The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old October 21, 2008, 07:24 PM   #1
P99AS9

Colt Python vs. Colt King Cobra

I've been looking around at Colt Pythons recently but I've decided I don't have the money for one. Then I came across this gun called the Colt King Cobra. It's very similar to the python cosmetically, and it's chambered in the same caliber. One thing that I liked about it is thats it's VERY cheap compared to the Python. Are the King Cobras good quality guns? How do they compare to the Python? Would they be a good alternative to their expensive counterpart? Thanks.
Old October 21, 2008, 09:10 PM   #2
KyJim

The King Cobra is an excellent quality gun and I would not hesitate in buying one. It is not a Python, however. Colt craftsmen put a great deal of labor in hand fitting and finishing Pythons. It has a superior, buttery smooth action and usually a beautiful finish (a few have a matte finish).
Jim's Rules of Carry: 1. Any gun is better than no gun. 2. A gun that is reliable is better than a gun that is not. 3. A hole in the right place is better than a hole in the wrong place. 4. A bigger hole is a better hole.
Old October 21, 2008, 09:44 PM   #3
Jart

I could very well be mistaken but I believe the King Cobra shares lockwork characteristics with the Anaconda and "MK" series, meaning it's nowhere near as fussy as the Python.

It's just me but I'd pay extra for that - getting a Python worked on has taken on epic proportions and, IMHO, it just isn't worth it.

Hand-fitting is only worth a wet slap when those hands remain available, and "Python hands" belong to a bygone era. I'd be all over that KC like a cheap suit.

And, please, let's don't anyone post a link to how Pythons aren't delicate if the post has been written by anyone who's closed their waiting list. A more eloquent argument that they are, in fact, delicate would be hard to find even were I to write the script myself.

Pythons are for looking at. King Cobras are for shooting. IMHO.

The observation that the King Cobra isn't a Python is one I would agree with. However, it's also an observation I would celebrate.
Old October 22, 2008, 05:11 AM   #4
dchi

If you don't shoot DA alot get the King Cobra. If you do alot of DA shooting the python has a way better trigger, Im mean WAY BETTER! The K.C. uses a coil spring and the python uses a leaf spring and is tuned very well. The older ones being much smoother that one produced in the last 10 years.
Old October 22, 2008, 07:43 AM   #5
ZEBRARANGER

Its a very durable and accurate revolver. The only thing I dont like about the KC is that some of the parts like the trigger and hammer are made of sintered metal. Seems to darken a little over time, and gives it a cheap look. The one's I've seen for sale recently seems to be going for $600. and up. If its a good price and in good condition, I'd definitely get it. Mine is one of my most enjoyable range guns.
Old October 22, 2008, 08:05 AM   #6
4V50 Gary
Staff

As mentioned by Jart, King Cobra's lockwork is very much like the S&W. It's easier to work on than the Python action. The Python is very much a late 19th Century early 20th Century action and the Cobra a much newer design (internally).
Old October 22, 2008, 11:02 AM   #7
RickB

A buddy of mine inherited a long, blue KC, and got $300 trade value at a gun store! I didn't really want it, but for $300? It was a very nice piece.
Old October 22, 2008, 11:16 AM   #8
Smaug

I would argue that GP-100s are for shooting, and that Colts (revolvers) in general are for looking at.

While it is true that GP-100 actions don't feel like Pythons from the box, you could buy a a new GP-100 and have it smithed to be VERY NICE for less than the price of a Python.

I have just finished smoothing up the action of my SP-101, which is the same design as the GP-100 & Super Redhawk. It wasn't hard*. Next, I'll order the spring kit to reduce the trigger pull even further, so it will be smooth AND light.

Does anyone have photos of the lockwork of S&W vs. Python vs. King Cobra/Anaconda vs. Ruger? I've never seen the inside of a S&W or Colt.

* = If you join rugerforum.net (see signature) and get 10 posts, you can download the IBOK books for the Ruger revolvers and do this action work yourself, if you are mechanically-inclined. If you do this, you'll see what an awesome design the Ruger DA revolvers have. They just didn't bother to finish them like other companies do.
Old October 22, 2008, 11:53 AM   #9
Stiofan

I remember getting my GP-100 a year or two after they were first released. They were a great gun going for hundreds less than the Python, but they didn't have the "polish" the Python had.

Right after I bought the Ruger, Colt came out with the King Cobra, I'm pretty sure to compete with the less expensive GP-100. The ones I've seen are nice, strong pieces but they are not Pythons. They do match their intended market and I think hold their own against the Ruger for about the same price when they were made.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy one if I wanted another full size .357 at a decent price.
Old October 22, 2008, 12:07 PM   #10
thinkingman

I will admit, I have very little experience wth Python but would love to own one.
I do have quite a few rounds on the grip end of a King Cobra, shot back to back with a SW 686 and I couldn't tell the difference.
To me, they look the same and shoot the same.
Not much help but hopefully add perspective.
Old October 22, 2008, 12:27 PM   #11
Firepower!

I have a pair of King Cobras.

One in silver and 4''
Second in black and 6''

I cannot find a better revolver in 357 than KC. I really like them. Had python but got rid of it for Ruger SRH 7.5'' in 44.

Python is over priced, but fortunately in PK its cheaper than KC. However, both are hard to find.
Old October 22, 2008, 02:16 PM   #12
Majic

Quote:
Python is over priced, but fortunately in PK its cheaper than KC. However, both are hard to find.
Where is PK if the Python is cheaper than the King Cobra? Unless the King Cobras are way, way over priced I will buy every Python I can find there.
Old October 22, 2008, 02:50 PM   #13
Jart

Assuming pk to be Pakistan, I'd bet a donut you won't save a single rupee after air fare and trying to get the thing home.

But if "pk" is an abbreviation for a city in New Mexico, I'll race you there.
Old October 22, 2008, 03:21 PM   #14
mrmilitarypolice

3 of the best revolvers out there IMHO! all are super accurate, the Python is bright stainless and the GP100 is a beast of a gun! each one brings something different to the table.
Old October 22, 2008, 10:13 PM   #15
tailgunner6

You wouldn't by any chance have a 4" 686 would you?
Old October 23, 2008, 04:21 PM   #16
mrmilitarypolice

had a 686, 4 in stainless, one of the police models..didnt like it, wasnt accurate and didnt like the trigger pull.
Old October 23, 2008, 07:44 PM   #17
tailgunner6

Oh OK, just that I saw your awesome trifecta and thought a 4" 686 would complete the quadfecta (?) perfectly.

Nice guns!

Nice 6"s ZEBRARANGER!
Old October 23, 2008, 11:10 PM   #18
XavierBreath

The Python is a Bugatti.

The King Cobra is a tank.

It's an accurate, and very durable gun. About the only weakness in the King Cobra is that if the firing pin ever breaks, the gun will need a trip back to Hartford to replace it. A special jig is needed to prevent frame warpage, and Colt has the jig.

Old October 26, 2008, 03:03 PM   #19
Al57

Bought a NIB King Cobra years ago, and had severe timing issues very soon with it, and according to Colt themself, this was due to a weak / faulty hand spring ( which is the " leaf " variety ) . I had it replaced with a new, factory spring, which also went south soon later. I loved the looks, feel and accuracy from it, but did trade it after putting in a 3rd spring. Did I just run into a flukey, bad batch of springs, or have you other KC owners had or heard of my experience with them ?
Old October 26, 2008, 10:50 PM   #20
mrmilitarypolice

ive never had a problem with ANY of my KC's and im on my 3rd one !