The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 16, 2008, 11:33 AM   #1
RepeatDefender

Why do I need an HD shotgun?

I have asked myself this question several times already, with varying results. My previous attempts at keeping a shotty for HD were as follows: NEF .410 bore, NEF 12ga, and two Maverick 88's. All of which were sold or traded.

So now I have traded into a Mossberg 590A1, which by far is the nicest shotgun I've ever owned. The problem is, I find myself wanting to sell or trade it, as well. I ask myself why I need this shotty, when I have perfectly good semi-auto rifles and perfectly good semi-auto pistols???

So, hit me with it...am I nuts for wanting to sell/trade a perfectly good HD shotgun? Or am I sane in my belief that I really don't need a shotgun for HD? Or is this just my over-riding desire to sell/trade into something new? (Yes, my name is RepeatDefender, and I am a gun junkie)
Old September 16, 2008, 11:54 AM   #2
park ranger

Repeat Defender,

Congradulations. You have taken the first step by admitting you have a problem. I too am a gun junkie.
Old September 16, 2008, 11:58 AM   #3
hoytinak

Quote:
I ask myself why I need this shotty
You don't need it!.....so.....I send you a copy of my dealers FFL and you can send it to him, I'll even pay for the shipping for all your troubles.
Old September 16, 2008, 12:05 PM   #4
RockyMtnTactical

If you don't have an AR15 for home defense, you should keep the shotgun for home defense.
Old September 16, 2008, 12:27 PM   #5
bcrash15

Everyone has their own take on about HD guns, and like those occasional frustrating essay questions in school, there really is no single "right" answer. Granted there are some situations where it might make more sense to use a particular gun, but those are on a case by case basis.

My personal opinion is that a HD shotgun w/buckshot is a good idea, but I also have a loaded revolver handy and a loaded rifle in my safe.

Also, if I had to have a unique reason or purpose for each my guns, I'd have to sell at least 5 of them.
Old September 16, 2008, 12:28 PM   #6
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Duh... cuz you won't have to use it... just rack the action and the bad man poops his pants and falls to the floor like a pile of jelly in a gunny sack...
Brent
Old September 16, 2008, 12:54 PM   #7
BigJimP

Depends on your skill and confidence level - with shotguns, handguns, etc.

A shotgun is a great defensive weapon - but so are a lot of guns. If you want one, get it. If you want to rely on a handgun then do that - but practice with whatever you choose.
Old September 16, 2008, 12:58 PM   #8
Omaha-BeenGlockin

Sell or trade it for what???
-------Metallica
Old September 16, 2008, 01:02 PM   #9
RepeatDefender

I'm thinking Taurus PT1911, maybe?
Old September 16, 2008, 02:01 PM   #10
zippy13

My shotguns are in their cases and locked away. Most are specially customized for shooting targets, and few basic field guns. I don't own a HD-specific shotgun, and haven't considered one. IMHO, a Mossberg 590A1(and similar guns) is OE customized for shooting people and is poorly suited for hunting or targets. In reality, a tactical shotgun is an expensive part of your home's security system.

I prefer having my gun money in something that I can shoot at the range and use for HD. My .44 and .45 revolvers and pistols do this. In an emergency, I can get to a handgun faster than a tactical shotgun, and they're easier to fit in with the decor.

RepeatDefender, I find your "a Mossberg 590A1, which by far is the nicest shotgun I've ever owned" very saddening. When I think of a nice shotgun, images of graceful lines, brightly blued steel and finely figured wood come to mind, not something with less aesthetic appeal than a pineapple grenade. Wouldn't O.J. use his infamous ugly ass to describe a 590A1? Perhaps your over-riding desire to get something new is a sign of wisdom and maturity. You mentioned having rifles and pistols, do you have a nice revolver?
Old September 16, 2008, 02:13 PM   #11
oneounceload

Guess I'm wondering.....What's a "shotty"?.....

