The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old October 25, 2008, 04:10 PM   #1
westy

Anyone know of a strange handgun

I am collecting pistols that are strange and in the street sweeper catagory in that they might be banned. So far I have a Thunder five 410 and one in 45/70, some ak pistols, taurus judge 410/45 lc, fn 5.7, kel tec plr-223, mac 10 & 11. Can anyone think of another hand gun that fits into this collection, something that is strange. I live in a state that has no restrictions yet.
Westy
Old October 25, 2008, 05:50 PM   #2
WC145

Gyrojet pistol. It doesn't get any stranger.
Old October 25, 2008, 07:05 PM   #3
LightningJoe

Quote:
Gyrojet pistol. It doesn't get any stranger.

Not really a street-sweeper.
Old October 25, 2008, 08:15 PM   #4
westy

The gyrojet was neat but not very effective at close range. I am hoping someone knows of a current production gun that is not well known but will possibly be banned in the near future.
westy
Old October 25, 2008, 08:20 PM   #5
MrNiceGuy

the FN five seven

they're having a field day complaining that the ammo is "armor piercing"

if allot of people get their wish and that gun is banned, anyone who has one and a stockpile of ammo is going to be sitting on a little gold mine
Old October 25, 2008, 09:48 PM   #6
44 AMP
Staff

Maybe, maybe not

Quote:
if a lot of people get their wish and that gun is banned, anyone who has one and a stockpile of ammo is going to be sitting on a little gold mine
Only if the law allows them to sell it. And then only if someone (in the allowable category) is willing to buy, and buy for the price that would make it a "gold mine".

Now I realize that ther is almost always some collector out there with a pile of cash, but the other side of the coin is that you are just a stroke of the pen away from having your investment turn worthless, and maybe all the way to having to be surrendered (for no compensation) or face jail and fines.

They have allowed banned/restricted weapons that existed at the time of the ban to be kept and sold (under the proper laws, and to the proper people), SO FAR, but there is no guarantee that will be the pattern followed by future laws. Consider England and Australia for examples.
Old October 25, 2008, 10:25 PM   #7
westy

Your right they might make it so no one can even own certain guns. I am not concerned with making money or breaking any laws. I just like tring to figure out which guns they are going to hit.
westy
Old October 25, 2008, 10:26 PM   #8
T. O'Heir

"...anyone who has one..." Not if they're banned. When our rectal orifi made most battle rifles evil and any that were originally built select fire, then stopped issuing permits for them, their values dropped considerably. Ditto for 4" and under revolvers. Some declared evil firearms were confiscated outright.
"...complaining that the ammo is "armor piercing"..." Originally it was. Not anymore though. I forget who, but one of the manufacturers is loading it with regular lead cored bullets. Now it's just expensive.
Old October 25, 2008, 10:43 PM   #9
westy

What are you allowed to own in canada? And are you on the english or french side? just wondering if one side is stricter than the other.
Old October 26, 2008, 12:53 AM   #10
El Paso Joe

I liked the concept behind the MBA Gyrojet - even knew a guy who had one. Problem these days is ammo - even if you can find it, the cost would be way up there. Reload? Not likely...
My vote would be for the Ruger Hawkeye 256 Win Mag pistol. Generally, you do have to reload for it.
Old October 26, 2008, 01:05 AM   #11
copenhagen

Quote:
maybe All The Way To Having To Be Surrendered (for No Compensation) Or Face Jail And Fines.

They Have Allowed Banned/restricted Weapons That Existed At The Time Of The Ban To Be Kept And Sold (under The Proper Laws, And To The Proper People), So Far, But There Is No Guarantee That Will Be The Pattern Followed By Future Laws. Consider England And Australia For Examples.
O U T O F M Y C O L D D E A D H A N D S .
Old October 26, 2008, 05:42 AM   #12
rogertc1

Norinco M77B Pistol
Old October 26, 2008, 05:46 PM   #13
MrNiceGuy

Quote:
Only if the law allows them to sell it. And then only if someone (in the allowable category) is willing to buy, and buy for the price that would make it a "gold mine".
it's just an expression.... hell, by your logic a gold mine isnt even a gold mine... since the government can enact legislation to confiscate your gold... again

Quote:
It was in April 1933 and in his first ''official'' act in office; President Roosevelt declared a banking ''holiday'' and issued the order to confiscate gold. Executive order: By virtue of the authority vested in me by Section 5(B) of The Act of Oct. 6, 1917, as amended by section 2 of the Act of March 9, 1933, in which Congress declared that a serious emergency exists, I as President, do declare that the national emergency still exists; That the continued private hoarding of gold and silver by subjects of the United States poses a grave threat to the peace, equal justice, and well-being of the United States; and that appropriate measures must be taken immediately to protect the interests of our people. ''Therefore, pursuant to the above authority, I hereby proclaim that such gold and silver holdings are prohibited, and that all such coin, bullion or other possessions of gold and silver be tendered within fourteen days to agents of the Government of the United States
and if history has taught us anything... when a gun is banned, the demand skyrockets..... when they outlaw guns, the only people left with guns will be the outlaws... etc etc etc
Old October 26, 2008, 05:56 PM   #14
csmsss

Dardick pistol - arguably weirder than the Gyrojet
Old October 29, 2008, 05:26 PM   #15
B.N.Real

"street sweeper category and they might be banned."

Any semi auto 'handgun' derived from a semi auto rifle format and shooting a rifle caliber cartridgee.

And guns such as the Thompson 'pistol' that has a 100 round drum magazine.

Expect those to be banned from sale to the general public.

And expect extended magazines to be banned from sale as well again.

Any 'handgun' that could classified as a machine pistol i.e. derived fom a machine gun .

You should stock up if you want these types of firearms now if you want them.

Expect all the Brady Bill limitations to be put back in place.

And for substantial tax increases on all handguns,rifles,shotguns and the ammo they fire.

Similar to what big tobacco has been going through for over a decade.
Old October 29, 2008, 06:11 PM   #16
MrNiceGuy

perhaps a calico pistol?

i have one in .22lr that's pretty nifty
100round capacity, that's pretty sure to be outlawed lol

for reference, a gis pic
Old October 29, 2008, 07:28 PM   #17
oneounceload

the 9mm calico, the bushmaster and Olympic arms .223 pistols might fit your bill

http://www.gunblast.com/Bushmaster-Pistol.htm

http://www.impactguns.com/store/OA93P.html

http://world.guns.ru/smg/smg57-e.htm