The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old October 12, 2008, 07:30 PM   #1
RLFD5415

Remington R-25 - First Impressions

Just purchased two Remington R-25's in 308 Win. Rifles are manuf. by DPMS. The impetus to purchase these rifles was:

1) Mild panic due to the way the election is shaping up. Now or never on an "AR-10" I told myself.

2) Difficulty in purchasing straight-up DPMS or Armalite parts and/or rifles in NY, a non-free state. R-25's are "watered down" enough to be available here. Even so, took some luck to find them and at a decent price. When I did, I could not resist.

3) Wife signed off on getting two! Can you say "double down"

This weekend, I have completely disassembled both, cleaned and lubed them. Neither have been fired as I am still waiting on scope mounts and optics to arrive. However, I have some observations to share. [Disclaimer: While i do know rifles, these are my first AR type rifles.]

The R-25's feel good to hold, handle well and at under 9lbs are relatively light. The R-25 is well balanced and the LOP is just right for me. Both felt very solid with minor slop between the upper and lower receivers. This movement did not feel any different from the AR's I've handled previously, though I wish there were none.

I was pleasantly surprised with the quality of the MO camo paint job. It will not scratch easily and had enough open space to be to my liking. (Typically, I do not like Mossy Oak patterns as they are too detailed to be effective.)

I liked the fact that the crown was well recessed and very protected.

BTW, I did inspect the barrels with a bore light. One looked like glass. The other had some rough spots 2 inches back from the end of the barrel. Thorough cleanings did not remove the "blemishes". Murphy says this barrel will be the better shooter of the two.

One concern has to do with the camming pin that holds the bolt in the bolt carrier. The hole for the firing pin was drilled parallel to the square edges of the cam pin, meaning that when the camming pin is rotated to receive the firing pin, it is not locked in by the round edges interfering with the rest of the bolt carrier. The firing pin is the only thing keeping the camming pin in place. I will call Remington on Tues do discuss as their own manual shows this situation as being different from design.

Now for the triggers. Both break at about 4.8 lbs. I will be changing out the triggers, though. At .75 mile, creep on both is completely unacceptable. rrrrrrrrrRRRR! Though I knew this about DPMS rifles going in, it did not help with the disappointment. I mean these make my Ruger factory triggers (before mods) look great.

Overall, I really do like the rifles. I am mildly annoyed at the short-comings, especially considering the price paid. If they turn out to be accurate shooters, then these shortcomings will quickly be forgotten. Otherwise, I will be an unhappy owner of two R-25's.

Stay tuned for accuracy results...
Old October 21, 2008, 07:14 PM   #2
warp19

r-25

just thought id let you know. I bought mine in sept. topped it with a leupold vx-ll. love everything except the trigger(will replace). i am not a great rifle shot & i can shoot quarter size groups @ 100yds. happy shooting
Old October 21, 2008, 08:10 PM   #3
DnPRK

The cam pin on 308 AR-style rifles (from DPMS, Armalite, RRA and Knights) doesn't turn 90 degrees like an AR-15 or M-16. Don't worry about it because it won't go anywhere with that stout firing pin running through it.

I run an RRA 2 stage trigger in one 308 and a JP single stage in the other. Many folks like the trigger work done by Bill Springfield at www.triggerwork.net
Old October 21, 2008, 09:10 PM   #4
jimbo_4

I have a DPMS, it's the M4 not the R25 like yours so I can't comment on most of it. I have not had any complaint of accuracy on mine, I did follow the break in instructions to a t. DPMS seems to use many low cost parts on some of their models (my opinion). But that can be changed, the accuracy again, great for me, sure it will be for you too.
Old October 22, 2008, 12:38 AM   #5
roklok

I too dislike slop between my upper and lower receivers on AR rifles. My solution is to glass bed the upper and lower receivers using release agent on the lower. By having the bedding compound attached to the upper allows you to fit different uppers with different tolerances. I put one of those little rubber wedges in to force the upper away from lower at maximum distance while acraglass set up. The result is a rock solid upper-lower fit.