The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old October 7, 2008, 12:33 AM   #1
Firepower!

Whats the most common caliber/handgun in the US?

Hi
Here in PK then most common handgun is a local made clone of chinese TT, and then perhaps the chinese TT itself.

Thus most common caliber here is .30 mauser.

I would like to know,in your opinion, whats the most common caliber and handgun in the US?
Old October 7, 2008, 12:43 AM   #2
Westbanker

Just a wild guess but I think 9mm.... But lots of 45's out there to...
Old October 7, 2008, 05:05 AM   #3
darkgael

common

I'm guessing .38 or .45. What with the adoption of semi-autos by the police over the years, it could be 9mm.
Pete
Old October 7, 2008, 05:54 AM   #4
wjkuleck

For eons it was the S&W Model 10 in .38 Special. I'll bet it's the Ruger .22 Auto, if we're looking for one specific make/model.

Glock will sure be up there for makes, but there's a lot of Glock models/calibers.

Regards,

Walt
The M1 Garand Complete Assembly Guide
The AR-15 Complete Assembly
and (New 4th Edition) Owner's Guides
Old October 7, 2008, 06:09 AM   #5
Dangerwing

I have no idea. I know its not the 9x17! And probably not the .357Sig or .45GAP either.

Only faithful men teach their wives to shoot.
Old October 7, 2008, 06:20 AM   #6
Keltyke

If you don't include LE agencies and only include carry or PD pieces, I'd say:
9mm
.38 spcl.
.45 ACP

If you include LE agencies, it's probably .40 S&W. If you include target plinkers, it might be .22 LR.

You know, you might want to do some Google Internet searching for your answers. There's gotta be data, statistics and charts out there. Why do you want us to do the legwork for you? You have the same Internet access we do - use it.
Old October 7, 2008, 07:06 AM   #7
dchi

Im going to have to say the glock 22 in .40. they have 70% of the market share in LE field. Thats thousand of the same gun in each big department. I think NY, LA and chicago have police forces with 20,000 plus officers. Im not sure how many Beretta M9 are in the millitary but I would say less than the 10thousand plus police departments in nation.
Old October 7, 2008, 07:30 AM   #8
Dwight55

Considering that guns, unlike cars, aren't routinely sent to the scrap heap, . . . and that for 60 or 70 years, almost every police force used some version of the swing out cylinder, 6 shot, .38 special, . . . I would be very tempted to say that it is the most prevalent hand gun in the US.

Secondly, . . . due to sheer age of availablity (plus the thousands of WW1 and WW2 guns that came "home"), . . . I'd say the 1911 in .45ACP would be second.

After that: 9mm's have to be up there, . . . as well as .22's

JMHO

May God bless,
Dwight
If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a Veteran!
Old October 7, 2008, 07:48 AM   #9
teeroux

I think it somewhere in these four. 22lr, 38 special, 9mm, or 45acp.

You will be hard pressed to find a store that sells guns or ammo without guns and ammo in these four.
Old October 7, 2008, 08:10 AM   #10
skydiver3346

Most Common Handgun?

Pistols: Have to be the .38 Special I would think. Then the 9mm and .45acp.
Probably to most common gun period, would be the .22lr
Old October 7, 2008, 08:23 AM   #11
azredhawk44

http://www.cato.org/pub_display.php?pub_id=9514

Cato suggests that it is the 1911 design by Browning, manufactured by dozens of companies, chambered in .45acp.

Quote:
The most common handgun in the United States is the Colt 1911 pistol, and the variants made by many other companies.
I didn't bother to read their citation, but I trust them. They just won in front of the Supreme Court WRT Heller, so I think they do good research.
Old October 7, 2008, 08:33 AM   #12
gb_in_ga

Hmm -- Milsurp 1911s, or LEsurp .38s/.357s? Plus the civ market models that came along with, in both cases. Lots of both floating around out here. Tough call. Toss the wunder-9s into the equation. Could be any of the 3. The .40s are coming on strong due to their current LE popularity.
Old October 7, 2008, 08:37 AM   #13
Tommy Vercetti

my guess is the humble .22lr, distantly followed by the .38 special and the 9mm
Old October 7, 2008, 08:43 AM   #14
ChewToy

I don't even think I know someone who doesn't have a 9mm of some sort. But I couldn't even begin to know which handgun is the most popular. I know alot of people with glocks somewhere in their collection.
Old October 7, 2008, 08:48 AM   #15
ChewToy

Quote:
http://www.cato.org/pub_display.php?pub_id=9514

Cato suggests that it is the 1911 design by Browning, manufactured by dozens of companies, chambered in .45acp.

Quote:
The most common handgun in the United States is the Colt 1911 pistol, and the variants made by many other companies.

I didn't bother to read their citation, but I trust them. They just won in front of the Supreme Court WRT Heller, so I think they do good research.
While this may be true, does it really count when there are 20 different companies making this same design? I don't know how the DA revolver wouldn't win if this were the case...
Old October 7, 2008, 09:03 AM   #16
gb_in_ga

Quote:
Here in PK then most common handgun is a local made clone of chinese TT, and then perhaps the chinese TT itself.

Thus most common caliber here is .30 mauser.
FP -- I was just thinking about your initial post here, made an observation, and have a few questions for ya' --

> I notice that you mention that there are local made clones of the Chinese clone of the Tokarev (which is actually a Soviet design). How do those local clones of the TTs hold up? What kind of quality is there? I suspect that I know the answer already, but I figure that it's a question worth asking.