I own shotguns, have no idea what that is......
Old September 16, 2008, 02:18 PM   #12
RepeatDefender

Nope, no revolvers here. I've only ever owned one, a S&W Model 36. I guess my desire would be either a decent 1911 or a quality .357 magnum revolver.
Old September 16, 2008, 06:54 PM   #13
10-96

Quote:
Guess I'm wondering.....What's a "shotty"?.....
Me too, I always see "shottie, shotie, shotty, etc" and picture pretty little pink stocked foo-foo things with Barbie or Hello Kitty stickers all over them, fluffy worthless yap dogs, and silly little drinks with umbrellas in them.

Edit:
One thing I can say about HD SG's is when I was going through an instructor school at Trinidad, CO- they had us trying to hit clay pigeons with Patrol style (HD type) shotguns. Man, we couldn't hardly hit anything. But after a few hour of intense frustration- they turned us loose with sporting length pumps. And I swear, it was like we were all but incapable of MISSING the clay disks.

Plus- if you're ever in the midst of a natural disaster or such, a HD type shotgun is comforting to help hold the homestead/neighborhood down with. Anyway, they're just simple, durable, effective, easily maintained and like anything- a good tool- if you're comfortable and proficient... and responsible enough to call it by a mature name.

I'm going to use the words "clip" and "Long Colt" every chance I get. It grinds my gears to see new members attacked when we all know dang good and well what's being refered to.
Old September 16, 2008, 11:35 PM   #14
King Ghidora

A shotgun is the best thing for HD because when you hit something you shoot at most likely it ain't going to shoot back. A load of 00 buch is like having 9 9mm shells all firing at once. That's a heck of a blast for any BG to endure even if he's jacked up on PCP, khat, Jack Daniels, crack and crystal meth all at the same time. In other words even the zombies fall down when you shoot them with a sg.

Don't buy into the stuff about hitting everything on the other side of the room when you pull the trigger. You do need to aim a shotgun. Pistol grip only sg's are great for breaking wrists (yours not the BG's) and for being able to get off a shot in a crowded living room. But you know your house and the zombies don't. You should know where you can take cover and still get off your shots in your own house.

A pistol is my next choice for HD. I have several lying around in different places in the house in fact. I do have semi-auto rifles but that's for those Night Of The Living Dead nights when the zombies are everywhere. The trouble with pistols and rifles is that the bullet travels a long way. You might kill your neighbor that lives a mile down the road if you aren't real careful. Shotguns have a much more limited range especially if you use birdshot. And birdshot can be very effective against the zombies too. You just need to pick your ammo based on where you live. Buckshot may not be the best choice if you live in an apartment building.

Nothing says bang your dead like a good shotgun. I prefer 12 ga. but I have a 20 ga. also. That pump sound will flat scare the crap out of anyone not totally in a zombie state. Of course there's a lot to be said for semi-auto shotguns too.

The only downside to shotguns as HD is that they have a limit as far as how many shots can be loaded at a time. But some shotguns can hold as many as 10 rounds or more. Plus you can keep reloading between shots unlike a magazine type shooter. It's highly unlikely you will get past 2 or 3 shots anyway. Even zombies will give up when they hear that shuck, bang a few times.
Old September 17, 2008, 12:30 AM   #15
Slopemeno

10-96- exactly...couldnt have said it better. There's something to be said for a cheekweld and a decent fit to help you make the shot under pressue.
Old September 17, 2008, 01:01 AM   #16
joneb

I have a Winchester 1200 12ga Defender I picked up used for a $125 it works flawlessly, I'd rather it be a 870 police shotty but oh well, it works. I have other shotguns for sport, but the Defender just lays waiting....in a short range defense situation its my best gun.
Old September 17, 2008, 08:06 AM   #17
RepeatDefender

Ok, so here's my "pretty little pink stocked foo-foo thing with Barbie and Hello Kitty stickers all over it, accompanied by a fluffy worthless yap dog, and a silly little drink with an umbrella in it" aka Shotty Too Hotty

J/K! But I think it's funny that people get their hackles raised about somebody calling it a shotty. I bet ya'll correct folks that say clip insted of magazine, too, eh?

