The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old November 6, 2008, 12:57 PM   #1
L'derry

Recommended Ammo for Bersa .380?

Hi,

I'm new to this forum. I've been a rifle shooter for a while, but new to handguns.

I'd appreciate any info regarding ammo for the Bersa Thunder .380 that I just bought. Has anyone one found a brand or load that they like the best for this gun? Anything you have found that jams in this gun too easily?

Thanks for any info you have!
Old November 6, 2008, 01:32 PM   #2
Keltyke

This gun doesn't jam easily. Hard to find .380 PD ammo. I use Corbon 90 gr. JHP in mine when I carry it, which isn't often.
Old November 6, 2008, 02:04 PM   #3
propex

Try Bersatalk.com has lots of information about ammo, holsters and tech talk for Bersas about 4300 members
Old November 6, 2008, 02:28 PM   #4
DAdams

BERSA

One of the nice things about the BERSA Thunder is its ability to digest and spit out everything I have ever put through it and that has been everything from COR BON, Speer Gold Dot, Remington Golden Saber, Remingtion Green Box, Winchester White Box, and budget stuff from the range el cheapo choice of the day.

I have mine stoked with Remington Golden Saber 102 gr as we speak. I also like the Speer Gold Dots. at 90gr.
Old November 6, 2008, 03:31 PM   #5
L'derry

Bersa .380 Ammo

The reviews on the Bersa here in this forum indicated that it wasn't very fussy about loads. As a matter of fact, the forum has been quite informative. I've been reading everything related to the .380 for a couple of weeks before I bought this gun. Great group of shooters here, so I registered.

I'll give a few different loads a try to see if one shoots more accurately than any other, although I guess it's not like trying to hit a deer's heart at 100 yards.

Also, thanks for the tip on the bersatalk.com site.

Thanks for all your responses.
Old November 6, 2008, 04:19 PM   #6
funon1

Base selection on reliability and performance

Wile all FMJ will work and most Hps work in the Bersa too, you want to think about terminal performance, too given the diminuative size and ballistics of the average .380 out of a Bersa.

The loads that I like for both reliablility and performance are as follows in the order of my preference starting with the very best

Buffalo Bore Ammunition 380 ACP +P 90 Grain Speer Gold Dot Jacketed Hollow Point

Cor-Bon DPX Ammunition 380 ACP 80 Grain Barnes XPB Lead-Free Box of 20

Remington Golden Saber Ammunition 380 ACP 102 Grain Brass Jacketed Hollow Point

Hornady Custom Ammunition 380 ACP 90 Grain XTP Jacketed Hollow Point

All of these should function well and provide good terminal performance.

Funon1
Old November 6, 2008, 04:26 PM   #7
L'derry

Thanks.

So am I correct that this list starts with your priority for best mix of shock and penetration for the .380?

Sorry, for my ignorance, but I don't know what the HWS or +P means.
Old November 6, 2008, 07:02 PM   #8
tshadow6

Bersa CC

My Bersa CC does not like Fiochi. She loves Remington jhp.
Old November 6, 2008, 07:35 PM   #9
.38Catt

I also like Cor-Bon 90 grn JHP for defense. However nothing beats Remington UMC 88grn JHP for accuracy, at least in my Bersa. In a self defense situation the difference is probably negligable in terms of accuracy (low light, nerves, short distance, etc) so The Cor-Bon gets the nod. However, calmly punching holes in paper, it sure is fun to shoot one ragged hole w/ just a few flyers from the less costly Remington. Cor-bon accuracy is still more than acceptable, just not as tight.

If the Bersa cost a couple hundred more $$$, it would get even more respect, IMO. Marketing, go figure. Enjoy it!

Best,

Catt
Old November 6, 2008, 07:54 PM   #10
rickseiko

A friend has one. His seems to feed any ball ammo just fine. He usually shoots S&B, his own or what he can scrounge from my range bag. HP he has only tried hydra shock and they seem to feed fine. If he were Native American his name would be "Shoots My Ammo."
Old November 7, 2008, 05:45 PM   #11
jtedescucci

Would LOVE to see a picture of the Bersa. (I carry a 380 also, mainly because of size & weight - and based on the belief that NOBODY would really like to get shot with a 380)... THANKS

FredT
Old November 7, 2008, 11:26 PM   #12
funon1

+p ammo means that it is loaded "hotter" than the standard SAAMI oad

Nothing wrong with asking questions. That is how we learn.

Anyhew, here is a good Website. Check them out. I think this will answer some Qs.
http://www.saami.org/

.380s tend to be a bit light on performance. Going to a higher pressure round allows more penetration, expansion or both, depending on specifics. But remember from science class: For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction, i.e., recoil. The heavier, faster the bullet and lighter the gun, the more recoil, blast etc. you will get, all else bein g equal. To +P or not really depends a lot upon the user and intended purpose.

If you are not sure, start with the 102 Gr. Remington or Hornady and then move up to +Ps if you can handle the others. Of course, many find the Remington to be ideal, if it functions in your gun, which they have mine.

In short, do some research, experiment, have fun and then make up your mind.

Funon1
Old November 8, 2008, 04:12 AM   #13
B.N.Real

380 pistol ammo.
Old November 8, 2008, 06:22 PM   #14
Keltyke

Quote:
jtedescucci
Here are the pics you wanted. My Bersa Thunder .380 has the magazine extension. I picked up the nice wood grips from eBay for about $35. They are slightly thicker than the stock plastic grips and make a package for someone with large hands.

Don't worry about the caliber not being enough for PD. When it comes down to it, ask any of these "cannon" shooters if they'd line up to take a hit from a .380. I'll bet you won't get too many responses.

The WORST caliber gun to carry for PD is the one left on the dresser because it's too big/too heavy/too hard to conceal/too hard to shoot.

First rule of a gunfight - BRING A GUN!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bersa L.jpg (211.5 KB, 5690 views)
File Type: jpg Bersa R.jpg (235.3 KB, 5676 views)
Old November 8, 2008, 08:20 PM   #15
PointOneSeven

I had trouble with American Eagle in my Bersa. Ran fine in other guns I tried though .

Winchester or Remington UMC both treated me well .
Old November 8, 2008, 09:20 PM   #16
Smaug

My old Bersa 83 jams with Golden Sabers. But it is very old. The newer ones are said to feed anything.

I decided that since it is not going to be the best penetrator to begin with, just to keep it loaded with FMJ and take a pass on the hollow points.

I think you will like the gun. The accuracy is better than one would think from such a small gun & short barrel.
Old November 9, 2008, 04:49 AM   #17
458winshooter

380 ammo

My Bersa has had trouble with S & B and also the Silver Bear.The American Eagle 95gr and Gold Dots feed fine.Accuracy is good for the first clip but as the gun heats up by then it throws them everywhere after that.Not a range gun for prolonged periods of shooting.I saw some load data for reloading some 115 gr and some 124 gr in a loading manual that has me thinking about pulling it back out of the safe to experiment with.I don't spend much time with this gun as my 9mm is cheaper to shoot.(I know that makes me a bad father to it),but as a carry weapon with good ammo it is hard to beat.