The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old October 29, 2008, 01:40 PM   #1
300magman

Most accurate remington 700 model

Some of the guys were discussing Rem 700's and something of a debate broke out about which particular model would be the most accurte (just assuming equal caliber, say 300win for example)
There is so much variety in the lineup, some say the higher end nice looking wooden guns are better quality and more accurate, others say the cheap synthetics are less prone to environmental changes and therefor outshoot the more expensive wood versions.
Personally I think the XCR being both high end and synthetic would be a fairly safe bet....but of course thats not counting the Sendaro II which is supposed to be the most accurate. Though some guys even debate that saying the semi-heavy barrel is actually no more accurate if your only firing a single shot.

Where would you all weigh in on the subject, is the Sendaro II the king, or is it the expensive wooden models or the cheap synthetics, or it the expensive synthetic (XCR)

Opps, just remembered something that didn't come up, remington also makes tactical rifles...most of them are short barrel though if I remember right, but I believe one of them has a 26" barrel.
Old October 29, 2008, 01:49 PM   #2
j.chappell

Are you limiting it to standard production and the 300WM? If you are simply looking for the most accurate Remington I think you would have to say one of the 40-X's would be it.

J.
Old October 29, 2008, 02:04 PM   #3
LateNightFlight

I don't have a Sendaro but I think that would be the best of the line up for out of the box accuracy. I do have the 26" SPS Varmint and it's no slouch for half the money, but I do reserve the possibility of adding a precision stock and tuning, at which point it matches the expense and becomes a Sendero with my unpaid work.

And some days I think the 20" tactical would have been perfectly practical, but still not a one hole shooter. (If that's even the case with the Sendero.)

I'm still waiting for a Sendero range report... somebody! What also makes the Sendero attractive is they build some on the hefty end - 7RUM, 300Ultra. Unless I'm mistaken, these bull barrel configs in the big guns are generally the domain of custom builders, so it would be nice to know what the Senderos can do in that arena.
Old October 29, 2008, 02:09 PM   #4
223 shooter

Having owned 6 or so Model 700s in the past dozen years the most consistently accurate model I have owned has been my 700 LTR in .223. Am I saying the 700 LTR is the most accurate of all the 700s? No , just the best that I have owned personally.

Others I have owned/own include the 700VS .308 , 700VLS .223 , 700P .308 , 700SPS .223 and one I just picked up a stainless 700VLS thumbhole in .223. Of the those , the SPS has given me the best results overall but in a HS Precision stock. The new VLS I have not fired yet.

Last edited by 223 shooter; October 29, 2008 at 03:19 PM.
Old October 30, 2008, 10:46 AM   #5
300magman

J, is the 40-X a single shot target rifle of some sort...I think I've heard of it, but its not a 700 is it? and that is what we were discussing.

Which of all the various 700 models is typically going to be the most accurate in a medium game sized caliber.... 308, 270, 7mm, 30.06, 300win, etc. I'm sure some of the varmint rifles will best them with thier long heavy barrels and .223 rounds but that is somewhat beside the discussion as well.
Old October 30, 2008, 11:17 AM   #6
j.chappell

The 40-X is a 700 action; it is available through the custom shop. It can be had as a single shot or repeater but is a target rifle.

As far a sporting rifle in the 700 line to get the best I still think you would have to go through the custom shop.

Check them out here: http://www.remington.com/Products/Firearms/Custom_shop/

If you are looking at their standard line I'd don’t know, you get good ones and bad ones.

Many custom shop rifles in .30cal have SUB MOA guarantees.

J.

Last edited by j.chappell; October 30, 2008 at 12:04 PM.
Old October 30, 2008, 11:26 AM   #7
kraigwy

Quote:
J, is the 40-X a single shot target rifle of some sort...I think I've heard of it, but its not a 700 is it?
The 40-X action IS A MODEL 700. Its the target version.

As for the question, I really think you'll find it rare to find a Model 700 that dosnt shoot. Yeah you can tune them up (as with any action) and make it shoot better. But as standard hunting rifle I don't really believe one in better then the others unless you get one of the speciality Sniper or Varmet versions.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old October 30, 2008, 12:37 PM   #8
300magman

yeah, really, a custom rifle or for that matter a heavy barrel, varmint, or tactical rifle Should All come with a sub moa guarantee in my oppinion.
How hard is it really to make a sub moa rifle these days. My old 1917 30.06 fired a group nearing 0.5 inchs last weekend with the cheapest ammo available, if they can make a rifle that good almost a 100 years ago (when they were just mass producing as fast as possible to keep up with war demands) then it should be a piece of cake to go sub moa with modern equipment, techniques, and a bit of time to build it properly.
Old October 30, 2008, 12:40 PM   #9
j.chappell

Thats just it though, they take no time to build it. They are cranked out now by the thousands with little to no hands on. Firearms use to be built by craftsman back in the day, now they are thrown together with little regard.

I love older rifles and have bought a few newer ones but greatly prefer old to new.

J.
Old October 30, 2008, 01:10 PM   #10
One308

Remington 700 SPS V

I own a 700SPSV ,and have had great results out to 500 yards with cheap federals(power shok 150's)out of wal-mart.With 1/2" groups at 200yards,I see no need to complain about the cheap standard stock.This is a out of the box gun with no modification whatsoever.Just slapped on a banner 3X9X50 and started shooting.$600 gun,$150scope.So i kind of question the doubt in the stock,but I don't shoot 1000 yds either.I do feel that I could get better results with a hand load.

Last edited by One308; October 30, 2008 at 01:13 PM. Reason: misprint
Old October 30, 2008, 01:40 PM   #11
Horseman

I have a Sendero SF II in 7mmRem Mag. It shoots 162gr Hornady A Max under 1/2" everytime all the time.

I have a 700Police in 308 that is the most accurate gun I've ever fired (I've owned one or more of almost every modern mfg). The 308 usually shoots in the .2's and .3's @100yds. Both guns wear factory XMmark Pro triggers adjusted down to 2 lbs.

My guess would be the Sendero will be the best bet for accuracy with the mangleum calibers. The fit and finish on the SF II's is really nice. They hold their own in the cabinet next to much more expensive guns like Coopers and Sakos. And the palm swell on the new H-S stocks turns your wrist perfect for even trigger pulls off a bench IMO.
Old October 30, 2008, 02:15 PM   #12
model70fan

It's tough to say which model is going to be the most accurate (cal. and such being equal). You could shoot 5 of every model and none will shoot the same, one individual of a particular model will outshoot another while also outshooting different models and being outshot by different individuals of different models. I guess I would say the heavier barreled high end models may have a better chance of being accurate out of the box but there also may be a bare bones cheapy on some gunshelf that will outshoot the rest. Bottom line is you have to define accuracy by your standards, get lucky, or customize to suit your needs.