The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old October 2, 2008, 07:47 PM   #1
cchardwick

Marlin 1895 Lever Action Black Powder?

Hi, I'm new to the whole black powder thing, but does anyone know if I can load my 45-70 ammo with black powder to shoot in my Marlin 1895 lever action rifle? I know the 45-70 was originally desinged for using black powder.

Old October 2, 2008, 07:55 PM   #2
darkgael

BP in a Marlin

Can you? Yes, you can. Will they be accurate? Yes, they will if assembled properly. Will the gun get dirty? Yes, it will...and that's the turn off for many shooters.
I used to load BP into .38/357 cases to shoot in a little Rossi carbine. Just wanted to see how they worked (They worked, once I figured out how to load the cartridges properly). Clean up, especially compared to a muzzleloader or even to a BP revolver was somewhat of a chore.
The gun doesn't easily breakdown and so you have to be very thorough about cleaning and drying.
Pete
Old October 2, 2008, 07:56 PM   #3
Raider2000

I would think it'd be fine to shoot .45-70 with Black Powder & lead projectiles through it, just be sure to use a good natural lube on the bullets like SPG or some home made stuff like 50/50 Bees Wax & Crisco so to keep the fouling down & soft.

To clean it I'd do what I do with all my C&B Revolvers.
Take the wood off, open the action, & then place the action breach first into a bucket of hot soapy water, run a patch & maybe a brush through the bore like you would with a muzzleloader to clean the fouling out of the barrel, then once out of the water use WD-40 to displace the water & what soot may be in the action & then oil the action where you can get it into it & let it sit for a bit then wipe it down & reassemble the wood to the rifle.

I'd only fully strip the rifle once every 6-12 months.

Been doing that with all my C&B Revolvers for over 25 years & so far I've never had any problems with it & outside of a few normal wear & tear items "hand spring for instance" all the parts still look clean & new.
Old October 2, 2008, 08:04 PM   #4
cchardwick

I was just wondering if I could use the Marlin 1895 for muzzleloading / black powder deer season? Anyone have any BP load data for this?
Old October 2, 2008, 08:11 PM   #5
Raider2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by cchardwick
I was just wondering if I could use the Marlin 1895 for muzzleloading / black powder deer season? Anyone have any BP load data for this?
I'm almost positive about this but since your rifle even though it is shooting black powder loads it is still conciddered a cartridge firearm & is not conciddered a muzzleloader for hunting during the special Muzzle Loading seasons.
Old October 2, 2008, 08:17 PM   #6
Coltdriver

The original 45 70 round was 70 grains of black powder under a 405 grain bullet. These are great rounds to shoot and they dropped thousands of buffalo.

Do a little homework before you create these because it is important to have no air gap or loose powder in these cartridges. I made them using a drop tube so that the powder packed in tight and was just slightly snugged by the bullet. Like all black powder they are a bit dirty.

Unless your state rules specifically allow black powder in a cartridge then you probably can not use it in black powder season. The 45 70 black powder round is excellent out to 100 yards and much farther if you know the ballistic curve of the bullet and it will sure work during regular hunting season.
Old October 5, 2008, 03:39 AM   #7
darkgael

BP

"if I could use the Marlin 1895 for muzzleloading / black powder deer season"
Obviously it ain't a muzzleloader and I believe that most states are referring to MLs when they reference BP hunting season.
Taken from the Long range BPCR target shooters - many of them place a "grease cookie" between the bullet and the powder. This is simply two of Walter's Wads (or similar) with an 1/8" of beeswax between them.
Pete
Old October 5, 2008, 09:52 AM   #8
Jim Watson

You could in Mississippi:

"...cartridge breechloaders of a design (or reproduction) originating prior to 1900 with external hammers certainly finds favor with this deer hunter. I already use my replica Sharps Buffalo Rifle to deer hunt, so now I can use it during the primitive weapon season, too. This rule puts a smile on my face.

Some confusion on the details of this rule is circulating around though about the types of powder required. The current ruling allows for the use of smokeless powder in these cartridge rifles."

At first they did not allow repeaters, but I think they may now do so. Best be sure before you take to the woods, though.

Last edited by Jim Watson; October 5, 2008 at 11:01 AM.
Old October 5, 2008, 04:47 PM   #9
cchardwick

I just looked up the regs for Colorado, "Cannot be loaded from the breech in muzzleloading seasons." Looks like I'm out of luck, unless I use black powder during regular rifle season.
Old October 5, 2008, 07:33 PM   #10
Raider2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by cchardwick
I just looked up the regs for Colorado, "Cannot be loaded from the breech in muzzleloading seasons." Looks like I'm out of luck, unless I use black powder during regular rifle season.
What's wrong with that?
I use my muzzleloader during the regular gun season here all the time, my poor 12Ga. hasn't seen blood from it's shells in a loong time but then again it hasn't seen much paper in over a yera either.
Old October 6, 2008, 03:54 AM   #11
Hawg

Jim unless something has recently changed they still have to be single shot. Haven't really got time to check the MDWF site this morning. I do know they lowered the caliber rating to .35 this year allowing use of cartridges like the .35 Whelen.