The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 17, 2008, 02:26 PM   #26
BigJimP

Repeatdefender asked if he really needed a shotgun for home defense - the answer is no - but buy and keep whatever you want for self defense ( if you choose to) - and please practice so you are competent with the weapon.

Zippy brings up another issue .... The legal side of the decision to keep a weapon ready for self defense is another issue entirely - and we all need to make that decision, keeping in mind any number of personal reasons - and maybe we do it, just because we can...but we all need to understand the issues we have before we make that decision ( kids or grandkids in house, relatives in house, house cleaners in house, contractors in house, etc. ) - how to secure it, is it loaded, etc. - not just the type of weapon, caliber or gague, etc. If all RepeatDefender is doing is having some fun asking questions on what we think he should have for self defense .... maybe its for fun / or maybe its because he lacks some knowledge / and hasn't really come to grips with whether he should have a weapon for defense or not ...
He'll have to decide why he is asking ...

The legal side of what may happen if you decide to use that weapon gets really deep and complicated....and like Zippy said, may have serious repercussions on us personally - emotionally and financially. We all need to be prepared to deal with these things as well - if we ever use a weapon to defend ouselves - and ideally, before we choose to keep a weapon ready to defend ourselves. Its a tough issue.

RepeatDefender, I hope your question is just having fun deciding on what you might want to keep for defensive purposes. Since you've been thru so many changes on your decision of weapon type - please just make sure, its a decision you make with your eyes open.... because " Stuff Happens "......as they say.

Personally, I choose to keep weapons available in my home, just in case .....even though I live in a very safe community and there has never been a burglary on my street in the 20 yrs we have lived here. But I choose to keep a Sig 226 in .40 with an extra 12 round mag / and a revolver in another section of my home in .357 mag with an extra speed loader.

I don't carry a weapon all the time - but when I do, my primary carry weapon is a Wilson Combat 1911, a CQB 5" in .45 acp and an extra mag / occasionally I will carry a Sig 239 (single stack ) in .40 S&W just because its small and easy to carry.

I'm a gun collector and shooter - so in my safe I have at least 30 handguns and 15 shotguns - most of which only leave the safe to go to the range or the gun club. My primary defense is the alarm on my home / and the local police dept that is very professional and quick ......if I lived outside the city limits .... I would probably add a shotgun to my "ready defense" in the house .... and it would probably be a pump field grade 12ga shotgun with a
28" barrel and # 7 1/2 shot in it ( with the plug removed from the magazine ) and an extra 8 shells.

I make a point to shoot all 4 of my primary defense and carry weapons at least once a month / and I go to the gun club or range twice a week at least - and shoot whatever suits me that day, because its fun and I like it. I still hope I never have to use a weapon to defend myself .....but I will if I have to.
Old September 25, 2008, 08:13 AM   #27
Lee Lapin

If you're not a shotgunner, you don't need an HD shotgun. You should use whatever firearm you're best with for HD. If that isn't a shotgun, and if you aren't willing to put in the training and practice time to get good with a shotgun, you shouldn't bother keeping it. You might pick it up by mistake in the off chance something bad happens, and get in trouble with it because using the shotgun is not instinctive to you.

Use what you are good with, not what somebody on an internet board who doesn't know you from Adam's housecat tells you to use. And if you think a shotgun is a better defensive weapon than anything else (which I do), then train and practice with it until you are unconsciously competent with it before you elect to use it for HD.

Stay Safe,

lpl/nc
Old September 25, 2008, 08:54 AM   #28
RepeatDefender

Thanks for all the advice ya'll. I've decided to put the 590A1 up for sale/trade: http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...d.php?t=312105
Old September 25, 2008, 09:18 AM   #29
cerberus65

Maybe you just haven't found the right shotgun yet. Maybe try a Remington 870. I love mine. I didn't think I needed or wanted a shotgun. Then I read about yet another armed home invasion in the vicinity and changed my mind. I got an 870 Express that same day and I have to say I love the thing. I even got a second, longer barrel so I could go dove hunting with a friend. Like most of my guns I now wonder how I lived without my shotgun.
Old September 28, 2008, 06:33 PM   #30
Katrina Guy

1911 is my choice

I have a home defense pump action shotgun. I agree with whomever it was that posted, in some sort of emergency situation (such as New Orleans after Katrina) a shotgun is a nice piece to hold down the neigborhood-which is why I purchased one after Katrina. However if something goes bump in the night, I'm grabbing my 1911 not some cumbersome, lengthy 870 bazooka, but that's just me probably. Also I guess some of this would depend on what size one's residence is etc. For me a semi auto handgun is preferred for what goes bump in the night, easier to pull into action as it sleeps next to me, can be operated with one hand, and 230 grains of Full Metal Jacket or Hollow Points, delivered ultra fast and on target is sufficient enough. I bought my H.D. shotgun with natural disasters/riots/insurrection etc in mind. So there.
Old October 16, 2008, 07:35 PM   #31
Katrina Guy

Humm..

