The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old September 18, 2008, 07:03 PM   #1
sholling

Romanian SKS

Any thoughts on the Romanian SKS. I'm in the Peoples Republic of Kalifornia and the only SKSs that our commissars allow are ones without the grenade launcher attachment. It looks like the Romanian version will fit the bill without being butchered and Century claims that it is PRK legal. They claim VG condition and a milled receiver and trigger group. The $299 price is about $100 less than a rough condition de-evil-featured SKS goes for here. It would be my first SKS. Thoughts?
Old September 18, 2008, 07:17 PM   #2
Stagger Lee

An SKS is an SKS is an SKS. Nothing wrong with the Romanian ones. I've got one or two around here somewhere myself. They're good range toys, even if they are like mopeds...kind of fun, but you hope that no one you know sees you with one.
Old September 18, 2008, 10:02 PM   #3
cosmolinelover

Honestly I prefer the SKS's without the grenade launchers at the end, or bayonets for that matter. Yugo's I'm looking at you.

Since most of us probably don't have access to rifle grenades anyway, the launcher amounts to just unnecessary weight to the end of the gun. These days, especially in CA, thats probably a reasonable price for an SKS of that type.
Old September 18, 2008, 10:11 PM   #4
sholling

All of the Yugos that I saw had grenade launchers. In fact the only other non-demilled that I've seen advertised with the so called chinese paratrooper and they aren't C&R.
Old September 18, 2008, 10:13 PM   #5
jdc1244

I’ll come to the defense of the Yugo…

If you’re not hunting with it the weight is not an issue. It’s a fun range gun and the weight can be an asset when shooting off bags, which is how I shoot mine. Besides, my Russian SKS is not much lighter.

And I have no problem being seen with my SKSs at the range; for some odd reason most of my fellow shooters have never seen one and they become subjects of conversation.
Old September 24, 2008, 03:19 PM   #6
sholling

Thanks to all for their help! Any tips or tricks? Other than I good cleaning and (if needed) a trigger job I plan to keep it as purchased. It's going to be mainly a plinker but will do double duty backing up my M1A and custom Mini-14 for home protection.
Old October 3, 2008, 09:51 PM   #7
sholling

Well I finally got my hands on my SKS and got her all cleaned up. The stock is in pretty good shape for its age. All cleaned up the bore looks very good. All of the numbers that I've found so far match What surprised me is the trigger. It's long of course but it breaks at just over 5lbs. I won't have a chance to shoot it before Tuesday but I have a pile of Silver Bear ready to go.