The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old October 21, 2008, 05:13 PM   #1
cchardwick

Can you tell the age of a gun by the serial number?

I just bought two Bushmaster AR-15s this month, both from Sportsman's warehouse. My first one was a floor model and after I got it home I realized that the storage case was all busted up and the charging handle on the rifle had some significant wear, probably from people pulling the charging handle over and over. I would exchange it for a different one but they don't take exchanges or refunds. Then I went back a few weeks later and bought another making sure I got a new one from the back room. Boy what a difference, the case was completely redesigned and even the serial number / logo engraving was different. It made me wonder if theres a way to figure out how old the first was is. I bet it's been there for years. Here are the serial numbers:

L469XXX (older model)
BFI590XXX (newer model)

Both are the same model: XM15-E2S

Last edited by cchardwick; October 22, 2008 at 08:04 AM.
Old October 21, 2008, 05:16 PM   #2
TheManHimself

If you call Bushmaster, they should be able to tell you. I'd be surprised if they didn't have that information in their records.
Old October 21, 2008, 09:24 PM   #3
hockeysew

Bushy serial #'s that start with BFI are post Cerebus purchase rifles.
I am suprised that Sportsmans had them. I have a buddy that works at the one in Thornton and he told me they are alloted 5 or 6 Bushy's a month. Once they are sold there are no more until the next month.
Old October 22, 2008, 08:06 AM   #4
cchardwick

What is a "post Cerebus purchase rifle"?
Old October 22, 2008, 03:11 PM   #5
hockeysew

Cerberus Holdings purchased Bushmaster, Remington and a couple other firearms manufactures last year. They are a HUGE holdings company with interest in many different industries.
http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/Gun...?p=0&t=1&i=895
Old October 22, 2008, 05:21 PM   #6
10-96

Just going out on a limb here, but I'd think that with the old "Pre-ban/Post-ban" worries- AR companies would keep pretty darn good records on their manufacture dates. Once was the time that a feller was told to "contact the manufacturer" before he put on a flash supressor or any other number of doo-dads.

I'm going to use the words "clip" and "Long Colt" every chance I get. It grinds my gears to see new members attacked when we all know dang good and well what's being refered to.
Old October 23, 2008, 09:03 AM   #7
cchardwick

I just heard back from Bushmaster, here are the results. Both were made this year which surprises me. Also they offered to send me a new case but said I have to go back to the retail store for a charging handle replacement.

First one L469XXX DISPOSITION
DATE:04/10/2008 ITEM:BCWA3F 16M4

Second BFI590XXX DISPOSITION
DATE:09/22/2008 ITEM:BCWA3F 16M4
Old October 23, 2008, 12:10 PM   #8
cchardwick

Well Bushmaster continued to e-mail me back and forth today and they asked if I was given a discount for buying a floor model (which I wasn't) so they called Sportsman's Warehouse and decided to send me a case and a new charging handle. It seems Bushmaster is willing to stand behind their products. They even suggested exchanging the rifle but Sportsman's Warehouse won't allow it. I'm glad I'm working with a company that is dedicated to making their customers happy. That may be why Bushmaster is the number one AR-15 sold today.
Old October 23, 2008, 12:46 PM   #9
10-96

That's awesome. I'm always glad to hear of big companies that still know what customer service means. I wish there was a way to bump everybody's thread that boasts outstanding CS to the top of some list somewhere, or maybe a new category.

I'm going to use the words "clip" and "Long Colt" every chance I get. It grinds my gears to see new members attacked when we all know dang good and well what's being refered to.
Old October 23, 2008, 06:10 PM   #10
hockeysew

Quote:
Both were made this year which surprises me.
Suprises me too. I was told by a fairly reliable source that anything with the BFI prefix is post Cerbeus.

Quote:
I'm glad I'm working with a company that is dedicated to making their customers happy. That may be why Bushmaster is the number one AR-15 sold today.
This doesnt surprise me in the least. Bushy has always had exemplary customer service.
Old October 23, 2008, 10:08 PM   #11
TPAW

How's the finish on the new Bushy? The older ones were a little rough.
Old May 17, 2009, 05:41 PM   #12
mcraig8377

BFI means in house manufactured!