The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 25, 2008, 10:42 PM   #1
Anaxis

Uncommon/Rare Norinco Model-213?

My stainless-steel Norinco 213 (9mm) seems to be a very uncommon here in the States. And as of yet, the only particular information I've found is that they were imported for a single year only (87 or 88), and only by a single importer; SportArms Miami, and may have been sold to other dealers from there.

Has anyone here seen one of these elsewhere (if for-sale, how much?), or have any information on numbers manufactured/imported?

From what others have said, is that it's brushed chrome; although I'm pretty sure it's stainless, as I've not found any spots where chrome is flaking/scratched through anywhere inside/outside of the pistol or bare metal.
I'm not big on chrome/stainless/nickled handguns, but I simply couldn't pass up this particular Norinco... especially since the Tokarev bug had bitten just prior to me finding it.
It was hiding on the bottom shelf/back of the used handgun case at my favorite gun-dealer, amongst a bunch of used Beretta mouse-guns & 92s, Charter Arms revolvers, Sig P225/6s, and the odd Walther PPK.... all of them with price-tags substantially more than the Norinco's.

I'm kinda kicking myself for firing it, as when I bought it I could find no signs that it had ever been fired. Odd, as it didn't have the standard full-flap holster, cleaning rod, & spare magazine that "new" Tokarevs & Norincos come with..... although I vaguely remember maybe the store owner stating that earlier someone had bought the holster seperate...
Old September 25, 2008, 10:50 PM   #2
B.N.Real

You are very lucky.

Those pistols are supposed to be very accurate.

And that is the best looking Norinco I have ever seen.
Old September 26, 2008, 02:52 PM   #3
Anaxis

Well, thank you sir. I figured that for once I made a good score instead of reading about other people's awesome finds. I still would like to know how uncommon of a score it is, and how much to tell my insurance company it's worth.

It is an accurate handgun, although it has the Tokarev tendancy to naturally shoot low. I don't mind though, as it makes doubles & Mozambique drills easier because it is less likely that rounds will fly too high.
Old September 26, 2008, 03:01 PM   #4
Tom2

The color of nickel, stainless and presumably chrome plate are a little different when seen side by side. Get a stainless gun and see how closely the colors match. OK how about this test-isn't stainless steel supposed to be less magnetic than regular steel? Get a good small magnet and compare the pull on that gun as compared to a blued steel gun or something else steel. Will that work? If it is plated, sometimes there are flaws in the plating on the inside of the gun. It might be collectable but the Toks are not what I personally find to be a desireable collectable. But get some ammo and have fun with it. Give us a shooting report.
Old September 27, 2008, 09:05 PM   #5
Anaxis

I've been collecting Russian/Soviet rifles & handguns for almost a year now, having started with the ubiquitous Mosin Nagant and soon after acquiring an M1895 Nagant revolver. I had considered getting a Tokarev TT-33 briefly, but instead concentrated on filling my collection with different Mosin Nagant models. Only after I noticed the prices of Tokarevs rapidly rising, and them becoming scarcer from the regular internet C&R dealers and private sellers, did I decide that it'd be good to get a TT-33 while I still could find one & afford it. So I bought a Polish TT-33 variant, the Radom Wz48, from another collector on Gunboards.com. It was a standard 7.62x25mm model, and I was highly impressed with the design's simplicity, toughness, and aesthetics. But I didn't intend on getting another Tokarev, having added one to my collection which I thought was enough. Yet when I saw the Norinco at my favorite gun-dealer, it's highly attractive price-tag, and it's near-mint condition, I couldn't say no.

It's not been plated, as there's no evidence of flaws/flaking on any internal surfaces, and any deeper scratches do not show a different metal beneath. I've tried the magnet test, and from all the other information I've found on the differences between nickle/chromed/stainless, this Norinco is indeed stainless steel.

