The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 14, 2008, 12:07 AM   #1
Teuthis

Beretta Golden Snipe

Does anyone have an idea of the general value of a like-new, Beretta Golden Snipe over/under shotgun in 12 gauge? It appears to have been manufactured in the early 1960's and is in almost, unfired condition.
Old September 16, 2008, 08:46 AM   #2
FALshootist

These are great guns. I love mine, even with its fixed chokes and non selective trigger.

The last time someone asked this (a couple of weeks ago and maybe it was on THR) the answer was around $795 But I've seen people ASk (who knows what they atually got) for more on GA.
Old September 24, 2008, 11:54 AM   #3
BigJimP

Any gun, without screw in chokes these days, is really dropping in value ( maybe $ 500 in my area ) even if its really clean. For most of us, buying this gun would mean sending it to Briley - to have it bored - and screw in chokes threaded and fit into barrel ( probably $ 500 by the time you're done ) with freight, choke tubes, etc. / so you're into this gun for $ 1,000 vs buying a gun that has screw in chokes already in it.

I prefer a gun that's versatile and able to shoot Skeet, Trap or Sporting Clays - as well as grouse, pheasant, quail, etc. A fixed choke gun is kind of nostalgic - but it just doesn't fit the bill very well.
Old September 29, 2008, 09:51 PM   #4
FALshootist

Alot of people like screw in chokes and some pay alot of money for them. Me, I own guns with them (because thats how they came), but they are rarely or ever changed (I usually use full or modified).

My Golden Snipe has a full choke lower barrel. It doesn't matter what game I'm playing, usually trap (too bad we no longer have a sporting clays field close by). The bottom line though is, I either point correctly and hit or don't and miss.

I like a more open choke (modified)for hunting, that way the bird doesn't get hit with too many pellets (I like eating bird, but not lead). But again, this is just a matter of knowing how your gun patterns and pointing appropriately, so the bird is not obliterated with the full load of shot.

I look at screw in chokes as a crutch, either you can shoot or you can't. However, alot of shooting comes down to confidence with the gun you are using. If screw in chokes give you more confidence, well then for you they are worth the money.

Which is great, because then people like me get great prices on great guns like the Golden Snipe that don't have all the current bells and whistles gun makers would like you to believe that you need to be a good shot.
Old October 1, 2008, 12:37 PM   #5
BigJimP

Most of the books that teach shotgunning will talk about the idea of putting a 30" pattern - dense enough to kill the target (clay, fir or feathers) at the kill range - without any holes in it for the target to slip thru. Density is affected by all kinds of things including pellet size, velocity, etc so picking your loads with your chokes is important too - but sticking with just choke for this discussion.

Tighter patterns at the kill range don't make you a better shotgunner / they just give you a tighter and more dense pattern - which really defeats the concept of a shotgun. Tightening up the pattern a little - might be ok for practice - but going too tight isn't good shotgunning funamentals. By tightening up a little - I mean going from a Skeet to an Imp Cyclinder might be ok at 21 yards - but going to a Mod or Full choke at 21 yards makes no sense to me.

In general a kill range of 21 yards means a Skeet choke / a kill range of about 35 Yards ( like on singles trap from the 16 yard line - where the bird travels to about 35 yards before it is hit ) means a Modified choke / a kill range of 45 yards ( like single trap from the 27 yard line ) means a Full choke ( assuming we're talking lead shot of course ).

Changing the choke in your gun - to fit the expected kill range - allows you to use all your fundamentals of executing a good shot. In my view, screw in chokes were a great innovation - and its allowed more shotgunners to be able to enjoy a variety of games and hunting with just one gun vs 3 or 4 guns like when I was a kid when we had grouse guns, quail guns, pheasant guns, duck guns, etc - all with different fixed chokes / different length barrels, etc.

In shotguns the number one issue is gun fit - with your eye being the rear sight - its critical for the point of impact on the gun to be exactly where you are looking / not 12" high at 21 yards, etc ..... The days of picking up any old shotgun, using a pump gun as an example, with an angled comb on it and expect it to fit everyone - and to somehow imply they just need to practice if they can't hit anything is ridiculous. The "standard" field comb on a pump-gun doesn't fit very many people at all - and it doesn't make us better shooters if we have to somehow allow for a gun that shoots 12" high for us as 21 yards. Picking the right Choke to do the job - at the kill range - is just as important to good shotgunning fundamentals. Screw in chokes are not just a crutch ...