Old September 17, 2008, 10:23 AM   #18
oneounceload

Quote:
J/K! But I think it's funny that people get their hackles raised about somebody calling it a shotty. I bet ya'll correct folks that say clip insted of magazine, too, eh?
yep.....

I have something similar...in my closet....by the bed is a 357..little easier to handle (for me)
Old September 17, 2008, 11:07 AM   #19
Noonan

Why I keep my 870 loaded in the closet

If I am waking up groggy in the middle of the night, I want to be able to throw as much lead as possible in the direction of the bad guy's torso as quickly as I can. 8 shells of 00 buck fits the bill.
Old September 17, 2008, 11:20 AM   #20
dp509

Keep it. It is paid for. It is set up nicely.

If you sell it the wife will want the money

This has happened to more of my friends than I can count on both

hands

You will kick youself if you sell it
Old September 17, 2008, 11:21 AM   #21
JasonG

A HD shotgun with a full stock stands up in a corner while a pistol grip tends not to.
In addition any visiting anti will assume you accidentally left that camoed SG behind the door after your last hunting trip and not rip into you "you'd never actually point that at someone would you?"
That said, do you NEED one? No. Should you have one? L YEAH !
Old September 17, 2008, 11:28 AM   #22
RedneckFur

Looks like an excelent shotgun to me. A shotgun is a great defensive tool as well. If pistols are your thing, you may not use it, but its still a great tool to have.
Old September 17, 2008, 12:58 PM   #23
Mike U.

Lemme get this straight.
You want to sell/trade the most effective close range self/home defense weapon ever created for a handgun?!
To me, that just makes no sense at all.

At typical house distances there is no more effective felon repellent than a buck/slug loaded shotgun.
Keep the shotgun and count your blessings that you were fortunate enough to acquire one. Get out and practice, practice, practice with it until you master it and you will pat yourself on the back for making such a wise decision further down the road.
Old September 17, 2008, 01:23 PM   #24
Omaha-BeenGlockin

You already have a good gun and you want to trade it for a Taurus POS??
-------Metallica
Old September 17, 2008, 01:25 PM   #25
zippy13

It's not worth killing or being killed over stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noonan
Why I keep my 870 loaded in the closet
If I am waking up groggy in the middle of the night, I want to be able to throw as much lead as possible in the direction of the bad guy's torso as quickly as I can. 8 shells of 00 buck fits the bill.
It's been pointed out, time after time, groggy and guns are a bad combination. Of course, you'll quickly be wide awake when you realize there's someone in your closet. Call it a trench gun, riot gun, tactical, HD, or Shottie, it's ease of operation and devastating fire power favor the shooter: good guy or bag guy.

I'm an old fart, with age and maturity hopefully I've gained some wisdom. My experience with tactical SG's is real world: Twenty-five years ago, I witnessed a kidnapping victim being shot by a tactical shotgun. The expression on that poor girls face will always haunt me. (The grand jury indicted the officer on a charge of involuntary manslaughter.)

So many of you seeming anxious for an armed confrontation is disturbing. You seem convinced, if you go after an intruder with a short shotgun you'll prevail. How many times have we heard of the visiting mother-in-law being mistaken for an intruder in the middle of the night? In my area, where anti drug task forces make no-knock midnight raids at the wrong address, an armed response will get you killed. The last fellow this happened to was legally within his rights, but he's still dead.

What if you actually kill an intruder... some liberal attorney will say you over reacted. The bad guy was just stealing stuff, he didn't threaten you. It's hard to say you were reacting in self defense with a gun that's so obviously offensive. If I hear someone in my house in the middle of the night, I'm going to grab my handgun, lock the bedroom door and call LE. I think my chances of survival are better than if I initiate a confrontation. It's not worth killing or being killed over stuff.

For those of you who read the NRA's monthly column The Armed Citizen, you'll have noticed that tactical shotguns are rarely involved in specific incidents where good guys with guns prevail over bad guys.