Since I bought the 213 I've fed it well over 1000 rounds of various types, both new & surplus; standard FMJ, FMJTC, LTC, JHP, LHP, SWC, LRN, & JSPs. In shooting that many rounds, the Norinco has only failed to feed 3 times, and that was due to the follower catching inside on the magazine's release-notch. A quick trip to the dremel fixed that problem, while at the range the immediate action of a quick slap on the bottom of the magazine un-stuck the follower. The only other issue was when the extractor pin started backing out during my first time firing it. After tapping it back in, the pin hasn't budged since.

In deciding on which cartridge to use for carry purposes I tested;
Federal - Premium 147/124gr. HydraShok & 105gr. EFMJ
Speer - 124gr. +P Gold-Dot
Hornady - 124gr. XTP
Remington - 124gr. Golden Sabre
Corbon - 115gr. DPX & 100gr. Pow'R'Ball

The Norinco 213 had no difficulties whatsoever in feeding, firing, extracting any JHPs, or any other ammo types. In the end, I chose the Federal PPD 147gr. HydraShok for daily carry. Recoil is almost negligible with standard-pressure loads, and is still very managable with heavier +P cartridges. However, I'm not a big fan of +P 9mm rounds for self-defense as I want to avoid overpenetration, even with good expansion in a premium JHP.

I'm going to buy a spare 9mm barrel soon and rechamber it for 9x23 Win. There are supposedly .38 Super barrels available for Tokarevs, but I've not seen one for sale yet. However, the 9x23 Win approaches the .357 Mag's punch, and the Tokarev's design can more than handle the load's power, so the Norinco 9x23 Win Model-213 will become my regularly carried sidearm.... that is, until I get my S&W Model-327 TRR8.
Though the 213 only carries 8+1 rounds, is single-action, is a full-size autoloader, and doesn't have the means to attach high-zoot accessories; I love it's reliability, comfort, and it's slender frame/slide. While it's not the most accurate semiauto I've shot, it's accuracy is more than adequate out to 40yds. And even if it's not a high-value collector's piece, it's still unusual enough to make me happy that it's a part of my collection (and make other Tokarev collectors a little jealous ), and the price I paid for it was extremely reasonable.
Old September 27, 2008, 09:12 PM   #6
B. Lahey

How do you plan to carry it?

I don't think I would trust the goofy afterthought safety for condition one carry, condition two also seems like a bad idea, so empty chamber?
Old September 28, 2008, 04:04 AM   #7
Anaxis

I've been carrying ever since I bought it, and I mainly OC. When out & about it's in condition-one w/ safety engaged, and while at home I carry in condition three. I never deviate from always having the safety on while carrying, as I want to avoid forgetting it's on when every milisecond counts, and because the safety isn't as ineffectual as some think.... hell, it's better than nothing.
Norinco Tokarev-clones have the manual safety on every one manufactured, not just the ones made for export, so it's not an as much as an afterthought as the wart-like safeties found on Eastern European TTs are.
The Norinco safety disconnects the trigger from sear, while the E. European version blocks the trigger. The Tokarev design has a half-cock safety as well. The half-cock will catch the hammer without constant & adequate pressure on the trigger for its initial & only sear release. The half-cock notch on the hammer is deep and the only way the hammer can make it past the notch is if the sear or hammer is sheared off; which is extremely unlikely to happen without serious abuse, and in which case firing would be negligent instead of accidental.
Some are quite nervous about carrying a Tokarev TT-33 cocked & locked, and I had some reservations at first. But after completely disassembling the handgun & really getting to know the design's mechanisms, I have complete confidence carrying it condition one. Besides, with just 8-rounds in the magazine, that extra round could make a helluva difference.