Well in my abode, there is no mother in law dropping by (sure a lot in here wouldn't mind popping the old broad anyway), but if an intruder were to break into my place I surely would grab a piece and keep my ears and senses working for me as my heart pounds out of my chest, I know a couple things I would NOT do, and I'm no battle hardened or former police officer or anything.
I would not close my bedroom door and call for help, not some mocho thingy, just seems out of place in such a circumstance. I would grab a piece and keep my ears open and wouldn't plan on hollering out something like "who's there!?" nor turning on a light reveling my position nor chambering a round giving my position away. And know your state's laws on such things, some states mandate if you have a back door or a flee able way out then flee, other states feel differently. I surely wouldn't grab a shotgun with a flashlight attached to the end of it and go moving around the house, I always keep some lamps on 24 hours a day anyway so my place is always illuminated, well enough to see and intruder.
So your mother in law has a key to your place and drops in for a middle of the night unannounced visit? KINKY

Last edited by Katrina Guy; October 16, 2008 at 07:37 PM. Reason: additional text
Old October 16, 2008, 07:51 PM   #32
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

I won't give up my HD shotgun for anything... I can provide food with it as well as defense. It wouldn't bring but a hunert bucks and that will hardly be worth being with out it.
Brent
Old October 16, 2008, 08:31 PM   #33
JTMcC

Zippy13 says, "If I hear someone in my house in the middle of the night, I'm going to grab my handgun, lock the bedroom door and call LE".

In my case, and I'm guessing a lot of others as well, that would mean leaving my 4 and 6 year old girls to the mercy of some creep who just broke into my home. Not gonna happen dude.

At the point of an intruder forcibly entering my home, my sole intent is protecting my family, period. I could care less what your "liberal attorney" might say at that point.

There's a 590 in my bedroom as well as a couple of 1911's and my wifes 586.

John
Old October 16, 2008, 08:43 PM   #34
Katrina Guy

hey JT,

By the time he gets off of 911 hold, it will all be over anyway.
Old October 16, 2008, 08:58 PM   #35
rem870hunter

you hopefully will never need a hd shotgun or any hd/sd firearm for that matter. to sell it or trade would be crazy. unless you are upgrading i guess. a shotgun used indoors to defend person and family is a loud housebroom to me. if used right it will clean up nice . mines not a tacticool or mall ninja type either. no light/laser, bayonet lug or mag extension either. i have others that i could setup like that but no need to as of yet.
Old October 16, 2008, 10:44 PM   #36
kymasabe

I too have a shotgun for home defense but set up a little differently. I have the standard Mossberg 500 pump with 5 round capacity, wood stock, and a short 18" home defense/security barrel. But, being the standard 5-round version, I also have a 28", vent-rib, ported barrel with accu-choke that I can use for hunting, trap, sporting clays, etc. Makes the gun ALOT more versatile.

My only complaint....I wish I had the same package in a Remington 870 instead of the Mossberg.
Old October 16, 2008, 11:53 PM   #37
JTMcC

Katrina Guy I live 30 miles away from the closest police officer, in rural Arizona.
By the time a cop arrives out here, the emergency is over.

John
Old October 17, 2008, 02:06 AM   #38
T.A.Sharps

Every red, white, and blue blooded American should own a shotgun!
Old October 17, 2008, 04:28 AM   #39
Katrina Guy

KY, I have the Rem and wish had the Mossberg

That confounded magazine slide release's locale on the 870 drives me crazy, prefer the location of the Mossberg, and I like the location of the Mossy's safety. I haven't fired my Remington still.
Old October 17, 2008, 10:07 AM   #40
dabigguns357

I just posted in another thread like this and will say the same thing.I have a special rig for all the bumps in the night.If i'm asleep and get woke up i grab the belt and clip it on and grab my shotgun for my primary weapon.if i'm out of ammo or something happens to me or my shotgun then i still have my snubbie 357.

As far as selling the shotgun,if you aren't happy with what you got then find something you are happy with.

