The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old October 18, 2008, 03:37 PM   #1
chris21908

beretta px4 storm C type & D Type difference

so whats the difference between the C type "constant action" and the D Type "double Action Only"? im a little confused.
Old October 18, 2008, 05:07 PM   #2
Jager78

This might help clear things up

Type F is Single action/Double action with Decocker and manual safety
Type C is Single action only with no decocker and no manual safety
Type D is Double action only with no decocker and no manual safety
Type G is Single action/Double action with Decocker and no manual safety

I believe that Type F is the most common, at least that's what I've checked out at a few different gunshops which is the only variant they had on the shelves. I asked if they had any Type G variants and was suprised to hear that they were unaware of any other variants.

The Beretta PX4 is a excellent weapon and I am hearing good things about this gun more and more. I love the way it fits my hand and it points very nicely.
Old October 18, 2008, 05:08 PM   #3
MrNiceGuy

i absolutely love my type G px4
Old October 18, 2008, 06:32 PM   #4
NCTexan

I have a type F in 9mm and it's a outstanding gun. I have several great target guns, but this is my SHTF hand gun... with great accuracy and reliability to boot.

I'm amazed how overlooked the PX4 is today.
Old October 18, 2008, 06:46 PM   #5
MrNiceGuy

Quote:
I'm amazed how overlooked the PX4 is today.

very true

before i bought the px4, it was between the beretta and an HK

the px4 fit me better in every way.... so it came down to buying what amounted to the perfect pistol for me, or buy an hk for the name

it really was an easy decision in the end, and out of my decently large collection, my px4 is definitely my go-to pistol.
i have a few nice 1911's, colt python and some other nice revolvers, a few glocks... but if shtf, i'm grabbing the px4
Old September 9, 2009, 08:55 PM   #6
TunTun

Well im kinda of new on this and i googled to see the difference and it send me to this page, and i see the difference in the type D and type C , but what does it mean single action , and double action?? cause both are the same except for that..
Old September 9, 2009, 09:00 PM   #7
greyson97

single action only will only fire when the hammer is cocked. if the hammer is down, you cant fire the gun

double action only is the hammer is always down, and can only be fired when down, you cant cock the hammer.

I have a 9mm PX4 and i like it. i shoot better groups with my glock 22 for some reason. I have to focus really hard to get good groupings with my px4.

i forgot why I decided to get the PX4, but I know at the time, I REALLY wanted one. maybe cause of the looks, maybe cause it was the descendent of the m92f and would carry forward all the features that made their predecessor great

si vis pacem, para bellum
Old September 9, 2009, 09:09 PM   #8
TunTun

so in ur opinion which one would be better a type C or a type D? im looking for info before i buy one... thanx for the info
Old September 9, 2009, 09:25 PM   #9
JohnKSa
Staff

That's heavily dependent on what you intend to use it for and on your personal preferences.
Old September 9, 2009, 09:45 PM   #10
TunTun

Im looking forward for concealed
Old September 9, 2009, 10:19 PM   #11
ATW525

The Type C has a shorter/lighter trigger pull than the Type D, but it needs to be cocked by the motion of the slide before each shot. It cocks the first time when you chamber a round, and then the cycling of the slide each time the gun is fired will automatically recock it for the next shot. When dry firing (pulling the trigger without ammunition in the firearm) you would need to manually pull the slide back far enough to recock it between each shot.

The Type D has a longer/heavier trigger pull but doesn't need to be cocked before each shot. In fact, it can't be cocked except by pulling the trigger. When dry firing the Type D you can "fire" as many times as you want just by pulling the trigger again.

Both are suitable for carry. I suggest trying both types of triggers if you can and see which one you like best.

Edited to add: For the record 1911s, Hi-Powers, Glocks, Kahrs, Springfield XDs, Smith & Wesson M&Ps and probably others that I'm forgetting all work in similar fashion to the Type C in that they need to be cocked to some degree before each shot and the cycling of the slide during recoil usually handles recocking automatically.

Last edited by ATW525; September 9, 2009 at 10:38 PM.
Old September 9, 2009, 10:40 PM   #12
JohnKSa
Staff

After doing a bit of research, it appears that single-action-only isn't a completely accurate description of the C (Constant Action) trigger.

It behaves similarly to a single action trigger in that the slide must be operated to chamber a round, however the slide only partially cocks the hammer which means that the trigger doesn't have to do as much work to fire the gun as in a true double-action.

You don't have to deal with safeties in either model nor can you cock the hammer (at least in the conventional sense) with either model.

It really does come down to personal preference, but I suspect that most people will find the C action easier to shoot accurately. The only real downside of the C compared to the D is that you can't double-strike a round if it fails to fire by merely pulling the trigger again. You'd have to rack the slide to eject the round and reset the action. The value of being able to double-strike a misfired round is hotly debated but with the quality of modern premium self-defense ammunition it's virtually moot.
Old September 9, 2009, 11:01 PM   #13
dec41971

Type F is better. You have the manual safety if you want it, and if not you can leave it off safety. Only first shot is double action. Every shot after that, is single action. Its not a 1911 style gun, but its one smooth pistol. Almost no recoil in the 9mm. Eats just about any ammo. For some reason though Berretta don't much seem to like "Independence" ammo.
Old May 25, 2014, 03:52 PM   #14
Mr.trooper

I'm reviving this thread because it came up first in a Google search, and the information is inaccurate:

Type C trigger - hammer stays at 1/2 cock, and a relatively heavy pull raises and then drops the hammer. Trigger reset is about 1/2 the length of travel.

Type D trigger - hammer stays down, and a heavy pull fully raises and then drops the hammer. Trigger reset is the full length of travel.

I personally look for the D trigger models. I like Berettas but hate slide mounted safeties, so the C and D types are the only ones i will buy.
Old May 25, 2014, 04:55 PM   #15
mete

IIRC the full size and compact have a rotating barrel system and the sub compact has a more common dropping barrel type.

Does anyone have actual trigger pull weights foe the various trigger types ?
Old May 25, 2014, 05:41 PM   #16
JohnKSa
Staff

The trigger weights on my PX4 G model are 4.75lbs (SA) and 9.44lbs (DA).

Those figures should be the same for the F model and the DA figure above should be the same as the D model pull.

I don't have any numbers for the C model.