The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 1, 2008, 07:02 PM   #1
BLS700

Choke for Steel Shot

Hi, i'm looking to get an extra full or turkey choke for my Remington 870 express. I went on Remington's website and saw they have new wingmaster chokes that are designed for steel shot and they have a choke for turkey/predator. Since I want this choke for turkey and coyote I thought that just may work. However, I haven't found anywhere selling them. Anyone seen these new chokes? If not who has had good luck with a different kind of choke for this application. I'll be shooting #4 buckshot for coyote. Thanks for any advice
Old November 2, 2008, 05:14 PM   #2
BLS700

actually I should have named this thread differently. The choke I saw on the website was for lead or steel shot. I had always heard you couldn't use steel with a full, extra full, etc type choke. I thought it may be good to have a choke that is a little more versatile. Any suggestions on a good predator choke would be helpful. Thanks
Old November 3, 2008, 04:26 PM   #3
dakotashooter2

You cant use LARGE steel in tight chokes. Lead has the ability to compress and deform when pushed through a tight choke, steel does not and may cause a pressure spike or bulge the barrels. This becomes a bigger problem as shot size increases. The general rule is nothing larger than #2s through a full choke. I had never used a full choke with steel untill this year. I patterned several loads with various chokes in my 20 ga and found no evidence of any problems shooting #2 s or #1's through a full choke (extended). Keep in mind the constiction of any given choke varies from one manufacturer to the next. In looking at various extended chokes I found as much as .01 variation in one particular choke with .005 being the normal "step" to the next choke. in other words one companies full was the next companies modified. Often a choke designated as for steel (marketing tool) is little more than a "lead" choke of lesser constriction.
Old November 3, 2008, 08:48 PM   #4
.357 mag

First, if your shooting yotes and turkeys than why do you need to shoot steel? If you can't shoot lead, than why not hevi-shot?

For turkeys and yotes I shoot the Dead coyote choke from carlsons. www.choketube.com You can't shoot steel threw it but throws great patterns with hevi #5 and 000 lead buck shot. #4 buck will work great to.