hunter

i've hunted with bow and arrow years ago. working heavily at the time of year the season starts forced me to stop. family time became more important as well. i do miss bowhunting, i still have my bow, etc. would not sell or trade any of it for the world. last time i hunted with it my 9 yr. old was still in diapers.
Old November 17, 2008, 01:48 AM   #43
Jseime

I would say that your friend is in the wrong here man.

He should have left well enough alone, went home called up his neighbour and just asked about it instead of jumping the gun like that. The neighbour has probably been out scouting and working on a big animal and he has gotten to know its habits and was preparing a surprise for it right after it crossed onto his property.

Where I come from all the neighbours get along just fine... no one even has to ask to go onto another farmers land. You can hunt wherever you like and no one gets offended.

Its just a matter of being neighbourly and friendly... if you do things like go onto a guys land and cut down his tree with his treestand that he bulit with his spare time and effort you make enemies. Pi$$ing off all of your neighbours turns you into an isolated flinty eyed militiaman. Pretty soon you are walking around with a tinfoil hat on talking to yourself and acting like Dale Gribble because you made everyone mad and they dont talk to you anymore.
Old November 19, 2008, 08:14 PM   #44
AUG

I think your buddy should be arrested. Dumbazzed crap like that gets people shot.
Old November 24, 2008, 07:53 PM   #45
summerman

hunter set up on me once.

I was hunting in a stand on the border of a field that had been hunted by our party for over 15 years. I climb up look behind me and see a bow hunter 30 years behind me. (this is the same guy we had to take down his stands and leave notes on them when they were 300 yards up on our property. I got the tax maps and showed him the old fence lines and survey stakes, after a while he agreed we knew the boundaries. ) that's another story.

continuing on... I walked over to him and whispered hey, whats up as to not ruin our hunt. He came down and I said, "I know this is your property but we've been hunting out of that stand on ours for years and your 30 yards away. Did you have to set up right on top of me?" He got a little grumpy and said ok I'll move it and started to put his bow away. I said, Whoa whoa... it's about 4:00.. magic hour so keep it there and lets hunt here and now the deer will be comming anytime... if you move it down there.. that would be appreciated but don't do it now and ruin both our hunts." We bothed hunted next to each other, a week later he moved it to where I suggested, which I knew to be a better spot.

We have since spoken again several times and no problems. He has a narrow 2-3 acre swath of land below where we hunt between us and the lake and cottages, its too small to hunt really but there are a lot of deer that go through that area. He later moved it again down 400 yards or so close to one of our other stands but we don't hunt it when he's there as we could be shooting at the same deer. We wouldn't like him to hunt there at all as it makes us move but it's his land and he has no other place to go on his land.. All in all we worked it out. We aren't friends but we have been cordial and it's working. Moral to the story... stay calm, talk it out, there are lots of deer none are worth the trouble to get mad about.
Old November 24, 2008, 11:27 PM   #46
guntotin_fool

Summer man you got more patience than I would have. Its called tresspassing and after the first couple of times, I would start to get his attention formally.
Old November 25, 2008, 03:52 AM   #47
troy_mclure

when i was growing up we had hunting neighbors on 3 sides of our land, within 2 weeksof moving in we had permission to hunt their land if they could hunt ours. so we went from a 5 acre area to a 26 acre area.

i dont know why people are so uptite over people hunting near their land.
There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time."
Old November 25, 2008, 10:17 PM   #48
dmented692006

if the guy had the tree stand on his own property then your buddy is ignorant. simple and plain. the guy was fully within his rights to hunt his own property. now if the tree was on your buddies property then it would be kind of funny.
Old November 25, 2008, 11:47 PM   #49
vytoland

So my buddy cut the tree down that day

your buddy may be one of the many nuts roaming around untethered........but you can bring him and his new dominant freind a fried balony sandwich on visitor day.
Old November 26, 2008, 12:13 AM   #50
onthejon55

this happened to my uncle once. he lives in one of the most rednck areas of indiana so he decide to get the guy back. he erected a treestand about 30 yrds away from the the other guys stand on his own side of the property line. on opening morning he came to his stand about 15 min after the sun came up wearing plenty of orange and making as much noise as possible. he then proceeded to cough as loudly as possible for the next 2 hours. he came back that evening and the other hunter and his stand were gone. problem solved