The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Closed Thread

Old September 28, 2008, 02:41 PM   #1
BILLDAVE

.17 Remington and Coyotes

Just wondering how folks think about this cartrige. Not the rimfire types. Looking at doing some coyote hunting. Thoughts feelings? Thanks in advance. And looking for a manufacture if it is better than Remington.
BILLDAVE

Last edited by BILLDAVE; September 28, 2008 at 03:33 PM. Reason: Adding last sentence.
Old September 28, 2008, 05:10 PM   #2
Scorch

Back when I was 18, a friend and I went out with his uncle's 17 Remington to shoot at fuzzies, mostly ground squirrels. We accidentally spotted a coyote (we had no idea what we were doing, so it was an accident that we saw it) at close to 250 yds and he shot at it. The 3rd shot hit the coyote and dropped it at maybe 350 yds. When we got up to it, we discovered that the bullet had destroyed one hind leg and blown up in the coyote's guts. Messy, but very authoratative, in our limited experience. We spent the rest of the afternoon trying to connect with ground squirrels at various ranges out to probably 1/4 mile with moderate success. What we learned was:
* If the wind is blowing, it's hard to hit a small target beyond about 200 yds with the 17 Remington. On calm days, it could probably be good to 400 yds.
* When you do hit what you are shooting at, the bullet disintegrates, which can be quite impressive on small targets.
* The barrel on a 17 Remington fouls after about 15 rounds, and accuracy varies (not that we were good shots back then). This was more of an issue with older rifles than today from everything I hear, due to barrel quality and bullet design and construction.
* Factory ammo was essentially unavailable, except at gun shops, so once we were out of ammo we were done.

All in all, I hesitate to recommend a 17 Remington for varminting except where shots are relatively unaffected by wind. Heavier 22-cal bullets are better at bucking the wind.
Taylor Machine
Old September 28, 2008, 07:45 PM   #3
George Hill
Staff Alumnus

I've seen several coyotes hit with the .17 Remington and the new .17 Remington Fireball. If the bullet is a little heavier, it does great and causes massive shock. If it's lighter, the bullets shatter so fast, the wound can be quite shallow and not penetrate into the vitals for a clean kill. I watched one coyote run away from a hit, trailing his intestines behind it for over 200 yards. It was a horror show. Bullet fragments were found just under the skin at the entrance wound... or should I say "the wound" because there was no exit wound. Couldn't find the rest of the bullet either. It just evaporated.
The accuracy - went not fouled - is astonishing. And that little rice grain is so fast, the critter is hit before you even knew the trigger broke.
The .17 Fireball could be just about the funnest cartridge on the planet.
I wish CZ made a 527 in it.
Old September 28, 2008, 10:06 PM   #4
bottom rung

I have looked into the varminting rigs a lot. It seems that the general consensus concerning the centerfire .17s is that they run out of steam fast and are easily pushed by the wind. The bullets are light so they lose velocity at a faster rate than larger and heavier bullets. Being so light, the wind can have some very serious negative effects. Personally, a .22 centerfire is as small as I would go. A .17 will still kill a coyote, but it might not be the best choice. Good luck, Steve
Old September 28, 2008, 10:30 PM   #5
butta9999

I agree with Scorch and the rest. I have a friend that had a .17 rem, its great on rabbits and foxes here in Australia but when there is no wind. If the breeze ever pushed beyond the 10 knots mark we would pack it away. Too much guess work came into hitting the target. I dont know how big coyotes are compared to our red fox but a fox never took off from a hit.

Penetration was not the best but it did not matter on the smaller varmints. In the end my mate sold it and bought a .220 swift which shoots fantastic. We use 50gr ballistics for the smaller stuff, and have used 60gr partitions to take several good pigs and goats.

