The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old September 16, 2008, 07:46 PM   #1
Dangerwing

Best AR brand

Hey all,

I re-enlisted and got a good bonus!! Now its time to buy the AR I've always wanted before Osama, I mean Obama, cons millions into voting for him by simply repeating the words "Hope" and "Change" a thousand times.

Problem is, there are a MILLION options!! I know I want a M4 length/style. I dont need a carry handle because I will be mounting either an Eotech or Acog on top.

To make a long story short, who makes the best AR? Bushmaster? Rock River? Colt? S&W? Im willing to spend the $$$ for something a better (within reason) but don't know what better is! I don't want to buy a Toyota while thinking I'm getting a Porsche.

Only faithful men teach their wives to shoot.
Old September 16, 2008, 08:03 PM   #2
xtr

if you are looking to throw some money around try this:

http://www.dsarms.com/AR-CQB-MRP-Car...fo/DSZM4CQBCL/
Old September 16, 2008, 08:06 PM   #3
Wiskey_33

Quote:
I don't want to buy a Toyota while thinking I'm getting a Porsche.
Toyota will run longer.
Old September 16, 2008, 08:29 PM   #4
SGT-MILLER

See if you can get your hands on an HK 416. Operates with a piston versus the less reliable gas-impingment system of most other AR style rifles.

You can also check out DPMS. They make very good AR style rifles and can custom make them to your specs.
Old September 16, 2008, 08:32 PM   #5
wolfsgrin

Take a look at the SIG 556 for bells and whistles been saving myself for one.
Old September 16, 2008, 08:46 PM   #6
dfloomis

I would say the Noveske N4 or Knights SR-15 E3 if you can wait until more hit the market.
Old September 16, 2008, 09:00 PM   #7
oldcspsarge

Get the best M-4 used for long range contacts in the sand world....Les Baer Thinder Ranch AR. If you want the best...that"s it.

Best price : crazy John @ Proload distributors 208-772-2339

or www.proload.com
Old September 16, 2008, 09:40 PM   #8
bclark1

Depends on what "nice" is. Colt, RRA, DPMS, etc. are all "mass produced" but for the most part all the major brands will run well and shoot well, with most configurations from A2 to A4 coming in under $1000, a little more for Colt. S&W and Remington both have some recent offerings too, both of which are sort of niche-focused. They're "nice" by me, even though I'm looking to assemble one out of fancy parts at some point in the not-so-distant future. My current CAR-type is a commercial mix and it has operated flawlessly, at times on poor maintenance and the cheapest of ammo. That said, if I had the money, that doesn't mean I wouldn't buy something cooler.

On the "new" side, you've got your piston stuff. The HK416 is very cool, but certainly overpriced and not as unique as they'd have you believe. I only see one on Gunbroker right now and they're asking $6k :barf: for the upper, and it's an SBR kit - more money. A POF upper will put you in good shape on the piston front as well, you can find full-built POFs for a quarter of that HK price. I'm not sure about the compatibility with mil-spec parts, but the Sig 556 is another piston-based AR that is pretty good looking, you can find them at auction for about $1100 if you're willing to wait around. However, if I can justify the expenditure, I'm partial to Magpul's Masada, which will be available as the Bushmaster ACR early next year. A lot in common with the Sig 556, but some other cool features. Robinson XCR is another piston AR, probably costs about the same as the ACR will but available now.

In terms of more traditional AR's, a lot of the above and some others are some high-end, semi-custom options. Les Baer, Wilson, Noveske, LWRC, Knights, Sabre... I'm sure some others know more on this page because these are all sort of Neiman Marcus in terms of rifles and I'm chillin' at the grocery store. There are some other high-end parts manufacturers that you can buy uppers/lowers separately from and put it together, even if they don't sell complete rifles.

You can also talk all kinds of wierd calibers and such, but I'm assuming you're restricting to 5.56.

Anyway, spend well and show us what you end up with!
Old September 16, 2008, 10:12 PM   #9
ronl

If you have the money I'd look into the Robinson Armament XCR. I own one and like it much more than my Colt or Armalite AR's. Top quality piece of equipment and RA is really standing behind the weapon. If you have the funds I'd also get an additional barrel in 7.62x39. Only problem I had with mine was trying to run low power Wolf through it on low gas setting. Every other brand has run through it like a charm. You can change the gas setting in a few seconds so that's no problem. It sounds pricey at around $14-$1600 dollars, but by the time you buy a gas piston upper. lower, and a quad rail you end up spending more. Best of all, cleaning is a breeze. Wish you well in your search.
Old September 16, 2008, 10:29 PM   #10
littlmak

Just what do you expect to use it for? 1,000 yrd. prarie dogs? Chasing tin cans around a quarry? Competition shooting? How important is warranty service to you? That may make a difference in the answers you get.
Old September 17, 2008, 01:18 AM   #11
RockyMtnTactical

Noveske
Old September 17, 2008, 06:48 AM   #12
ringworm

they are all parts guns.
name one AR company that makes , in house, 100% of the parts.
Old September 17, 2008, 07:31 AM   #13
King Ghidora

Quote:
Toyota will run longer.
I wish that was as true as it once was. Toyota makes some real crap at times these days. The last 2 I've owned were genuine craptastic. One did last a long time but it drove like a covered wagon and it had less horsepower. The other was a 4Runner and should have been better but I put one engine in it and it blew within 10k miles. I drove it less than 20k miles and spent way too much money on it. The dang 4wd didn't even work for 18k of those miles. It was as craptacular as they get.

