The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old October 12, 2008, 07:11 PM   #1
HK123

Grease vs Oil for 1911 slide rails

I've been using Weaponshield as my lube of choice lately. Question is, does it work well enough for a 1911? I specifically ask about 1911s with very tight slide to frame fit. Such as the Dan Wesson CBOB. Would a gun grease be a better alternative for such an application than traditional oil? Should I spend a couple bucks on a tube of slide grease for my 1911?

If anyone specifically uses Weaponshield for their 1911, do you find it adequate and how much do you really apply?

Thanks
Old October 12, 2008, 07:15 PM   #2
Magyar

Quote:
Weaponshield
To be honest, not heard of it as yet. Where is it sold? I'm a grease man myself, but would also like to know more about it. BTW, at the moment I'm using 100% DuPont Teflon grease on my 1911 slides...
Old October 12, 2008, 07:16 PM   #3
Wildalaska

I have basically switched to white lithium grease, you know, the stuff that you buy is big cans for $3.00....why buy fancy stuff that doesnt work as well

WildmeetsmyneedsAlaska TM
Old October 12, 2008, 07:16 PM   #4
sholling

I've used Weapons Shield and it works great until it all runs out and eventually it does. These days I use either Slide Glide Lite or Shooter's Choice. Of course I live in a warm climate. In a colder climate I'd be careful to choose something that doesn't thicken too much.
Old October 12, 2008, 07:19 PM   #5
HK123

I'm in South FL and in winter we're lucky to get below 60F. So anyway grease vs oil is more of a question of which one is better for a 1911's rails. My Glocks and HKs would do fine either way.

Weaponshield is sold from Midway or you can order direct from http://www.weaponshield.com/page2.htm

It's made by steel shield technologies and is marketed as a CLP, but I simply use it as a LP (lube and protectant).

The question still remains in my mind, should I use grease for the rail surfaces of a 1911 or does it not make a difference?
Old October 12, 2008, 07:59 PM   #6
tailgunner6

I think using a grease on high load contact areas is a great idea. At first I just used a drop of EEZOX on these areas but then thought to add a bit of cushioning with some grease.

After I clean my guns following a shooting session, I wipe them down with EEZOX. When I reassemble my semi-autos, I put a tiny smear of high moly grease (anti-scuff paste used in engine assembly) on the front of the rails and barrel lugs, in addition to a tiny drop of EEZOX, and then I put the gun back together and wipe off any excess lube.

I think the application of grease (sparingly) on 1911 slide rails is at minimum good peace of mind.
Old October 12, 2008, 08:19 PM   #7
LHB1

Quote: "I've been using Weaponshield as my lube of choice lately. Question is, does it work well enough for a 1911? I specifically ask about 1911s with very tight slide to frame fit. "

In my opinion, YES!! I use Weaponshield as the lube of choice on all five of my Wilson custom 1911s and it works great. For those who might not know, Weaponshield was developed by George Fennell who also developed FP-10 some years ago. WS is even better than FP-10 IMO as a lube. I clean with Shooters Choice Bore Cleaner, lube with Weaponshield, and rust proof with RustePrufe. There are other good products on the market but these work well for me.

For more info:
http://www.weaponshield.com
Old October 12, 2008, 08:20 PM   #8
Logs

I use Grease myself seems to work better than any oil I have tried.
Old October 12, 2008, 08:40 PM   #9
Shane Tuttle
Staff

Eezox for me on ALL the gun parts.

However, after applicaiton I use Tetra Grease. Very, very small amount on the slide. A little is all you need.

The protective properties are still in place even though you don't physically see it on your gun. Some people are so set in their ways thinking that their guns have to be literally dripping with Breakfree CLP in order for the gun to be protected.

I think in your environment I'd be in the same routine. The Eezox is top notch on corrosion protection and is a durable lube. Tetra Grease is just for added measure and will not slow the cycling of your 1911 if properly applied.

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
Old October 12, 2008, 09:38 PM   #10
vox rationis

I've been using Wilson's Ultima Lube, but lots of very knowledgeable 1911 types seem to really laud Brian Enos' Slide Glide, but I haven't tried it yet.
Old October 12, 2008, 09:42 PM   #11
ppro

I too have switched to white lithium grease.

Tried everything else under the sun....lithium grease lastly, and was surprised. Good stuff ....just right actually, for my semi's not to much stiction, not to little, and good lubrication. Good in cold and warm......Why oh why do I have to wait till I am old, to find the good lubricants that have been under my nose all those years.