> Does that have any bearing on the type of ammo you cite? The ammo that the Tokarev is designed to use is 7.62x25mm Tokarev. Granted, .30 Mauser is compatible with 7.62 Tok but isn't as "hot". So -- is .30 Mauser popular because of general availability, or is it because the quality of the clones aren't up to running full strength Tokarev ammo?
Old October 7, 2008, 09:17 AM   #17
w_houle

I would think for as easy as they were to make, and for as commonly as they were made; I would think the .25 acp would get at least some mention.
Old October 7, 2008, 09:22 AM   #18
Smaug

9mm Luger followed by 40 S&W. 40 S&W is pretty much the standard caliber for police sidearms now.

Among hobbyist shooters like us, 45 and 38 have to be pretty high up too. 45 is losing popularity due to its expense. 38 is losing popularity because the young generation tends to prefer automatics. The ladies tend to favor 9mm & 38 Special to most others. Our army currently uses 9mm, but is considering going back to 45 I hear.

30 Mauser (same as 30 Luger, I believe) is a good, flat-shooting round and is known for good penetration but poor stopping power.
Old October 7, 2008, 09:25 AM   #19
Brian Pfleuger
Staff

I found this...

1- 9x17mm (9mm Browning, 9mm Short/Kurz, .380 ACP), FMJ
2 - 9x19mm (9mm Para, 9mm Luger, 9mm NATO), FMJ
3 - .40SW (.40 Smith & Wesson), JFP
4 - .45ACP (.45 Automatic Colt Pistole), FMJ
5 - .38 Special (.38 Smith & Wesson Special), JHP
6 - .357 Magnum, JHP
7 - .44 Magnum (.44 Remington Magnum), JHP

Here...

http://world.guns.ru/ammo/am01-e.htm

I hold no personal claim as to its accuracy. The list says "Most Common Ammo" I'd guess a correspondence to the guns they feed.
-The Architect
-----
He is no fool who gives what he can not keep to gain what he can not lose.
-Jim Eliott, paraphrasing Philip Henry.
Old October 7, 2008, 09:40 AM   #20
Lashlarue

According to FBI crime statistics more people are killed with the lowly 22.I have four 22s,one 357, two 9mm's and one 44mag.
Old October 7, 2008, 09:51 AM   #21
Keltyke

Quote:
The list says "Most Common Ammo" I'd guess a correspondence to the guns they feed.
In that list, the average gun capacity corresponds almost directly to the caliber.
Old October 7, 2008, 10:09 AM   #22
gb_in_ga

Quote:
The list says "Most Common Ammo" I'd guess a correspondence to the guns they feed.
There's a couple of things to note about that page you refer to.

> That site looks at the global situation, not just the U.S. For that matter, the site itself is Russian. In many places worldwide there's a ban on "military" calibers, and in those places 9x17 (.380 ACP) is legal and popular. Just because it is popular in other places in the world doesn't mean it's popular in the U.S. Like the O.P. points out, it seems that .30 Mauser is popular in Pakistan -- but how popular it that round here?

> I assert that the volume of ammo used in a particular caliber is not necessarily a good indicator of how popular that caliber is. As in, it is not indicative as to how popular the caliber is pertaining to gun ownership. For example -- what is the volume of .38 Spl ammo consumed here in the U.S.? Is that volume indicative of the number of revolvers out there in private hands? I'd say not. I'd venture to say that the vast majority of .38 revolvers out there are not shot on any regular basis -- in other words, they're not consuming ammo. I'd venture to say that the vast majority of them sit in sock drawers and in bedside tables -- loaded and ready to shoot back at home invaders, but haven't been shot in ages. And they'll sit there for ages to come -- passed down from generation to generation, from sock drawer to sock drawer. Thus, ammo popularity based on volume consumed isn't a very good indicator of the popularity of the round/gun. It tells you what is being shot (largely by enthusiasts), not what protects our households.
Old October 7, 2008, 10:31 AM   #23
Ala Dan
Member in memoriam

Most common handgun caliber here in the U.S. has too be the .22LR;
as just 'bout everyone owns a Ruger or Browning semi-auto and either
or a Ruger BearCat/Single-Six revolver~!

Not too mention all those cheaply made imports like F.I.E.'s, Titan's,
Clerke's, etc. that made their way across North America in the 60's,
70's, and 80's. :barf:
Old October 7, 2008, 11:01 AM   #24
Brian Pfleuger
Staff

Quote:
Most common handgun caliber here in the U.S. has too be the .22LR
I won't dispute that but it certainly doesn't pan out in my little part of the world. I have never personally known anyone who owned a .22 pistol.
-The Architect
-----
He is no fool who gives what he can not keep to gain what he can not lose.
-Jim Eliott, paraphrasing Philip Henry.
Old October 7, 2008, 11:15 AM   #25
gb_in_ga

Quote:
Most common handgun caliber here in the U.S. has too be the .22LR;
as just 'bout everyone owns a Ruger or Browning semi-auto and either
or a Ruger BearCat/Single-Six revolver~!
I guess I'm an oddball -- mine's a S&W.

Quote:
I won't dispute that but it certainly doesn't pan out in my little part of the world. I have never personally known anyone who owned a .22 pistol
I won't venture to guess how many reside in sock drawers, but I do know that they aren't represented all that well on the firing line, not around here at least and not back in Ga, either. Not as much as they should be, anyway. I'd venture that with the rising cost of ammo that will change. One thing I do notice is that there seems to be a reluctance amongst new shooters to buy a .22, even as a beginner's gun, even though a good case can be made for that being the smartest selection. Too much testosterone, too much desire for instant gratification, too much desire to impress their buddies, too much desire to be cool and follow the current fads, too much reading of gun rags, too little awareness of the need to build a foundation of good habits that comes from practice.