The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 18, 2008, 03:16 PM   #1
Eastwood

AMT firearms

I'm new here and have an interest in the AMT line for firearms. As such, I've noticed a number of posters seeking information on AMT's.

A really comprehensive source of information is available on line at:

www.glossover.co.uk/amt/

Surf thru the site for lots of data ........... and you can download the owners manuals for nearly all the AMT firearms for FREE. This is the ONLY location I've found for production numbers too.

AMT started in California by Harry Stanford and they were mfg in Irwindale, ElMonte, Arcadia, and Covena. AMT did go thru several name changes as IAI, OMC, etc. for whatever reason. IT should also be noted that many believe Ruger sued and won a lawsuit against AMT over the AMT 22 Lightning semi-auto pistol (very similiar to the Ruger MK1) when, in fact, Mr. Ruger did not want to injure another firearm mfg so they worked out an agreement so AMT continued to mfg the AMT Lightning pistol.

Toward their 'end' in California, the name was changed to Galena Enterprises, Inc. Shortly thereafter they moved their operation to Sturgis South Dakota but went bankrupt about a year or so later. The actual bankruptcy sale bill is posted on the web site at www.glossover.co.uk/amt/ to view.

High Standard acquired the rights and equipment to mfg and market the AMT line of firearms. They are now in production and the line currently being produced is shown on line at: www.highstandard.com. Parts for those models currently being mfg are available from High Standard.

I trust some will find this information of use ....... as much as I find information posted on this site of use too.
Old September 18, 2008, 06:25 PM   #2
Sevens

Have you been on Gunbroker recently? Harry Sanford's son is selling a number of odd/rare AMT items and has been over the last month or more. Each item has a bunch of pictures and pretty decent description. Even if you aren't in the market for spending a lot of dough, they are very interesting auctions to read.

Myself, I have an AMT Hardballer Longslide .45. It's been very good to me. You'll find on this site and similar discussion forums (THR, 1911, etc) these guns don't garner very good reviews. Most folks that bother to talk about them cuss them up one side and down the other. It's a shame, IMO, not only because I actually have one and shoot it every single time I get to the range (which is about once a month on average), but also because of the different things that Harry Sanford brought to the world of firearms.

If you enter "AMT" in to the search engine here you'll find a few of my posts with regards to my Longslide. I'm fond of it, but I don't kid myself in to thinking it's more than it really is. It's not one of the better 1911's in the history of the platform, but it sure has been a damn fine shooter for a lot of years and an awful lot of rounds. These days, I only feed it what I build for it, 200 grain LSWC. It's a good pistol and there's really nothing else quite like it out there.
Old September 18, 2008, 06:26 PM   #3
rogertc1

I have a OMC .380 back up, AMT Auto mag 2 in .22 Magand a AMT 45 back up in my collection. The OMC was one of the first stainless steel semi-autos to hit the market. I bought in 1976...I am getting old.
Old September 19, 2008, 10:30 AM   #4
Eastwood

Hi Sevens,

I've watched the AMT's 'twopapa' is selling on gunbroker. His dad, Harry, had acquired quite a selection along with the paperwork and articles associated with them. It has also been noticed, they are commanding some rather 'nice' prices which are beyond my reach. At last look, he has up the last of the AutoMags and it's is being offered for sale now with both barrels for the 44 AMP and 357 AMP w/assys. Maybe someday, I can acquire an AutoMag in the 44 AMP - a big maybe as the prices tend to increase annually.

Yes, I agree that the AMT in .45 are not well liked by some....mostly those with an affinity to the Colt 45 as many refer to them as clones of the Colt 45 - and after, many of the firearms on the market today are 'clones' of some forerunner in one fashion or another. But, to each their own opinion.

However, when shooting the Hardballer, the Hardballer Longslide, the .45 Combat or the Backup DOA in .45 -- all have performed as they should. I have found keeping the slide properly lubed is beneficial as the stainless steel used at the time could have been harder to eliminate the galling problem some have experienced.

Nice chatting and have a great day.
Old September 19, 2008, 10:33 AM   #5
Eastwood

Hi rogertc1,

I have not acquired one with the OMC stamp but have fired one with the IAI stamp. Performance was great.
Old September 29, 2008, 10:19 PM   #6
tanker

AMT .380 backup s/a

...I am the new kid on the block & not really sure how this works..But, whatever,I have just this wk.end,aquired a AMT.380 backup s/a @ a gun show and don't have any owner/parts manual for it. Where might I procure an Illustrated parts list for my "new to me" old mousegun???
Old September 29, 2008, 11:34 PM   #7
44 AMP
Staff

It took me ten years to get my first one

And I had to take out a personal loan, and that was 25 years ago! The gun cost more that the car I was driving at the time! It took another 10 years to get the second one. And the third about 3 years later. 2 .44s and a .357!

great guns, but not AMT
Old September 30, 2008, 09:10 AM   #8
Sevens

Quote:
...I am the new kid on the block & not really sure how this works..But, whatever,I have just this wk.end,aquired a AMT.380 backup s/a @ a gun show and don't have any owner/parts manual for it. Where might I procure an Illustrated parts list for my "new to me" old mousegun???
The first link in the first post in this thread will give you what you seek.

The poster of the link even said as much.
Old October 4, 2008, 12:30 AM   #9
dmazur

No s/a .pdf file for AMT Backup

I'd be interested in a .pdf owner's manual for the s/a model, too. (It's not on the site, just the DAO manual.)

Anyone know of a .pdf version?