But is the Norinco 213 my first choice as a self-defense, daily carry handgun? Not at all. I'd much rather have a Magnum revolver, preferrably one with a 7 or 8 round cylinder like the .357 S&W Model-627 or Model-327 TRR8, a Taurus Model-66 or Model-627; or the Ruger SP-101 and Charter Arms Patriot in .327 Magnum. But the Norinco is all I've got right now.... well, besides my other TT-33 which is a 7.62x25 model and my M1895 Nagant in 7.62x33R, neither of which are optimal SD cartridges.... although the 7.62x25 is a very hot round and does pretty well with JHPs, it's still not as good as a 9x19 JHP.
Old October 4, 2008, 08:22 PM   #8
Teggy7

Model 213

I have the 213, not sure how many were made but I have seen the serial numbers from 31232x to 60984x. Purchased mine new from a pawn shop in early 80's, looks a good as the one in your pics
Old October 4, 2008, 09:39 PM   #9
HeroHog

I had one in two-tone with a thumb-rest grip. It came in 9mm with the 7.62x25 kit. I bought it way back when I was a dealer pre-Bill<spit!>Klinton. I looked all over for a .38 super kit to complet the trio but never got one and sold/traded it off. It was VERY accurate and I used it to qualify for the, back then, VERY hard to get Louisiana CCW permit.
Old December 24, 2011, 12:23 PM   #10
Exjarhead74

Can anyone help?

I bought my Norinco Mdl 213, 9mm semiauto pistol about 10 years ago and have recently been searching for tech information of it and have hit a brick wall, until now. I am interested in finding a site/gun dealer that I can purchase replacment parts, if needed and accessories; holsters, replacment grips, etc. Any help will be appreciated. Thank!
Old September 20, 2012, 10:18 PM   #11
sixpt1

I have one of these pistols that I bought in a pawn shop in the early 90's S/N 20689x. I like the gun and it shoots great.
Old September 20, 2012, 10:31 PM   #12
Winchester_73

I wonder how many rounds the OP put through his Norinco in the last 4 years since this thread was started...
Old March 24, 2014, 01:56 PM   #13
mr bolo

stainless Norinco M213 used in HARD BOILED 1992 movie

http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Hard_Boiled

I have this movie in my dvd collection and it has some excellent Tokarev action shoot out scenes, including the stainless and the blued versions of this pistol

http://www.imfdb.org/images/7/7c/HBTT33-8.jpg
Old March 24, 2014, 02:08 PM   #14
tipoc

This thread started in 2008. Picked up again in 2012 and again now.

tipoc
Old March 24, 2014, 02:17 PM   #15
Sevens

That's genuine math right there!
But then... how many different or new threads do we need on a stainless (or brushed chrome?) Norinco T213?

I know people have some kind of crazy hate for old threads that get bumped, but it sure makes an awful lot more sense than having 4 different threads on a gun that hardly gets any discussion, and all four threads being separated by 6 years of time. So I suppose I don't see why it matters. The post is an on-topic addition to the discussion.

I have a regular old blued T213 and I had a whole lot of fun with it... until I broke it. The disconnector snapped in two and I lost half of it. Now the gun falls to half-cock with each shot. So it's a self-loading repeater that must be manually cocked for each shot until I find a way to snag some parts for it.

I hate to spend much money on these parts because I didn't spend much on the pistol itself. It's a neat curiosity, but I would love to make it run again some day. I'm unsure if the parts are "general" enough that any Tokarev or Tokarev clone in any caliber has the parts that I need.
Old March 24, 2014, 02:23 PM   #16
James K
Staff

Those Tokarev clones as well as the excellent 1911A1 copies made by Norinco were caught in a political hassle when George H.W. Bush imposed a ban on importation of handguns and "assault" weapons from China. As a result, only those in the country before that are around.

Jim
Old March 24, 2014, 03:03 PM   #17
tipoc

Quote:
That's genuine math right there!
You confused on the concept of math it seems. Were ya talking to me or Winchester 73 from 2012?

Quote:
I know people have some kind of crazy hate for old threads that get bumped, but it sure makes an awful lot more sense than having 4 different threads on a gun that hardly gets any discussion, and all four threads being separated by 6 years of time. So I suppose I don't see why it matters.
Matters to you apparently. You got some irrational "crazy hate" for folks that note how far back some folk go in digging up old threads?

I didn't object to it's being revived, I just noted it was four times revived.

tipoc

Tags
norinco , norinco 213 , norinco type-54 , tokarev tt-33 , tt-33