Toyota still makes some good stuff but at one time everything they sold was good. That's been a LONG time ago. Porsche isn't exactly reliable and they are expensive as heck to fix if they break. If I could find a 1983 Supra with a stick I'd buy it in a heartbeat but that's about the last good buy I got from Toyota even though mine was an auto. I drove a manual once and it was a much better car. I owned dozens of them in the 70's and 80's. Most were great but when our government started pressuring them things went downhill fast. The first Toyota I bought I got mad because the price went up from $3600 to $4000 within a couple of months and that was the brand new price in 1978. Within 5 years that same car cost almost $20k. Thank Uncle Sam for that.

Sorry for the off topic rant. I'm still ticked at what happened with my last Toyota. That thing hurt my family bad as far as our finances went. Now I'm driving Nissan and Mazda and Honda stuff. I don't think I've ever seen a bad Honda and the Mazda we have has been great. Had some good luck with Mitsubishi stuff too but not all of it.
Old September 17, 2008, 07:49 AM   #14
45_Shooter

Well, I gather you're in the military, the Colt 6920LE is as close as civvies can get to a military M4; mil-spec everything and it even has a true M4 bolt carrier in it. Only difference is the 16" barrel vs. 14.5", and semiauto fire control. You might be able to get the 6921LE if you're able to have an SBR, which would net you the 14.5" barrel. I've had excellent results with mine so far, very accurate for a carbine and 100% reliable.
Old September 17, 2008, 08:29 AM   #15
jsmaye

Quote:
Now its time to buy the AR I've always wanted before Osama, I mean Obama, cons millions into voting for him by simply repeating the words "Hope" and "Change" a thousand times.
IF (and that's a huge if) we have the short-sightedness to elect BHO, and if the Clown Congress of 2009 does submit, pass, and enact a Gun Control Bill, you'll still have almost a year to decide what to get.
Old September 17, 2008, 03:56 PM   #16
Caeser2001

noveske, colt, lmt.
Old September 17, 2008, 04:04 PM   #17
Caeser2001

Quote:
IF (and that's a huge if) we have the short-sightedness to elect BHO, and if the Clown Congress of 2009 does submit, pass, and enact a Gun Control Bill, you'll still have almost a year to decide what to get.
why a year? even so, prices would skyrocket.
Old September 17, 2008, 04:50 PM   #18
RT

Colt, Noveske, LMT

I would decide on the complete lower that I wanted and have it shipped to my FFL, then decide on the exact upper I wanted and have it shipped to my house. Add a charging handle, some PMags, flip up BUIS, and a bolt carrier group.
I personally just bought a LMT carbine with a 14.5 inch barrel with a pinned Vortex flash hider on a standard LMT lower. If I decide to add a rail, I am gonna put a Daniel Defense Omega rail.

http://www.lewismachine.net/catalog.php
http://www.noveskerifleworks.com/
http://www.sabredefence.com/

Hope that helps.
Old September 17, 2008, 09:37 PM   #19
TheManHimself

Best? Colt, Noveske, BCM, or LMT. The only ones that are made to the correct specs the military TDP (Technical Data Package) calls for, sans auto-sear pin hole. Everyone else cuts corners in the name of low price, and those corners that are cut affect reliability significantly. That HPT/MPI and shot peening of the bolt doesn't sound so important, until your Bushmaster's bolt snaps cleanly in half with less than 500 rounds through it (Personally witnessed that one at the range). Neither does the carrier key staking, until your DPMS gas key comes loose and tears the hell out of the inside of the upper receiver (Seen that one several times, too). Remember - there's no manufacturing standards other than the TDP, and if a company's not building in accordance with the TDP, they're following no standard.

Edit: If you can't scrape together the cash for one of the above, the S&W MP15 is made to spec where it counts. AFAIK the only substandard part about the M&P15s is the barrel steel, and I've never heard of 4140 vs. milspec CMV causing a problem except in sustained FA applications.
Old September 18, 2008, 01:11 PM   #20
jbalazs

Noveske is number 1
Old September 19, 2008, 01:30 AM   #21
Stevie-Ray

I'd go with Colt
Old September 19, 2008, 12:23 PM   #22
BillCoe

What do you folks think of the Rock River Arms stuff?
Old September 19, 2008, 12:27 PM   #23
RockyMtnTactical

RRA = Middle of the road.
Old September 19, 2008, 12:39 PM   #24
overkill556x45

Best? I don't know.

I've used Bushmaster, Rock River, and now own a S&W.

All three went 'bang' every time, all shot about the same. No problems with any of them shooting Wolf, PMC, handloads, American Eagle.

"How thick is your wallet?" is a better question.
Old September 19, 2008, 12:59 PM   #25
Alleykat

I chose the rifle used by the Marine Competition Team. Guess what that is?

BTW, my Bushy Shorty has fired thousands of rounds of my reloads with no failures. "Less-reliable" gas impingement system? Hahahaha!

You can always find an anecdote, particularly on the internet, about a parts failure of some kind, with any widely-used brand of any machine made.