The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 2, 2008, 11:36 PM   #1
Turdmucklydunn

Forster CoAx or Redding Ultramag????

I am having a 338-378 Weatherby Magnum custom made and I will not be able to use my old RCBS to reload the ammo. The OAL is 3.753, or something close to that, do not have one of manuels with me. I was told either press would work. I went on line at Cabelas and read all the reviews about the Forster and it seems like a good press. There are no reviews anywhere that I could find on the Redding Ultramag. I am very anal about my OAL, always within 2 1000ths on each round. I am concerned about the Forster producing that kind of accuracy since the dies float in the press. However I have never used one and don't know anyone that has one. I would appreciate any feed back on either press. Thanks
Old November 3, 2008, 12:37 AM   #2
rg1

My Forster Co-Ax has (roughly measured) 4 1/4" between the shellholder and the bottom of die holding area of the frame. My RCBS Big Max has approx. 4 1/2" while my RockChucker has approx. 3 5/8". I'm not familiar with the Redding but the UltraMag is supposed to have 4 3/4 opening and 4 1/8" stroke. The Forster has enough opening to size the big cases but I think you'll find that the long bullets would have to be 1st started up into the seating die before setting the bullet onto the case mouth.
The Forster is a good press. It produces, without hassle, good concentric loaded ammo. Less bullet runout than my other presses. You can't use collet bullet pullers with it and there were issues with long competition seating dies not clearing the press handle mechanism. I understand they now have a larger opening that will clear the top of the long seater dies. I saw all the Redding equipment at the NRA Convention and they make quality reloading gear. I've read where some recommend the UltraMag for long cases while some say Forster. While I like my Co-Ax my 2 cents would be to get the UltraMag for your long magnum cases. It'll have more leverage and power sizing cases than the Co-Ax. The Big Boss II should handle your cases and costs less? But if you load a lot of other calibers in rifle and pistol the Co-Ax for it's versatility, quick die changes, and other features would be a good choice.
I'd also ask your press choice question over on the LongRange forum as some of those guys shoot and load some large caliber long cartridges. Hope it's ok to mention another forum?
http://http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/

Last edited by rg1; November 3, 2008 at 05:34 AM.
Old November 3, 2008, 08:19 AM   #3
fourdogs

I've used a Forster for the past 30 years. It's a very versatile easy to use precision press that produces very good concentric rounds with virtually zero run out if you prep everything properly. It's made from good steel, and it's a time tested design. Worth the money.
Old November 7, 2008, 07:22 PM   #4
Turdmucklydunn

Thanks for the advice. I think I will go with the Forster.
Old November 7, 2008, 08:26 PM   #5
BigJakeJ1s

The T-handle, collet type bullet pullers do not work well in the co-ax because the floating die retention lets the die body spin, making it hard to close and open the collet.

However, the Hornady cam-lock, collet type bullet puller uses a toggle lever with an up-down motion that works fine on the co-ax, particularly since you do not completely stroke the handle on the press when using a puller.

OAL issues are almost always due to the seating plug being poorly fitted to the bullet, or to deviations in bullet length from ogive to tip. The floating die retention system would not impact this in the least.

Andy
Old November 9, 2008, 01:35 PM   #6
flashhole

I had a Forster Co-Ax. It is as good a press as there is but I sold it in favor of my Ultramag and now have two on the reloading bench. rg1 hit the nail on the head. You will have to insert the bullet up into the die cavity to get it positioned on top of the brass for seating. I got tired of pinching my fingers during the seating step when loading the 300 Win Mag and sold the Co-Ax. The Ultramag is a great press. If you get one you will not be disappointed.
Old November 9, 2008, 05:06 PM   #7
BigJakeJ1s

Some seating dies have a sliding alignment sleeve that helps align the bullet with the cases neck as the case enters the die. These sleeves also extend below the bottom of the die until the case enters them and starts to push them up into the die along with the case and bullet. The chance of pinched fingers is greatly reduced with these dies, which include Redding Competition series and all Forster and Hornady seating dies. RCBS Competition and Gold Medal series seating dies are of the old Vickerman style, where the bullet is inserted through a window in the side of the die, also reducing the chance of pinching fingers.

Andy
Old November 9, 2008, 10:18 PM   #8
amamnn

For anyone else considering the co-ax--the floating case base is actually a good thing--IF you use Forsters lock rings on your dies. C and O presses actually have more potential to run your cases out of alignment since the holes for the rams and the holes for the dies are not drilled in one operation but two, and not always by the same bit or drill motor. A very informative and eye opening discussion of that very subject can be found on the Corbin website.
Old November 9, 2008, 11:11 PM   #9
mrawesome22

I want a Co-Ax badly. If anybody ever wants to sell one, keep me in mind please.
Old November 10, 2008, 12:14 AM   #10
shepheard

I just got a coax about 3 months ago. Cabella's had one for $209 and I got their super shipper rate of $4.95. I can't say enough great things about this press. I don't see why you couldn't load your rounds on it. I would think they should fit alright. Either press should last you and your kids a lifetime.
Old November 10, 2008, 06:45 AM   #11
VaFisher

If you are serious about making some super accurate ammo then the Forster Co-Ax should be your choice, it's top of the line.