Old October 17, 2008, 10:12 AM   #41
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Katrinaguy hit on why I love the Mossberg as my only HD/SD gun.
It is the only gun I own that I can shoulder and still manipulate the slide release and safety and never have to dismount. I also like the safety for one more reason. There is no consistency with cross bolt safeties, some are safe to right while others are safe to left. So having owned a gob of guns with this type of safety I make sure to visually make sure gun is safe or hot, rather than rely on memory. With EVERY DERN MOSSBERG 500 SAFETY FORWARD TOWARDS TARGET IS HOTTTTT!!!!
Made fer a simple guy like me!
Brent
Old October 17, 2008, 12:29 PM   #42
Kraziken

Practice clearing a house with a longarm. Then do it again with a pistol.

Given a choice, I would rather go to a pistol first.

Even with that said, I'm rethinking my purchases and looking to probably buy a 870 in the future. You can't have too many guns/options.
Old October 17, 2008, 07:29 PM   #43
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Kraziken, I have "cleared" with both and am equally comfortable with either as far as maneuverability but the tactical advantage of the short barrel shotgun for me is a no brainer.
I just can't point shoot as well with a handgun in the darkness of my home.
Brent
Old October 17, 2008, 07:31 PM   #44
dabigguns357

Kraz i practice every day with both long gun and short,drill and more drill.My wife gets sick of it sometimes but when she sees the local news she gives in.
Old October 17, 2008, 08:48 PM   #45
geologist

I keep this in our bedroom closet plus a GLOCK17 in a digital safe.

Keep your HD shotgun, it's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

Old October 18, 2008, 09:58 AM   #46
Caeser2001

They are by my far, my favorite shotgun and will always have a special place in my heart (used that in the sandbox more than my m4), but they do have their limitations in hd, long and bulky however they throw a lotta lead downrange and get the job done.
Old October 18, 2008, 11:16 AM   #47
Yankee Traveler

Keep it.

Better to have it and not need it then need and not have it...

If you want something else...save up and buy something else...

I have a multi tool in every vehicle I own, But I buy as many specialized tools as I can afford also, I just leave them in the garage.
Old October 20, 2008, 02:29 AM   #48
Mike U.

geologist

Is that an empty hole I see where your safety goes?
Old October 20, 2008, 04:37 AM   #49
mav88

well I guess people have different preferences. For me I would first
Reach for my shotgun than any other rifle or handgun due to the fact
That I'm placed in a life/death situation the end results of
The attacker from a blast of 000 buck than a 223 or 40 cal
Gun is much more satisfying for me, knowing that one
Shot from the gauge will stop the attacker, even if he's 6"9 weighing
390 lbs which is kinda stretching it. But ya, that's the only reason
I would prefer a shotty than a rifle for me.
Old October 20, 2008, 05:42 AM   #50
zippy13

JTMcC - Katrina Guy
Yikes! Katrina Guy has awakened a sleeping dog. I thought this thread was off somewhere collecting virtual dust and cob webs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTMcC
Zippy13 says, "If I hear someone in my house in the middle of the night, I'm going to grab my handgun, lock the bedroom door and call LE".

In my case, and I'm guessing a lot of others as well, that would mean leaving my 4 and 6 year old girls to the mercy of some creep who just broke into my home. Not gonna happen dude.
You're criticizing my probable course of action based on your circumstances, not mine.
Quote:
At the point of an intruder forcibly entering my home, my sole intent is protecting my family, period. I could care less what your "liberal attorney" might say at that point.
We're empty nesters, there's no one else in the house to protect. The house is 8-inch masonry inside and out, and the bedroom door is soild core -- more robust than typical construction. By calling the cops and staying in the security of the bedroom, am I not protecting my family? I know your situation is different from mine. Would you really initiate an armed confrontation if you were in my shoes?
Were I in yours, my concern would be the day-to-day dilemma facing you (and others in your situation) of keeping ready access to your home defense weapons while keeping them secure from your children (and their curious friends). The physical precautions that keep you kids safe work against you in an emergency.
Oh, by the way, the term is: I couldn't care less, not I could care less -- think about it. Yeah, I know, half the Hollywood script writers get it wrong these days, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katrina Guy
hey JT,
By the time he gets off of 911 hold, it will all be over anyway.
That's a pretty flippant attitude about a serious subject. You've said what you're not going to do...
Quote:
I would not close my bedroom door and call for help, not some mocho thingy, just seems out of place in such a circumstance. I would grab a piece and keep my ears open and wouldn't plan on hollering out something like "who's there!?" nor turning on a light reveling my position nor chambering a round giving my position away.
but, what would you do? I consider locking the door and phoning the sheriff prudent actions without any macho overtones. If I read you correctly, you're going to sit there quietly in the dark, waiting. Waiting for what? Waiting for the intruder to leave, or waiting for an opportunity to commit murder?