Round 1
AR Series Rifles VS AK Series Rifles
Rules
Any Caliber
Any Manufacturer
Compare the pros and cons of each
Ready Fight!!
Stick to facts
Make Points of the reliability issue with the AR and the accuracy issues with the AK
Old September 28, 2008, 07:03 PM   #2
Yithian

ARs are great guns, but pricey for my low income.
Very accurate semiauto.
Keeping it lubed is like owning a car that burns oil. No biggie to always add more, but why should you HAVE to worry about it?

AKs are Cheap.
Various calibers now-days.
Epitome of reliability.
Dowsides, less precise, less modular.
Old September 28, 2008, 07:14 PM   #3
RedneckFur

AR's are so unreliable if you ever take them outdoors they will jam. Use anything other than hanloaded ammo, and it will jam. Use anything other than NASA designed lube and it will jam. Many AR's have "made by Mattel" stamped somwhere on them. If you dont like AR's, you hate democracy and America.

AK's are so inaccurate that you cannot hit a barn from the inside with it. Owning an AK means you hate democracy and America. If you buy an AK, you support terrorism. It also lowers your IQ by about 30 points.

.....So now that we have all the false rumors out of the way....

Both rifles are good at doing what they were designed to do. The AR/M16 was designed to be an accurate, small caliber rifle backed by artillery and aircraft. It was given full auto (and later burst fire) for emergency use, or when alot of fire had to be laid down quickly.

The AK was intended to be used in harsh enviroments where gunsmiths were unheard of and maintence would be difficult. It was also designed to be easily and quickly produced. The AK was designed to be capable of hitting man-sized targets out to about 300 meters, but some shoot better or worse.

Personally, I prefer the AK. Say what you will about it, they dont rattle when you shake them. Most AR's i've handled rattle like a can of bolts, despite their good accuracy.
Old September 28, 2008, 07:17 PM   #4
B. Lahey

I own both, I like both, why choose?
Old September 28, 2008, 07:22 PM   #5
triggerhappy2006

Quote:
why choose?
For Argurmentive Sake lol
Old September 28, 2008, 07:31 PM   #6
hodaka

A precision tool that is very reliable, accurate and easily scoped vs. some stamped out junk that although capable of going bang when you yank on the trigger, is minute of pie plate at 50 yds. Not even close.
Old September 28, 2008, 07:59 PM   #7
kristop64089

I pick the AR here, and the only reason being...modular ability.

I am on my 4th AR, and 3rd AK. I love em' both equally. If I were going to be homeless roaming the woods, AK all the way.

BUT, since I live in a nice home in the country, with no impending doom lurking, The AR wins for me.
Old September 28, 2008, 08:01 PM   #8
overkill556x45

I used an M16A2 in the war. I am alive. I know some AK-armed individuals who cannot make that same statement.

AR gets my vote.
Old September 28, 2008, 08:07 PM   #9
Tomac

I've owned numerous AR's over the years, everything from stock SP-1's to a custom XM-177E2 and had problems w/all of them. I know there are reliable AR's out there but I no longer trust the platform. Like a performance racing car that has better acceleration, handling, etc but has too many potential problem areas that have to be watched.
Are the gas rings aligned properly? Is the gas key properly staked? Am I using the right ammo w/the right mags w/the right followers w/the right lube for the current conditions? Let's not talk about double-feed jams, what happens w/a buttstroke-like impact or how the DI gas system blows crud to exactly where you *don't* want it (sigh...)
AK's have been the most reliable & easy to maintain rifles I have ever owned. Several years ago I bought 2 new 5.45 SAR-2 AK's and right out of the box w/o cleaning or lubing put 2,000rds of Wolf 60gr 5.45 ammo through each of them (4K rds total in one day w/friends helping shoot & load mags) w/o a single malfunction of any kind and they were accurate enough to consistently hit the 300m gong if I did my part. Anyone care to try that kind of test w/a new AR right-out-of-the-box?
The AK won't win any beauty contests and it may not be as ergonomic or inherently accurate as the AR but I trust it far more.
Just MHO...
Tomac
Old September 28, 2008, 09:03 PM   #10
ndking1126

AR in .308 is an excellent option. The biggest and best arguement against the AR (IMO) is that it's under powered. Not so with the .308! Also, this is a very accurate round, and it does not take much to make the AR an accurate weapon.

The AK is super reliable. They are everywhere (ie, all over the world) and replacement parts would never be a problem to find. AK's are accurate enough to do what they were meant to do... hit a human at a few hundred rounds. But the average joe doesn't shoot at people.. they shoot at things. So, sometimes the accuracy can leave some to be desired.

I pick the AR though On paper, it's a toss up, but when they're in your arms and you're pulling the trigger... the smile on my face is always bigger when I'm shooting the AR.
Old September 28, 2008, 09:06 PM   #11
Forwardassist

Not another Ak Vs AR thread.

This is going to turn ugly.
Old September 28, 2008, 09:22 PM   #12
B. Lahey

Quote:
minute of pie plate at 50 yds
I can't speak for the various elderly full-auto AKs currently being dragged around the world's least popular vacation spots, but that's not what us Americans are buying. My AK was made in Utah and it's nice. It'll shoot 3moa groups all day long with quality brass-cased ammo. Not bad for having about a foot of sight-radius to work with. It would probably do better with optics, but it's an AK, so no thanks.

