The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old October 15, 2008, 07:29 PM   #1
B.N.Real

Interarms firearms-were they mostly quality handguns?

I have seen many Interarms impoorter marked handguns for sale lately and most of them seem to be of good to very good quality as far as the manufacturers that made them.

I own a Mauser HSC that has the Interarms rollmark on it.

An excellent handgun.

Is the Interarms rollmark the sign of a gun that was marked to a slightly higher level than the norm?

How has your experience been with Interarms rollmarked handguns?

Thanks in advance.
Old October 15, 2008, 08:38 PM   #2
sholling

I wish I could answer but there were so many. All of the ones that I've seen have been good quality.
Old October 15, 2008, 10:12 PM   #3
HKuser

For the most part, Interarms had a stable of quality arms like Mauser and Walther, but, as I recall, they were also Rossi importers, which is a lower end import, and Star which is a middle level maker. So, as I don't recall any absolute crap they marketed, they were all over the board as to cost of quality. When I was a kid, my favorite thing was to get the new Interarms catalog each year. I think i still have a few around.
Old October 16, 2008, 03:56 AM   #4
GlockNut

I owned several of those Star Firestars that Interarms imported years ago. I thought they were pretty good little guns.

mike
gn
Old October 16, 2008, 04:53 AM   #5
alloy

My Walther seems nicely made, and is finished well. Sam Cummings was an interesting character, and i remember when his daughter shot/killed the latino polo player from the news.
Using a modified CIA emblem while headquartered in Alexandria and supplying arms to world conflicts must require some decent firearms to stay in business. "Sporting Arms of the World".

http://money.cnn.com/magazines/fortu...8671/index.htm
Old October 16, 2008, 06:51 AM   #6
PSP

I have two Interarms pistols, neither one imported, but rather made in the U.S. and I'm very happy with both, a PPK/S and a TPH. They are reliable and well made.
Old October 16, 2008, 08:52 AM   #7
johnbt

Interarms imported too many different guns to make a blanket statement about the quality. It was a HUGE operation.

Pic from this site: www.bavarianm1carbines.com/imports.html

"Cummings and Interarmco became one of the largest gun brokers of their time, conducting business with, and for, many nations worldwide, in addition to wholesale and retail sales within the United States. Their dealings included everything from ammunition to small arms of all types, antiques, missiles, jet fighters, and more."
Old October 16, 2008, 08:54 AM   #8
johnbt

Forgot something.

"In 1966 Cummings and Interarmco lost a civil suit for trademark infringement (15 U.S.C. §1114(a)) for using the name Interarmco, the lawsuit being initiated by Armco Steel Corporation [Armco Steel Corp. v. Int’l Armament Corp., 249 F. Supp. 954, 959 (D.C. Cir. 1966)]. As a result of losing this lawsuit, Cummings changed the name of Interarmco to Interarms."
Old October 16, 2008, 09:00 AM   #9
ilbob

I have a 45acp sold by Interarms. They called it a silver cup (kind of a play on gold cup I guess). They made a frame and filled it in with surplus army parts.

Mine shoots and functions well. I bought mine somewhere around 1980. I think it was $189.
Old October 16, 2008, 09:00 PM   #10
44 AMP
Staff

As far as I know, Interarms was never a manufacturer

Importer and distributor (possible assembler) for a wide range of guns for a long time now. Generally quality guns, but not high end guns, with some exceptions. Generally not junk, again, with some exceptions. The guys doing the locating and buying overseas knew their stuff, and seldom sent bad guns back to the states, but nobody's perfect. Even homegrown gunmakers let some lemons go out the factory door.

Interarms marking on a gun simply mean it was imported or distributed by them, and while any individual gun ought to be ok, (just like guns from other makers/importers) prudence says a careful inspection can't hurt.
Old October 17, 2008, 05:21 PM   #11
B.N.Real

Wow!

Spectacular replies all around!

Thanks for all that information!