In my limited experience i think the .22 cals are much more suited to long range varminting. I own a .222 in an old Rem 788 and i love it. I have achieved shots out to 270yds with this little .22 which to me is the limit. Have hit rabbits and crows much further with my mates .220 swift in Rem 700
Old September 29, 2008, 12:34 PM   #6
texastweeter

www.coyotegods.com look into these guys. They are all about some .17 and coyotes. Im a member or www.predatormasters.com. but coyotegods know their stuff too.
Old September 29, 2008, 01:42 PM   #7
Frankyoz

In my opinion the .17 will ge the job done most of the time but isnt the most humane or ethical choice for me. I wont shoot coyotes with it, but I know others will.
Old September 30, 2008, 10:12 PM   #8
BILLDAVE

Thanks for all the great info!
BILLDAVE
Old October 1, 2008, 12:48 AM   #9
butta9999

If you go for the .17 BILLDAVE let us know how you go on your hunt.
Old October 1, 2008, 05:17 AM   #10
phil mcwilliam

A friend worked a few winters as a professional fox shooter back some 30 years ago. He used a Sako 17 with a stainless barrel that he would change after every season. As he was shooting for skins, all shots were head shots taken while using a rest. If it was too windy he wouldn't shoot as heavier "wind-bucking" calibers would ruin the skins. I've seen him drop many foxes at distances up to 300 yards, almost always shooting them through the eye. My friend earned a lot of money shooting for skins back then & could afford any rifle/caliber to make his living & chose the 17. I have also seen the 17 used on feral goats with good results with head & neck shots, but the 17 is not to be recommended for chest shots for goat size animals upwards in my experience. Should be fine for coyotes.
Old October 1, 2008, 07:38 AM   #11
Magnum Wheel Man

.17 Remington... I now have 2 rifles, & a 14" Contender barrel... that were my father in laws...

I pretty much agree with all thats been posted... my biggest complaints of the 17 Remington, are wind drift, fouling, barrel life, in that order... also I agree the Fireball "could" be a better round, if Remington decides to keep it active, however with the economy, & as slow as any other maufacturer is at picking up the cartridge in one of thier rifles, I suspect it'll be short lived, as far as commercial cartridges go ( of course handloading will always be an option )... I'd go as far as saying that the Fireball, while much more efficient than the 17 Remington, is still "too much"... I'm just getting going on loading for the 17 Hornet wildcat... mines a Kilborn improved, & my buddy is doing the same with an Akley improved 17 Hornet... IMO, these are much more practical cartridges, & as far as shooting larger varmints, the Fireball, & Hornet 17's don't give up much to the Remington... maybe 100 yards... but only on extremely calm days...

IMO, the .204 Ruger is a much better choice if your target of choice is coyote size, & your range is anywhere near 300 yards, & you are looking at one of the sub 22 calibers...

Also, IMO...these "explosive" bullets are great on smaller animals that someone is hunting, where they don't care about the hides... but if you plan on saving the hide from your quarry, you are better off with a well placed shot from a non explosive yet controlled expanding bullet from a 223 or even a 6mm, which would be less wind sensitive, & allow better shot placement, & a longer range of use...
Old April 6, 2010, 02:21 AM   #12
TOU

Quote:
I've seen several coyotes hit with the .17 Remington and the new .17 Remington Fireball. If the bullet is a little heavier, it does great and causes massive shock. If it's lighter, the bullets shatter so fast, the wound can be quite shallow and not penetrate into the vitals for a clean kill. I watched one coyote run away from a hit, trailing his intestines behind it for over 200 yards. It was a horror show. Bullet fragments were found just under the skin at the entrance wound... or should I say "the wound" because there was no exit wound. Couldn't find the rest of the bullet either. It just evaporated.
The accuracy - went not fouled - is astonishing. And that little rice grain is so fast, the critter is hit before you even knew the trigger broke.
The .17 Fireball could be just about the funnest cartridge on the planet.
I wish CZ made a 527 in it.

For George Hill: A little late maybe, but ...you may want to check this link.

Link: Letter to CZ-USA..RE: CZ 527 in .17 Fireball or .20 Fireball (VarTarg)????

ZBROJOVKA BRNO
Old April 6, 2010, 08:57 AM   #13
Art Eatman
Staff Lead

Better to PM George; more likely to be read.