Use the spray on lithium grease....get it in where you need it, wipe off the rest.

Paul
Old October 12, 2008, 09:59 PM   #12
bufordtjustice

I use the ultilube stuff that came with my wilson. Where is a good place to pick up white lithium grease? I may try that.
Old October 12, 2008, 10:01 PM   #13
Wildalaska

Quote:
Where is a good place to pick up white lithium grease? I may try that.
Auto parts store

WildonsaleAlaska TM
Old October 12, 2008, 10:10 PM   #14
azredhawk44

Quote:
I have basically switched to white lithium grease, you know, the stuff that you buy is big cans for $3.00....why buy fancy stuff that doesnt work as well

WildmeetsmyneedsAlaska TM
Even in the black of winter's night when the Grizzlybunnies prowl?

AZRedhawkdoesn'titfreezeincoldweather?IdunnosinceI'minArizona44
Old October 12, 2008, 10:13 PM   #15
Swampghost

Try TefGel or SuperLube. Teflon based greases. The frictional coefficient of wet ice on wet ice. Look it up.
Old October 12, 2008, 10:49 PM   #16
HK123

Thanks for all the replies. I think I'll get a tube of lithium grease to use on the slide rails.

What do you all think of lubing up with Weaponshield and then wiping it down and applying a bit of grease on the rails and working it in?
Old October 12, 2008, 11:05 PM   #17
tailgunner6

I like that idea, that's basically what I do
Old October 12, 2008, 11:06 PM   #18
LHB1

Quote: "Thanks for all the replies. I think I'll get a tube of lithium grease to use on the slide rails. What do you all think of lubing up with Weaponshield and then wiping it down and applying a bit of grease on the rails and working it in? "

Your gun, your choice. Personally, I don't see the need for adding the grease since the Weaponshield alone works great on my guns. I've tried many of the lubes mentioned in this thread including Wilson Ultima Lube Oil, Wilson UL Grease, Wilson UL Universal (mix of oil and grease), FP-10, RemOil, GunSlick, LubriPlate (white grease), and some others I have forgotten. Most have done well. The only complaints were with RemOil being too thin and Gunslick drying into a solid, hard glob during winter.
Old October 13, 2008, 12:53 AM   #19
Wildalaska

Quote:
Even in the black of winter's night when the Grizzlybunnies prowl?
Yep....if it gets cold enough to make a diff, I'll just stay inside in my jammies

WildihaveseveralpairsAlaska TM
Old October 13, 2008, 06:07 AM   #20
alloy

white lithium huh? i got a ton of it, but ive been using Slick-50 wheel bearing grease because i have alot of that also. seems to work pretty well.

honestly. i got a bike shop, greases, oils are everywhere. someone posted in a different thread they use mobil one for gun oil, multi-vis so it should even work in alaska. i got cases of the stuff...but i like the smell of 3-in-1.

i will try white lithium.
Old October 13, 2008, 08:16 AM   #21
sophijo

marine grade lithium grease

I wonder how this is different than regular lithium grease. I used it on my boat trailer wheel bearings; submersed in water occasionally....maybe a good thing for firearm rails? Don't know...any ideas?
Old October 13, 2008, 03:53 PM   #22
spacemanspiff

In my younger and lighter years, I made use of white lithium grease to service the bearings on my rollerblades. The other option was to pack them with that heavy dark grease, that only gets to its best consistancy when it warms up from friction. The lithium was always ready-to-go, so to speak.
They also were less apt to slow down from water exposure, and collected less debris.

I would have no qualms about using it to lube the rails on my pistol.
Old October 13, 2008, 03:58 PM   #23
Magyar

Quote:
I use the ultilube stuff that came with my wilson
Be prepared to locate a "putty knife" when you leave it for awhile. Just my experience with it, and it wasn't even that cold. I made a "3-point" shot straight to the garbage can...Wilson got my $$$$, but the last....
Old October 13, 2008, 04:02 PM   #24
longeyes

I prefer grease (I use Wilson's).

But...

With oil you can do a quick lube without taking the gun down. Up to you.
"Ah...what trouble?" ~Jeremiah Johnson
Old October 13, 2008, 07:01 PM   #25
Nakanokalronin

After cleaning my semi-auto handguns they all get the same treatment. A good high qulity grease on the slide rails. The grease is put on thin since its still there even after a range session. Rem Oil everywhere else. If I only had oil it would'nt be a problem to put them on the rails but it would need to be a thicker oil that could last.