The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 9, 2008, 07:49 PM   #1
Samdweezel05

Rifled barrel for my BPS 10ga?

Does any one make a slug barrel for the BPS 10ga? I can't find any one that wants to buy it so I might as well turn it into a cannon.

Phil
Old October 9, 2008, 09:07 PM   #2
T. O'Heir

A 10 guage is already a cannon. I'm not seeing any rifled barrels for a 10 ga. BPS either. Not much in extra 10 ga. barrels at all.
Old October 10, 2008, 12:40 AM   #3
Scattergun Bob

Samdweezel05

I am a little confused. I am not aware of any 10 Ga sabot slugs available. That is the projectile for a rifled slug barrel. There are Federal 10 Ga rifled slugs available and they will shoot thru your smoothbore barrel fine.

Are you really looking for a slug barrel with rifle sights?

More information Please

Good Luck & Be Safe
Old October 10, 2008, 05:13 PM   #4
BigJimP

Some of us bought the 10ga BPS .......and regretted our decisions as well ..... ( but it seemed like a hell of an idea at the time ). Heck, I was even dumb enough to order an extra 32" barrel for mine .....along with the
28" it came with ... for an extra $ 250 as I recall at the time ( this was about 1988 ....when I was younger and less well informed ...between marriages ...and not using my brain a lot...). It was like swinging a sewer pipe .......and it still beat the stuffing out of me .... So don't feel bad .... ( just sharing ).

But I agree with Bob - what the heck do you want a slug barrel on it for ...
Old October 10, 2008, 05:59 PM   #5
Samdweezel05

You guys are too much. I have some of the federal slugs allready but I was looking for a barrel with sights. I guess I could put a fixed power scope on it and use the barrel I have now. What choke would I use to shoot them, Mod, Cyl?

BigJimP, Did you think you would shoot it enough to wear out the first barrel. You must have big giant brass slugs.

Phil
Old October 10, 2008, 06:09 PM   #6
Scattergun Bob

Samdweezel05

First, you are correct Sir about your observations on Jim. I am 6-1 and rather stout for an old man, Jim towers over me!!!! If anyone can shoot a big heavy 10Ga my money is on Jim.

I would try cyl bore first. Mounting a scope, well OK, please be really careful to give LOTS of eye clearance, I do not want to think about what scope eye with this gun would look like!
Old October 10, 2008, 06:35 PM   #7
Samdweezel05

LOL, I am 6'3" 230 lbs or so. The thought of getting scope eye from a 10ga doesn't do much for me. The Cyl choke is the one I don't have. Time to find one. A 1 3/4oz slug shouldn't be that bad.

Phil
Old October 10, 2008, 09:50 PM   #8
gordo b.

I think a 24" rifle sighted Imp Cylinder barrel was available for a time. I have my eye out for one. I love my BPS, I use it for all waterfowl and turkeys. It has a 30" barrel and I shoot a modified steel approved choke for the steel shot and a full for the lead for turkeys. I keep my 20" Cylinder 10 ga. SxS AyA Matador double loaded with slugs usually (sometimes #4buck) hidden but accessable in the TV room for those home invasion scenarios.
Old October 11, 2008, 05:44 PM   #9
Samdweezel05

A 10ga SxS coach gun with buck shot for home invasion? Never thought of that. I could always find another BPS and duct tape two of them together.

Phil
Old October 12, 2008, 10:50 AM   #10
gordo b.

Old October 12, 2008, 10:53 AM   #11
gordo b.

Old October 12, 2008, 12:48 PM   #12
zippy13

BigJimP

Have you priced copper pipe recently?
Perhaps you should keep that 10-ga around just in case of a plumbing emergency -- you might be able to put that big pipe to work.
Old October 13, 2008, 04:16 PM   #13
BigJimP

Hey you guys, big guys have feelings too you know ....we don't look like it, but we might be sensitive ....oh, hell, who am I kidding .... ( I'm only 6'5" and a biscuit shy of 300 lbs ...) but who cares. I could shoot it Bob - but not when I kept blinking after every shot ...and little tears in my eyes .. well maybe not, but it was a beast.

I sold that 10ga BPS ( and both barrels ) to a professional duck hunting guide in Stuttgart, Arkansas ... a few years back. He wanted it for "cleanup" when he has clients that can't shoot, are too hung over to shoot, whatever ... I think I paid about $ 500 for the gun and the extra barrel and a couple of extra chokes / and as I recall, I sold it to him for $ 200 ... before I left Stuttgart after having only used it in the field hunting geese on that one trip. I shot it a little for Trap before I went hunting that year - but it probably only had 10 boxes thru it before I sold it - and not a mark on it ( except the tears ). I even completely field stripped it / and cleaned it before I gave it to him ... just to show I cared...
Old October 13, 2008, 07:20 PM   #14
Samdweezel05

We do have feelings but I leave mine at home so they don't get hurt. As for the 10ga with all the tear marks on it, I guess I will keep it and try to shoot it a little more. Never know when you will have a home invasion.

Phil
Old October 15, 2008, 12:57 PM   #15
Niagara Shooter

Theres a BPS hunter 10 right now on gun broker with a 24' buck special barrel! Wish I lived in the states so I could bid! That'd be a fun one to own!!