The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old September 17, 2008, 07:27 PM   #1
zombie0hour

Grenade Launchers/RPGs

Wondering if these are at all legal and if one can be obtained and from where. I have always had a passion for things that go boom! If their is any legal way i can do it i might be able to pull off a very crude homemade one out of pvc pipe (more of a rpg thou). So comments about this?
Old September 17, 2008, 07:35 PM   #2
B. Lahey

40mm and RPG launchers are destructive devices, but you can have them if you go through the proper process and pay the tax. As I understand it, RPG rockets would also be considered destructive devices and would have to be individually registered and taxed the same as the launcher.

40mm grenades are a little different as you can get chalk rounds and big ol' buckshot rounds, I don't think you have to individually register that ammo (could be wrong). HE rounds I'm pretty sure are DDs on their own, the same as an HE-warhead rocket would be.

Those are all just my best guesses from skimming the laws, though. I'm pretty sure an authority on the subject will be around soon to give you a more precise answer, but ferchristsake don't build anything until you know for sure.
Old September 17, 2008, 07:39 PM   #3
zombie0hour

Edited
Old September 17, 2008, 07:41 PM   #4
B. Lahey

nevermind

Last edited by B. Lahey; September 18, 2008 at 12:50 AM. Reason: changed
Old September 17, 2008, 07:42 PM   #5
zombie0hour

An old Edit:m79 is actually my favorite grenade launcher.

Last edited by zombie0hour; September 17, 2008 at 08:31 PM.
Old September 17, 2008, 07:53 PM   #6
Hkmp5sd

Registered RPGs are very rare and therefore very expensive. You could make one yourself after going through the ATF process and getting permission. As stated above, each explosive round is also considered a DD and therefore has a $200 tax on it.

There are more grenade lauchers floating around. Last I heard, a registered M79 cost around $7,000.

Non-exploding practice grenades do not require the $200 tax stamp.

If you want something that goes boom, look into muzzle loading cannons and/or mortars. There is no federal registration for these. In some areas, making mortars that fire bowling balls is quite popular.

zombie0hour,

Your link is to a Striker 12 which is a 12-gauge drum-fed shotgun classified as a DD.
Old September 17, 2008, 08:03 PM   #7
zombie0hour

Wow i feel so stupid i thought it was a grenade launcher
Old September 18, 2008, 12:19 AM   #8
Johnny Guest
Moderator in Memoriam

Overall, this is probably not a good idea

You mention wanting to do it if there's any legal way. Well, yeah, probably so. If you really want to rig something like unto an RPG launcher, your first step is to obtain approval from the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives. You can Google up their home site and wend your way through. Under their forms, I'm pretty sure there's the form for obtaining status to construct a destructive device. I think you're looking at fees of thousands of dollars. I understand the BATFE doesn't just hand out here approvals casually. Making one of these devices from scratch is NOT the same as modifying some sporting firearm into a short barreled rifle or the like.

Another direction you might want to consider: At practically every gun show, there's someone selling "Flare Launchers" which resemble the grenade launcher that hangs beneath an M16 or M4. These will NOT launch M79 grenades. They have no accuracy, but you can have some fun, if that's the way you want to go.

You mention making something from PVC pipe. Do you have in mind simply launching fireworks rockets from a hand held launcher? This could probably be done easily, and even legally, so long as you shot only over-the-counter fireworks. (Again, no accuracy.) Then your only real concern would be flash burns and possible eye injury.

I'd like to wish you good luck, but, as above, it doesn't sound to me like its a really productive --or safe-- project.

Please, be safe, and stay on the right side of the law.

Best,
Johnny
Old September 19, 2008, 01:27 PM   #9
VUPDblue

Hmmmmm....

I thought that the RPG tubes were legal. I know there are some around and hell, you can even buy practice warheads for them that fire .22lr IIRC. I don't see why they would be regulated since the ammo would be nonexistant. Kind of like buying the LAW rocket tubes at the local funshow.

There was a M79 a few weeks ago on the EE over at Arf for $4200
Old September 19, 2008, 03:12 PM   #10
B. Lahey

I've seen the RPG launchers too, but I'm pretty sure they were non-functioning replicas.

I could be wrong as LAW tubes and whatnot are unregulated, but as I understand it those aren't really reusable.
Old September 19, 2008, 03:41 PM   #11
Hkmp5sd

RPG launchers are either de-milled or replicas. LAWS tubes have been declared non-weapons by ATF and are not regulated. You can get used LAWS tubes HERE for $450. You can buy a functional RPG7 launcher HERE (NFA Rules Apply).
Old September 19, 2008, 03:46 PM   #12
B. Lahey

$450?!?!?!?

When I was a kid I got one at a gunshow for something like $20. Wonder what happened to it...

Should probably round it up and sell it if they are going for that much.
Old September 19, 2008, 05:17 PM   #13
VUPDblue

I see...
It doesn't make much sense, though, that the LAW is not seen as a firearm, but the RPG is. Ammo is unavailable for either, but then again, nothing the BATFE does any more seems to make much sense...