The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old October 8, 2008, 11:48 PM   #1
Capt_Vin

Info on something called Lifeliner Bore Liner

Been seeing alot of adds for this new chemical out called Lifeliner. It is a nano-ceramic fusion gun bore liner made by Otis Technologies and is supposed to be one of the best products out there for protecting and prolonging the life of a heavily fired rifle barrel.

Fom what I read, it is a chemical that lines the barrel with a nano-ceramic (??whats that mean?????) coating thaat brings the hardness up to 80 on the Rockwell Hardness Scale. Again, from what I read, it forms a layer inside the barrel protecting it from the repeated rapid high pressures and heat that a barrel experiences with heavy usage.

I own a few custom built AR-15s that are used regularly in compatition, and I do work my rifles hard. A normal practice session to me is usually 3-4 hours of almost non-stop firing, sometimes in the area of 700-800 rounds. I religiously disassemble the rifles and give them a complete cleaning/inspection after each use, so I know my rifles are in tip top shape.

Would this product be worth investing in (msrp is around $85.00 for the kit) or would I be better off usng the money on something else? From what I read about it, it seems to be worth it.
Old October 8, 2008, 11:51 PM   #2
B. Lahey

Sounds like voodoo. May as well wave skunk-cabbage leaves at the rifle and pour rum down the bore.
Old October 10, 2008, 05:31 PM   #3
FrontSight

I say get twop barrels, try it on one & not the other, fire the same number of rounds & then do a close inspection to see if you can find any differences...