I like ARs fine, but don't own a Colt, so I have not picked up the proper bias yet. I'm sure I'll become a proper AR nerd when I get my MT6601.
Old September 28, 2008, 09:29 PM   #13
MAX100

Quote:
The AK is super reliable. They are everywhere (ie, all over the world) and replacement parts would never be a problem to find.
AKs never needs replacement parts, only ARs do.

GC
Old September 28, 2008, 09:52 PM   #14
K-Minus

Note:The following opinions are based on the standard bear bones stock version's of each gun,iron sight's and all.So don't go saying...

"But if you put a gas piston in it."Or "If it were a 308."

I personally belive this is a fair way to do it.

Soooo.....deal with it.

To each gun I give my repects but im going to vote AK.

It feels good in my hands and I love the simplicity.
The ergonomics are far more friendly for left hand shooters than a standard
AR setup.

I actually like the look of an AK.Shocked I know,but It looks like it can take a beating which it can.

The AR on the other hand looks like an easy to break,overpriced toy....
which it is

I like the nice,solid kick from a 7.62x39.It feels like im actually shooting a
fighting rifle where as the AR feels very underpowered...which it is

As for accuracy.Most of todays fighting with a battle rifle is well within 300 meters so based on that im going to say for BATTLEFEILD accuracy...both are equal.As long as you can hit the man that's trying to kill you,your good.

As for benchrest shooting,I give it to the AR.I'll give you AR lovers that.

I'v said my piece.
Old September 28, 2008, 10:49 PM   #15
Scorch

Again??? Reruns. Boooring.
Taylor Machine
Old September 28, 2008, 10:58 PM   #16
bclark1

AR. Reliability is a non-issue - I've never had a problem and never heard of a problem with a well-maintained AR/M16A2+. Beyond that, dead is dead. A 7.62 to the arm won't kill you any more than a 5.56 to the arm. But either to the X-ring will do the job. If nothing else, you've got more shots to do it with using an AR, and better accuracy will be a big help doing it outside 100 yards.
Old September 28, 2008, 11:02 PM   #17
Bogie

Oh, why bother...

And making the world's greatest bottle openers!
Old September 28, 2008, 11:04 PM   #18
Swampghost

Submerge it, dunk it the mud a few times, let it sit for a few days minus anything and get back. As much as I hate to admit it, the AK is a superior weapon when it comes to durability. Kalashnikov was our version of John Browning, sort of.
Old September 28, 2008, 11:08 PM   #19
TPAW

Quote:
Which is your preference
Aside from the fact that this has been around time and time again and getting boring, here is my response. I hope this does not go on and on.
Research the threads for your answer. Loaded question! Preference for what situations. Urban combat, field operations? Be more specific. Where will I be? What type of combat scenario am I to expect?
Don't even answer. Go to the dozens of previous threads.
Moderator, please end this repetitiveness. Thank you.
Old September 28, 2008, 11:31 PM   #20
MAX100

Come on we are just having fun. Lighten up and join the party.

GC
Old September 29, 2008, 12:15 AM   #21
ChicagoTex

I'll take the AR everytime.
I give the AK the edge in reliability, but between the garbage sights and ultra-loose fit, I don't consider AKs to be able to yield "effective fire" beyond about 50 yards (excepting of course ridiculously expensive well-fitted custom examples, which cost twice the price of an AR to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear).

I also hate depending on bulk boxes of overseas mystery ammo for a rifle I'd think of trusting my life to.
Old September 29, 2008, 01:10 AM   #22
zippy13

Quote:
Originally Posted by B. Lahey
I own both, I like both, why choose?
Because,
"There is a special place in hell for those who, in a time of moral crisis, strive to maintain their neutrality." - Dante Alighieri
Old September 29, 2008, 03:18 AM   #23
Ignition Override

Being a relative older (middle-aged) newcomer to so much of this, pardon the provocative questions here. Somebody mentioned benchrest shooting with an AR.
I'm wondering what benchrest shooting, in general, has to do with real shooting, whether over a river, hunting a feral pig (I've never hunted), or blasting old junk parts or pumpkins in a field, or an animal from a guy's deer stand or truck?
Many guys sight in their hunting rifles at any range, but otherwise, what is the realism?

Or your neighborhood is damaged by a natural disaster and there is suspected looting nearby, but you need to go find a store which will sell food, or gas.
Old September 29, 2008, 05:28 AM   #24
triggerhappy2006

For all the people questioning this thread and asking for combat situations, this a comparison of the different manufacturers and calibers to see if they truely live up to their bad rumors, no combat situation. I got some results that i hoped for; The AR and the AK series rifle are just about equal. At least in my opinion. my goal was to see who still believed in the ancient beliefs of an ak being terribly inaccurate and an AR being made to such small allowances that it jams as soon as it sees sand or mud!
Old September 29, 2008, 07:30 AM   #25
bigjack59

To all you AR haters, I used an AR under wet dry freezing ultra-hot whatever conditions for an entire career and NEVER had a malfunction in the field. It will hit were you want it to, will do it every time out to 300-400 meters with a little care and training.

The AK is inaccurate but reliable, cheaply made but available in huge cheap quantities. Makes a great bullet slinger at close range. So who are you arming? If it is an American soldier, he will be well trained and led. If it is a child soldier in Liberia, he will be untrained and merely trying to put rounds out somewhere. The American soldier will need a M16 family of weapon. The untrained soldier will need an AK. WHich army do you want to be in?