The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old September 26, 2008, 05:47 PM   #1
ReadyOnTheRight

Does Anyone Use 9mm or .45acp for Hunting?

I often carry a .357 or .44 in the woods. They are both legal for deer in Minnesota and I like having a backup gun when I go deep into the woods. I had a bolt action rifle freeze on me once, but I still stayed out all day with my .44 mag.

Does anyone use .45acp or 9mm for hunting? It sure would be nice to carry a carry gun for hunting, but they just don't work for the northern Minnesota critters I hunt.

What do you hunt and what load do you use with 9mm or .45acp?
"Personal weapons are what raised mankind out of the mud, and the rifle is the queen of personal weapons. The possession of a good rifle, as well as the skill to use it well, truly makes a man the monarch of all he surveys." -Jeff Cooper, The Art of the Rifle-
Old September 26, 2008, 05:49 PM   #2
azredhawk44

My friend alternates between a .40S&W and .357 mag for javelina.

In the .40, he uses a 165gr JHP.
Old September 26, 2008, 05:54 PM   #3
kayakersteve

Yes, see old post...

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...d.php?t=271228
Old September 26, 2008, 10:58 PM   #4
Yellowfin

Not as a primary gun for it, but for defense against snakes and human threats. I have made it a point to carry while hunting upon hearing of others' experience with meth heads, pot growers, and other varieties of miscreants. 15 rounds of .40 coupled with 4 or 5 rounds of .30-06 or 5 broadheads should make life sufficiently difficult for any unintended encounters.
Old September 26, 2008, 11:51 PM   #5
JohnKSa
Staff

A TFL member named Boris Bush has posted some experiences he had hunting with various service pistol calibers including 9mm and .45ACP.
Old September 27, 2008, 12:29 AM   #6
T. O'Heir

Neither one are suitable for anything but small game and varmints.
"...had a bolt action rifle freeze on me once..." Oiled/greased in cold weather? There are greases/lubricants that don't harden in the cold. Otherwise, think bone dry.
"...made it a point to carry while hunting upon hearing of others' experience with meth heads, pot growers, and other varieties of miscreants..." You have a rifle. No hand gun is better.
Old September 27, 2008, 08:36 AM   #7
kayakersteve

I respectfully disagree..

While I would not recommend any shot with any weapon that is outside of one's comfort range and ability, The 45ACP certainly has enough power to dispatch a white tail deer humanily - I have done it and the deer succomed just as fast as they do with my slug gun - Speaking from experience, not speculation.
Old September 27, 2008, 08:56 AM   #8
Lashlarue

I have a 9mm carbine that with +P+ would probably take down east Texas size deer[they're pretty small] but my 1894S would do a much better job on game up to 300 lbs.Neither of those calibers 9mm or 45acp are legal in Texas to take deer, pistol or rifle.
Old September 27, 2008, 02:10 PM   #9
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
Neither of those calibers 9mm or 45acp are legal in Texas to take deer, pistol or rifle.
I'm not aware of any caliber limitations for hunting in TX other than the game regs state you can't use rimfire on: white-tailed deer, mule deer, desert bighorn sheep, and pronghorn antelope.

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/publicat...al/hunt/means/
Old September 27, 2008, 07:22 PM   #10
ReadyOnTheRight

Quote:
"...had a bolt action rifle freeze on me once..." Oiled/greased in cold weather? There are greases/lubricants that don't harden in the cold. Otherwise, think bone dry.
It was about 12 below zero. It was a weird day - it had been much warmer the night before. The first big temperature drop of the season, so I suppose everything was still relatively moist.

I never really understood why it froze because I keep my guns outside in the car when it's that cold to avoid condensation. I bet it WAS the oil, although I do keep it pretty dry (I use plain old Hoppes and Rem Oil). Thanks!

I was thinking Javelina would probably be the only animal for guns this size. Although the .45 is interesting for whitetail. It's allowed in Wisconsin, but not Minnesota.

Thanks for the stories!
"Personal weapons are what raised mankind out of the mud, and the rifle is the queen of personal weapons. The possession of a good rifle, as well as the skill to use it well, truly makes a man the monarch of all he surveys." -Jeff Cooper, The Art of the Rifle-
Old September 27, 2008, 07:41 PM   #11
Ssgt Savage

I always carry either one of my full sized 1911's or a 9mm for the old guys I hunt with so I can finish the kill for them rather than getting "hooved" to death.
I bought a S&W 460XVR this summer and can't wait to take it out as my primary weapon for a 50 yard or closer shot. It's a monster and I think I'll be strapping it on my thigh but it's an accurate SOB. I plan to add optics but not sure if I will go with an ACOG, simple pistol scope or a red dot type. Any suggestions on optics for my Dirty harry on steroids model?
Old September 28, 2008, 10:25 AM   #12
cat9x

Quote:
Neither of those calibers 9mm or 45acp are legal in Texas to take deer, pistol or rifle.
I'm not aware of any such law. You can legally hunt deer in Texas with the 17 Remington centerfire if you wanted to. Is it humane and/or ethical to hunt deer with a 9mm or .17 Remington? I think the answer is cut and dry.

Always put laws and ethics first!
Old September 28, 2008, 04:47 PM   #13
lee n. field

Quote:
Does anyone use .45acp or 9mm for hunting?
Heard of it happening. I think Stephen Camp has a picture on his site of a deer taken with a 9.

I don't hunt, and handgun hunting in this state is pretty much limited to big wheelguns.
Old September 28, 2008, 05:45 PM   #14
tex45acp

Unless the laws have changed you can hunt game with any centerfire cartridge in the state of Texas. Rimfire is the only no-no!!! I have hunted with everything from a 38special to a 454 Casull. I have taken a 14" spike with my Wilson CQB in 45acp, shooting a 265gr. LSWCHP, Keith Design. Took two steps after the shot and dropped like a stone. I have taken a Javelina, rabid Grey Fox, Coyote & 110lb. Schoat with my Hi-Power in 9mm.
I prefer to hunt with my Ruger Redhawk in .41mag. Many Whitetails, Mulies and a Spotter Fallow Deer have fallen to that gun/round combo.

From the TPWD Website:

Quote:
Means and Methods
Firearms
Game animals and game birds may be hunted with any legal firearm, EXCEPT:

white-tailed deer, mule deer, desert bighorn sheep, and pronghorn antelope may NOT be hunted with rimfire ammunition of any caliber.
shotguns are the only legal firearm that may be used to hunt Eastern turkey during the spring Eastern turkey season (see County Listing). Rifles and handguns may not be used to hunt Eastern turkey.
pellet guns and other air guns are NOT LEGAL.
fully automatic firearms are NOT LEGAL.
firearms equipped with silencers or sound-suppressing devices are NOT LEGAL.
a shotgun is the only legal firearm for hunting migratory game birds and lesser prairie chicken
tex45acp
Old September 28, 2008, 06:11 PM   #15
Nnobby45

I've seen posts on other forums where some have shot some good sized hogs with .45 ACP using a good JHP like Hornady's XTP. Good penetration is the key.
Old September 28, 2008, 06:16 PM   #16
45Marlin carbine

yes, I have taken deer and wild hog with my Camp Carbines - a 9mm and .45acp. with handloads useing Power Pistol and Golden Sabre slugs. filled a doe tag with a base of neck shot (9mm - dropped kicking, I gave it another base of skull) and took the hog (about 250lb live weight) with a shot right on the eyebrow that knocked off a sizeable chunk of skull. DRT.
if useing a handgun to hunt big game w/in N.C. must be 6" or over barrel and .38 cal or larger. I hunt squirrel/rabbit (or have sometimes not all the time) with my Ruger slab-side .22LR.
I hunt w/all my guns except combat-type (or PD if you prefer) sidearms.
Old September 28, 2008, 06:23 PM   #17
bj426

As Of 2008:

"A person may take big game witha firearm only if the rifle, shotgun, or handgun used is at least .220 caliber and with center-fire ignition."

per MN hunting regulations book.... no more "big brother" caliber restrictions. more of a "don't be stupid, use your judgement" mentality - within reason.
Old October 2, 2008, 04:48 PM   #18
Jager78

I also hunt for whitetail deer in Northern Minnesota and have a question for follow deer hunters in Minnesota.
Is it legal to carry a handgun and rifle out in the field at the same time?
(Of legal caliber to take big game of course)

Someone had told me that this is not so?

"Live to Hunt, Hunt to Live"

Winchester 94 .30-30
Ruger Mini-30 7.62x39mm
Weatherby Vanguard .300 WBY Mag
Old October 2, 2008, 05:01 PM   #19
countryrebel

I have used and have seen large deer taken with 40sw, 9mm, and 45acp.
Old October 2, 2008, 06:24 PM   #20
Deaf Smith

Sure. .45 ACP, but... it's from a Smith 625 and I use .45 Supers instead of .45 ACPs.

The revolver IS chambered for the .45 ACP, but the supers give a bit more than any regular .45, +p included.
Old October 2, 2008, 06:56 PM   #21
alloy

might be off target here but the states ive handgun hunted in had requirements as to caliper and barrel length. i think deer in GA was a minimum of .357 in a X inch barrel for instance, but that was years ago.

might be something to check if you are going into public forest.
Old October 2, 2008, 07:51 PM   #22
Webleymkv

Stephen Camp seems to think that a 9mm is adequate for javelina

http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/Sig9mm.htm
Old October 2, 2008, 08:13 PM   #23
bj426

Yes, in MN

Its ok to have multiple legal means of taking game on your person.

IT IS NOT OK to have a handgun on your person while archery hunting for deer. Exception is made for bear hunting.
Old October 2, 2008, 09:12 PM   #24
Jager78

Thanks bj426,
Thats what I thought. Looks like my next handgun will be a Ruger Blackhawk in .44 Mag with a 7 1/2 inch barrel.

Should of had one two years ago when a nice size buck suddenly appeared at my 5 o' clock about 30 yards out.
I didn't want to risk standing to turn around with my rifle which may half spooked it. If I would of had a handgun I might of had a chance!

He must have sensed I was there because after a minute passed he went back to the road walked about a hundred and fifty yards down the road and entered back into the thick brush to go around me. I know this cause after I got down from my stand I followed the fresh tracks that he left.
Smart old buck!

Next time... next time...
Old October 2, 2008, 10:18 PM   #25
Niantician

I like when this question comes up, and people say that they would not trust a 9mm for hunting pig or deer. But they're the first to defend it as a good "man stopper" on another thread. I wouldn't trust any round that can't take down a pig. Stick a 200lb. guy in a leather jacket and they're pretty similar. Exept pigs don't shoot back. And I know there's a difference between SD and hunting since in hunting you're looking for a quick kill not just knockdown, but really....